Search found 729 matches

by AlexW
Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:55 am
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: How do we know that we know and how do we know that we don't know?
Replies: 37
Views: 556

Re: How do we know that we know and how do we know that we don't know?

Without memory there certainly is no individual person, but the concept that without memory there is no person at all is intriguing. Without memory, wouldn’t one essentially be a zombie? Haha... thats a funny idea. When you were born - a baby - were you a zombie? Not remembering something - or even...
by AlexW
Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:29 am
Forum: Metaphysics
Topic: There was a beginning
Replies: 62
Views: 1405

Re: There was a beginning

You actually do. For a simple example, you can hear and feel something simultaneously yet distinguish them as different senses. This works also within each single complex sense. The ear interprets two distinct sounds because it has AT THE LEAST two distinct triggering parts within the inner ear tha...
by AlexW
Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:08 am
Forum: Metaphysics
Topic: There was a beginning
Replies: 62
Views: 1405

Re: There was a beginning

Before I can respond to you, what is "DE"? Direct experience - perception made up of the input received via the five senses plus thought. The question is: Do our thought based, conceptual interpretations match with our direct perception/experience? If you ask me... then no... there never is an expe...
by AlexW
Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:04 am
Forum: Metaphysics
Topic: Things cannot be simultaneous
Replies: 60
Views: 753

Re: Things cannot be simultaneous

bahman wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:54 am You are talking about what do you perceive?
Yes.
Don't you think its actually a good idea to base ones interpretations of the "nature of reality/the universe" on what is actually directly perceived?
If you don't ever perceive separate particles/things, why build a theory on it?
by AlexW
Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:50 am
Forum: Metaphysics
Topic: Things cannot be simultaneous
Replies: 60
Views: 753

Re: Things cannot be simultaneous

bahman wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:44 am So you are happy with quantum fields?
I am happy with my direct experience - which is not of particles, but also not of quantum fields.
by AlexW
Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:40 am
Forum: Metaphysics
Topic: Things cannot be simultaneous
Replies: 60
Views: 753

Re: Things cannot be simultaneous

bahman wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:07 pm What is your point? Any particle no matter how the universe is has a set of properties. Then the universe has a set of properties.
The point is that the universe is not made up of separate particles - and as such there is no such particle to have a set of properties.
by AlexW
Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:07 am
Forum: Metaphysics
Topic: Things cannot be simultaneous
Replies: 60
Views: 753

Re: Things cannot be simultaneous

Because the system at any point is defined by a set of parameters. So the system cannot have these parameters and other parameters. What you are doing could be compared to someone gazing at the sky, then deciding to dissect it into, lets say 8x8 squares (like a chess board), focus on one square and...
by AlexW
Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:13 am
Forum: Metaphysics
Topic: There was a beginning
Replies: 62
Views: 1405

Re: There was a beginning

Unless you contain and can access an infinite memory of existence, you have no reason to INFER that the world existed by 'direct experience' prior to your birth. True. But, based on DE, you don't even have any reason to infer that any separate thing exists - a reason/interpretation only arises once...
by AlexW
Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:19 am
Forum: Metaphysics
Topic: There was a beginning
Replies: 62
Views: 1405

Re: There was a beginning

bahman wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:19 pm The universe is infinite by its infiniteness does not affect my argument.
It sure does.
bahman wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:19 pm Even your mind experience of state at any point.
I don't understand this sentence.
by AlexW
Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:07 am
Forum: Metaphysics
Topic: There was a beginning
Replies: 62
Views: 1405

Re: There was a beginning

The whole is certainly closed since there is nothing left to interact with externally. Exactly, there is nothing that is not "the whole". As such, stating that "the whole" is closed is an attempt at limiting the unlimited - as soon as you award "the whole" any attribute, it is not whole anymore, it...
by AlexW
Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:01 am
Forum: Metaphysics
Topic: There was a beginning
Replies: 62
Views: 1405

Re: There was a beginning

We are not in heat death therefore we are somewhere between the beginning and heat death. This might be true if the system were closed... but is it? As I see it, a "closed system" is not more than an ideal state that scientists attempt to achieve when conducting experiments, but in reality there is...
by AlexW
Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:28 am
Forum: Metaphysics
Topic: There was a beginning
Replies: 62
Views: 1405

Re: There was a beginning

Begin by asking yourself what reality could mean if it has some apriori 'law'? As I see it, there is only one way to experience reality: with the senses All you actually can do is to see, hear, smell, taste and feel/touch "reality" - this is what I would call: direct experience (DE) Now one can thi...
by AlexW
Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:33 am
Forum: Metaphysics
Topic: There was a beginning
Replies: 62
Views: 1405

Re: There was a beginning

Although the concept, 'origin', can be misleading, once you understand how an absolute nothing exists as the background PRIOR to space and time, then it 'originates' reality based upon nothing at all There is no way to understand "how an absolute nothing exists" - if you try and attempt it, all you...
by AlexW
Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:54 am
Forum: Metaphysics
Topic: There was a beginning
Replies: 62
Views: 1405

Re: There was a beginning

Heat death is the final state of any close system eventually. This is due to the second law of thermodynamics that states that entropy (disorder) increases in any close system. We are not in heat death therefore there was a beginning. How does this follow? I don't see your point... And how would yo...
by AlexW
Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:16 am
Forum: Metaphysics
Topic: Perfection is Both Relative and Absolute
Replies: 33
Views: 1093

Re: Perfection is Both Relative and Absolute

You cannot seperate belief from reality without separating one reality from another. The emergence of one reality from another is like an immaculate conception - there seems to be a new entity, a child, yet there was no conception... its a miracle! Later on the miracle is solved/explained: Jesus sa...