Search found 2613 matches

by Dubious
Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:41 am
Forum: The Lounge
Topic: American election.
Replies: 1202
Views: 22428

Re: Wallace-Wells, David. The Uninhabitable Earth

henry quirk wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:38 am
😜
Same to you!
by Dubious
Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:29 am
Forum: The Lounge
Topic: American election.
Replies: 1202
Views: 22428

Re: American election.

by Dubious
Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:01 am
Forum: The Lounge
Topic: American election.
Replies: 1202
Views: 22428

Re: American election.

Wow! Just wow! The future seems incredibly bleak. We need a forum just dedicated to environmental philosophy or philosophy of environmentalism or something. Although it's not a very pleasant topic to discuss at this point. Speaking of incredibly bleak... A new report is expected in 2022, but the mo...
by Dubious
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:32 am
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: How do we get conditioned?
Replies: 20
Views: 253

Re: How do we get conditioned?

If there is a single word that could describe the set of criteria by which to judge the pros and cons I would choose eudaemonia . Fair enough, it's just for some a good life is sex and drugs and rock and roll, while for others it's living in a monastery. That's right! They decide and chose what mak...
by Dubious
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:00 am
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: How do we get conditioned?
Replies: 20
Views: 253

Re: How do we get conditioned?

So how do you judge pros and cons? Usually by its effect long-term. Short-term can be misleading. You still need some set of criteria by which to judge pro and con. The point is what are those criteria? It's up to one's judgement professionally or personally to make that call; analyzing a response ...
by Dubious
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:44 am
Forum: Epistemology - Theory of Knowledge
Topic: IF the universe was created THEN...
Replies: 109
Views: 874

Re: IF the universe was created THEN...

Where in the OP is there any claim that 'a god did it'? "Are we able to identify possible evidence which scientific research has uncovered within this universe which could point to the possibility we do actually exist within a creation?" If it is a creation as you claim, then where is your evidence...
by Dubious
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:31 am
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: How do we get conditioned?
Replies: 20
Views: 253

Re: How do we get conditioned?

tillingborn wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:01 am
Dubious wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:50 am
tillingborn wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:13 pm What makes an outcome positive?
The pros being in excess of cons. Seldom is there any purity of outcome in what is usually an either/or situation.
So how do you judge pros and cons?
Usually by its effect long-term. Short-term can be misleading.
by Dubious
Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:23 am
Forum: Epistemology - Theory of Knowledge
Topic: IF the universe was created THEN...
Replies: 109
Views: 874

Re: IF the universe was created THEN...

So you are saying that the universe was created? Certainly creation took place which doesn't mean a god did it or had anything to do with it. Where in the OP is there any claim that 'a god did it'? "Are we able to identify possible evidence which scientific research has uncovered within this univer...
by Dubious
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:52 am
Forum: Epistemology - Theory of Knowledge
Topic: IF the universe was created THEN...
Replies: 109
Views: 874

Re: IF the universe was created THEN...

Are we able to identify possible evidence which scientific research has uncovered within this universe which could point to the possibility we do actually exist within a creation? We do live within a creation namely the one that created us and everything existing within it called the universe. So y...
by Dubious
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:50 am
Forum: Philosophy of Mind
Topic: How do we get conditioned?
Replies: 20
Views: 253

Re: How do we get conditioned?

tillingborn wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:13 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:08 pmWorks better if there are rewards/positive outcomes versus negative outcomes, too.
What makes an outcome positive?
The pros being in excess of cons. Seldom is there any purity of outcome in what is usually an either/or situation.
by Dubious
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:45 am
Forum: Epistemology - Theory of Knowledge
Topic: IF the universe was created THEN...
Replies: 109
Views: 874

Re: IF the universe was created THEN...

VVilliam wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:33 am
Are we able to identify possible evidence which scientific research has uncovered within this universe which could point to the possibility we do actually exist within a creation?
We do live within a creation namely the one that created us and everything existing within it called the universe.
by Dubious
Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:10 am
Forum: Philosophy of Religion
Topic: What are the Benefits of Theism?
Replies: 438
Views: 5332

Re: What are the Benefits of Theism?

For those prone to wishful thinking together with an easy incorporation of both fear and the absurd, its benefits offer a temporary anodyne as recompense for an uncertain or miserable existence. Absurdity lies at the very root of theistic beliefs upholding a reality only believed in and subsequently...
by Dubious
Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:51 am
Forum: Coronavirus Discussions
Topic: '20/'21: not safe for anyone
Replies: 1782
Views: 47124

Re: grit: better get yourself some...you're gonna need it

https://www.azquotes.com/picture-quotes/quote-nothing-in-this-world-can-take-the-place-of-persistence-talent-will-not-nothing-is-more-calvin-coolidge-6-34-55.jpg I like this saying by Calvin Coolidge because it's almost all true. However, it's not in the least certain, if not downright unlikely, th...
by Dubious
Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:16 am
Forum: Philosophy of Religion
Topic: Putting ''Immanuel Can'' In The Religious Spotlight Part 2
Replies: 152
Views: 2160

Re: Putting ''Immanuel Can'' In The Religious Spotlight Part 2

I'm going to order a Bible on Amazon today. Can you believe I haven't even got a Bible in the house. I've always just read the Bible online through the internet, but now I want to own the actual book, do you have any recommendations? thanks! :D Though it wasn't me who was asked, I ordered this a fe...
by Dubious
Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:47 am
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: Was Marx Right
Replies: 67
Views: 1228

Re: Was Marx Right

It is a basic question: Does social existence determine our quality of consciousness or does our consciousness, our "being," determine our existence? The first question, I think, that should have been asked is how social existence relates to existence per se since consciousness, to whatever degree,...