Search found 615 matches

by wtf
Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:54 am
Forum: Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics
Topic: (n→∞) → 0
Replies: 2
Views: 83

Re: (n→∞) → 0

Take for example the example of a 1d line projecting into a 0d point. The line, while infinite, has nowhere to go and in effect must folded in upon itself if it is to exist considering the line can only project if there is somewhere for it project to. I don't follow your mysticism. Consider the fun...
by wtf
Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:52 pm
Forum: Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics
Topic: Pick the Door with the Prize!
Replies: 25
Views: 250

Re: Pick the Door with the Prize!

Mike Strand wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:30 pm

Looks like fun, wtf, and thanks for the link. Maybe you should start a thread on it.
Phil is the thread starter here.
by wtf
Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:38 pm
Forum: Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics
Topic: Pick the Door with the Prize!
Replies: 25
Views: 250

Re: Pick the Door with the Prize!

Mike Strand wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:18 pm
Is anyone still interested in these two exercises?
You should take a look at the infinite hat puzzle. Much more counterintuitive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hat_puzzle
by wtf
Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:48 am
Forum: Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics
Topic: Probability
Replies: 24
Views: 279

Re: Probability

I should probably just stay out of this. But there are several people conducting what seem to be rational conversations regarding the nature and location and probabilities of X and Y. But it is manifestly clear that the OP's exposition does not show any X or Y nor does the OP define them. I pressed ...
by wtf
Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:37 am
Forum: Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics
Topic: Parallel postulate
Replies: 12
Views: 95

Re: Parallel postulate

Arising_uk wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:28 am
This is a misunderstanding of the historical development of Mathematics but if there is a foundation for Maths then it is Set Theory(although no doubt wtf can put me right here as my knowledge of further mathematical developments is woefully out of date).
Couldn't have said it better myself.
by wtf
Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:35 pm
Forum: The Lounge
Topic: Math symbols
Replies: 10
Views: 95

Re: Math symbols

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:18 pm
That's your interpretation.
Explain to me what you think is going on.
by wtf
Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:14 pm
Forum: The Lounge
Topic: Math symbols
Replies: 10
Views: 95

Re: Math symbols

The joke's on you since I'm not the one who said it. :lol: The joke wasn't intended to be on you. It was FOR you. You must have a boring life Half-Wit (or is it dimwit or nitwit?) :lol: You just can't read which you've already proven. 🇺🇲PhilX🇺🇲 Like I said, Phil, when you understand my little joke ...
by wtf
Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:55 am
Forum: The Lounge
Topic: Math symbols
Replies: 10
Views: 95

Re: Math symbols

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:46 am
The joke's on you since I'm not the one who said it. :lol:
The joke wasn't intended to be on you. It was FOR you.
by wtf
Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:44 am
Forum: The Lounge
Topic: Math symbols
Replies: 10
Views: 95

Re: Math symbols

Since you've already said you know next to nothing about math and what you've posted doesn't relate to the OP, then this can be disregarded. It's impossible to know next to nothing in math. If you knew anything at all, some other idiot could always know half as much as you. So you did NOT in fact k...
by wtf
Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:25 am
Forum: Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics
Topic: Pick the Door with the Prize!
Replies: 25
Views: 250

Re: Pick the Door with the Prize!

Mike Strand wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:39 pm
To wtf: Posing the game with goats as losers and a car as the prize led to this anecdote: There was a farmer who played the game and never switched, because he wanted a goat more than the car.
There's an xkcd for that.

https://xkcd.com/1282/
by wtf
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:33 pm
Forum: Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics
Topic: Pick the Door with the Prize!
Replies: 25
Views: 250

Re: Pick the Door with the Prize!

The problem becomes clear once we explicitly state the assumptions. * Monty knows what's behind each door. * Monty must reveal exactly one door. * Monty must reveal a door concealing a goat. Now the puzzle is clear. The player makes a choice. 1/3 of the time the player chooses correctly and the othe...
by wtf
Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:50 pm
Forum: Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics
Topic: Dimensionless points
Replies: 20
Views: 178

Re: Dimensionless points

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:20 pm
PS No I don't have a cat (what a silly question).
You type all this stuff yourself?
by wtf
Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:06 pm
Forum: Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics
Topic: Dimensionless points
Replies: 20
Views: 178

Re: Dimensionless points

I already logically proved it when I talked about QM earlier which says that particles occupy all of space. Didn't you say earlier that you haven't got proof? That you have "evidence" in the form of a claim (unsourced, unlinked, unsupported) that QM implies dimensionless points? How did you get fro...
by wtf
Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:39 am
Forum: Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics
Topic: Dimensionless points
Replies: 20
Views: 178

Re: Dimensionless points

Clearly the QM statement I made is evidence which is supported by physicists that dimensionless points do exist, otherwise we wouldn't have QM (which someone has said is one of physics strongest theories). So we agree that there's evidence but no proof. I can live with that, especially since I don'...
by wtf
Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:04 am
Forum: Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics
Topic: Dimensionless points
Replies: 20
Views: 178

Re: Dimensionless points

Should I disbelieve everything you have said because you incorrectly said I quoted in parts? You seem unduly hung up on my having supposedly accused you of something. Surely if you posted some words from a Quora link but did not post the link, I'm entitled to wonder whether the quote is represented...