Search found 6904 matches

by Skepdick
Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:10 pm
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: Is morality objective or subjective?
Replies: 1530
Views: 51794

Re: Is morality objective or subjective?

So in your typical interaction with people offline, do you regularly judge if they're asking questions "they don't need to be asking" and then telling them this if you feel that the question is unnecessary? In my typical interaction with people offline I would follow up with "The answer I was going...
by Skepdick
Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:52 pm
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: What could make morality objective?
Replies: 4782
Views: 260083

Re: What could make morality objective?

Sorry, but again this is the claim, not evidence for the claim that abstract things exist somehow, somewhere. That we have and talk about experiences, using shared language, is true. But this isn't evidence that what you call brain-minds exist. Ohhh, you reject abstract entities, do you? What or wh...
by Skepdick
Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:46 pm
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: Is morality objective or subjective?
Replies: 1530
Views: 51794

Re: Is morality objective or subjective?

A question can also be a way of gauging whether someone will be worth having a conversation with, to see if they'll directly, honestly answer something simple. If people in a conversation aren't willing to do this or capable of doing so, for whatever psychological reasons, then there's likely going...
by Skepdick
Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:34 pm
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: Is morality objective or subjective?
Replies: 1530
Views: 51794

Re: Is morality objective or subjective?

So one thing I'd be doing is seeing just how committed you are to not giving a straight/direct/simple answer to anything. That's why I'd resort to asking something like: "Yes/No: Your name on this board is Skepdick?" And you continue to demonstrate your inability to navigate around confirmation bia...
by Skepdick
Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:38 pm
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: Moral Drive = Moral Ought
Replies: 25
Views: 162

Re: Moral Drive = Moral Ought

the usual set of logical problems :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Why are you reducing this to a computational problem? You made your usual cack handed attempt to tu quoque me, with its own boringly familiar failings. Nothing worthy of note happened at all. Yep. None of us are surprised by your usual...
by Skepdick
Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:04 pm
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: Is morality objective or subjective?
Replies: 1530
Views: 51794

Re: Is morality objective or subjective?

Yeah, it's definitely better to give an answer that seems instead like you're being an ass who won't give a straight answer to anything. It really isn't "better". Especially since you seem to be asking a question the answer to which you already have/know. So it really makes me wonder whether you ev...
by Skepdick
Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:57 pm
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: Is morality objective or subjective?
Replies: 1530
Views: 51794

Re: Is morality objective or subjective?

You're the first person I've met with your sort of personality online who won't give a straight answer to anything. And if you believe that . . . Usually folks with the sort of (at least online) personality you have won't even give a straight answer to a question like, "Is your nickname here 'Skepd...
by Skepdick
Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:42 pm
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: Is morality objective or subjective?
Replies: 1530
Views: 51794

Re: Is morality objective or subjective?

Terrapin Station wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:30 pm So were you saying that decisions require information or not?
Does it? You should know by now...
by Skepdick
Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:08 pm
Forum: Political Philosophy
Topic: reverse voting
Replies: 17
Views: 100

Re: reverse voting

This idea actually has merit.

We know damn well that people have negatively bias - the unhappy speak up much louder than the happy.

Voting against is a stronger signal than voting for. Whether it has some unforeseen clusterfuck side-effects... I dunno.
by Skepdick
Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:05 pm
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: What is a right action?
Replies: 197
Views: 2017

Re: What is a right action?

I think the problem that presents itself is that although moral objectivism holds water, conflict arises when principles oppose each other, as in the case of abortions. On the one hand you have women who want bodily autonomy. On the other hand you have sanctimonious anti-abortion zealots. Who do yo...
by Skepdick
Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:14 pm
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: Moral Drive = Moral Ought
Replies: 25
Views: 162

Re: Moral Drive = Moral Ought

That you reduce everything you don't understand to computational problems that perhaps you do, but which seldom have relevance to the starting issue. Then you forget what was even really being discussed and just talk about computers. Which is why I also translated it for you in English by calling i...
by Skepdick
Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:49 pm
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: Moral Drive = Moral Ought
Replies: 25
Views: 162

Re: Moral Drive = Moral Ought

FlashDangerpants wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:43 pm I assumed you would at least not immediately make my point for me.
Oh, no! You made a point! *slow clap* FlashDangerdork has learned to use words to express himself.

What was the point of your point?
by Skepdick
Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:30 pm
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: What is a right action?
Replies: 197
Views: 2017

Re: What is a right action?

Peter Holmes wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:04 am Third, the fact that we have to choose our moral principles - and can choose different ones - alone demolishes the case for moral objectivism.
You still haven't chosen to kill yourself though.

Until you do, moral objectivity stands unabolished.
by Skepdick
Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:27 pm
Forum: Ethical Theory
Topic: What is a right action?
Replies: 197
Views: 2017

Re: What is a right action?

Peter Holmes wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:18 pm Codswallop. What we call objectivity is independence from opinion when considering the facts. So facts are the given.
If facts are given then what do you need "objectivity" for ?!?!
by Skepdick
Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:26 pm
Forum: Political Philosophy
Topic: reverse voting
Replies: 17
Views: 100

Re: reverse voting

commonsense wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:19 pm ...as many as they want...? How would that work?
You get to veto everyone.

As a form of protest against the available options. Choose not to choose.