Search found 264 matches

by Averroes
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:12 am
Forum: Philosophy of Language
Topic: Is It Possible To Think Without Language?
Replies: 584
Views: 13905

Re: Is It Possible To Think Without Language?

To all members of the forum who are interested: A statement was made but the claimer found himself/herself incapable of backing it up even when challenged. It was claimed that there can be thoughts which cannot be expressed in language. Here is one of the statements: And yet is precisely the thought...
by Averroes
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:04 am
Forum: Philosophy of Language
Topic: Is It Possible To Think Without Language?
Replies: 584
Views: 13905

Re: Is It Possible To Think Without Language?

TimeSeeker wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:09 pm
Averroes wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:00 pm
(...)Write exclusively in the “high level languages” as from now; yet again I am challenging you.
I need not present a counter-argument.
Alright, so you declined the challenge. For the record, I gave you nearly two months to prove your claims as you had claimed possible. Time to move on now!
by Averroes
Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:00 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Language
Topic: Is It Possible To Think Without Language?
Replies: 584
Views: 13905

Re: Is It Possible To Think Without Language?

But, you aren't asking me to write an argument. You are asking me to write a counter-argument. To YOUR claim. And so I am happy to do that just as soon as you present YOUR argument (set of propositions) in lambda calculus. You are still arguing in English?! You so much wanted to abandon English and...
by Averroes
Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:45 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Language
Topic: Is It Possible To Think Without Language?
Replies: 584
Views: 13905

Re: Is It Possible To Think Without Language?

English (and all natural languages) are broken - their Turing-completeness can't even be verified unless their grammar is formally defined. You don't get to insist on "proof" while also insisting that it be proven in a framework which lacks the grammar and semantics to express it. If English (or an...
by Averroes
Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:07 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Language
Topic: Is It Possible To Think Without Language?
Replies: 584
Views: 13905

Re: Is It Possible To Think Without Language?

And I will insist in turn that you be logical in English. English (and all natural languages) are broken - their Turing-completeness can't even be verified unless their grammar is formally defined. You don't get to insist on "proof" while also insisting that it be proven in a framework which lacks ...
by Averroes
Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:43 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Language
Topic: Is It Possible To Think Without Language?
Replies: 584
Views: 13905

Re: Is It Possible To Think Without Language?

I am not running from it. I just insist I am scrutinized on my use of logic not English. And I will insist in turn that you be logical in English. As you are incapable of philosophizing in English anymore, then our exchange is arriving to an end. Anyway, it was an interesting discussion we have had...
by Averroes
Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:41 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Language
Topic: Is It Possible To Think Without Language?
Replies: 584
Views: 13905

Re: Is It Possible To Think Without Language?

So? We started it in English. We can end it in Python. We need higher order logic and stronger semantics. Language is language, right? Don’t be appealing to a bandwagon fallacy now. Just write the damn contradiction in Python already and prove me wrong. I have handed you a falsifier on a silver pla...
by Averroes
Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:03 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Language
Topic: Is It Possible To Think Without Language?
Replies: 584
Views: 13905

Re: Is It Possible To Think Without Language?

I can’t translate it into English or Lambda calculus. This proving my case. We are on a philosophy forum having a discussion on the philosophy of language section of the forum. We started in English, and we will end it in English so that everybody who have been following and reading on the forum ca...
by Averroes
Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:15 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Language
Topic: Is It Possible To Think Without Language?
Replies: 584
Views: 13905

Re: Is It Possible To Think Without Language?

By the Curry-Howard isomorphism Python is intuinistic logic. It is Lambda calculus. Show me a contradiction. Otherwise your rejection of my proof is baseless. I am still waiting for the proof. You have had failed attempts so far. When you are done post it here. I can’t translate it into English or ...
by Averroes
Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:11 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Language
Topic: Is It Possible To Think Without Language?
Replies: 584
Views: 13905

Re: Is It Possible To Think Without Language?

It isn’t. I am awaiting on your feedback having successfully shifted the burden of proof. OKAY! My feedback is: get back to work and prove what you had said you would prove by unholding the law of non-contradiction as is the case in intuitionistic logic. I am still waiting. By the Curry-Howard isom...
by Averroes
Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:03 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Language
Topic: Is It Possible To Think Without Language?
Replies: 584
Views: 13905

Re: Is It Possible To Think Without Language?

But I did prove it? Except you rejected my proof by claiming it's a contradiction. Since I reject the LNC and you don't and since you believe that all thought can be expressed in language then you should have no problem expressing the thought process (e.g ALGORITHM) by which you ASSERTED that I hav...
by Averroes
Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:52 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Language
Topic: Is It Possible To Think Without Language?
Replies: 584
Views: 13905

Re: Is It Possible To Think Without Language?

On your promise of proving that there are thoughts which cannot be expressed in language in intuitionistic logic? You said this previously: But I did prove it? Except you rejected my proof by claiming it's a contradiction. Since I reject the LNC and you don't and since you believe that all thought ...
by Averroes
Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:42 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Language
Topic: Is It Possible To Think Without Language?
Replies: 584
Views: 13905

Re: Is It Possible To Think Without Language?

TimeSeeker wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:03 pm
Averroes wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:59 pm
On your promise of proving that there are thoughts which cannot be expressed in language in intuitionistic logic? You said this previously:
But I did prove it? Except you rejected my proof by claiming it's a contradiction.
So, that's you final say on the matter?
by Averroes
Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:59 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Language
Topic: Is It Possible To Think Without Language?
Replies: 584
Views: 13905

Re: Is It Possible To Think Without Language?

Are you giving up then? On? On your promise of proving that there are thoughts which cannot be expressed in language in intuitionistic logic? You said this previously: You have set yourself up for disappointment. You have contrived an impossible challenge. A game that cannot be won given the rules ...
by Averroes
Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:51 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Language
Topic: Is It Possible To Think Without Language?
Replies: 584
Views: 13905

Re: Is It Possible To Think Without Language?

TimeSeeker wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:49 pm
Averroes wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:48 pm
There is still the law of non-contradiction.
Sorry. That is an appeal to authority. Such a 'law' does not exist.
Are you giving up then?