Search found 520 matches

by A_Seagull
Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:19 pm
Forum: Epistemology - Theory of Knowledge
Topic: Are the Three Laws of Logic correct?
Replies: 52
Views: 5976

Re: Are the Three Laws of Logic correct?

1) The Law of Identity - An apple is an apple 2) The Law of Non-Contradiction - an apple is not a non-apple 3) The Law of Excluded Middle - it is either true or false that I just ate an apple Can any of these be shown to be correct without referring back to them to do it? This isn't a law for anyth...
by A_Seagull
Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:03 am
Forum: Epistemology - Theory of Knowledge
Topic: Are the Three Laws of Logic correct?
Replies: 52
Views: 5976

Re: Are the Three Laws of Logic correct?

Owen wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:33 pm
The three so-called laws of thought are theorems of classical logic, not axioms of classical logic.
So what are the axioms for which these so called laws are theorems? Be specific, for we are dealing with logic here.
by A_Seagull
Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:21 pm
Forum: Articles in Philosophy Now
Topic: What is the Philosophy of Mathematics?
Replies: 55
Views: 1848

Re: What is the Philosophy of Mathematics?

In the article numbers are considered objects but that is a misnomer. An object is a material thing that can be seen and touched. A subject is a thing that is being discussed, described, or dealt with. Numbers are not objects, but symbolic of amounts. To be meaningful numbers require referents like...
by A_Seagull
Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:41 am
Forum: Articles in Philosophy Now
Topic: What is the Philosophy of Mathematics?
Replies: 55
Views: 1848

Re: What is the Philosophy of Mathematics?

In the article numbers are considered objects but that is a misnomer. An object is a material thing that can be seen and touched. A subject is a thing that is being discussed, described, or dealt with. Numbers are not objects, but symbolic of amounts. To be meaningful numbers require referents like...
by A_Seagull
Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:53 am
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: humans fear trolls, since trolls know the truth
Replies: 6
Views: 112

Re: humans fear trolls, since trolls know the truth

Haha .. yet more lies from the troll.
by A_Seagull
Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:24 am
Forum: General Philosophical Discussion
Topic: Trolls, the superior race
Replies: 27
Views: 356

Re: Trolls, the superior race

Trolls are liars!
by A_Seagull
Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:19 am
Forum: Philosophy of Science
Topic: The Problem of Measurement and Planck Time
Replies: 2
Views: 70

Re: The Problem of Measurement and Planck Time

Do you know how to work out what the Planck Time is in seconds? It's not hard.
by A_Seagull
Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:12 am
Forum: Philosophy of Science
Topic: Talk about correlation of entangled particles! Boy...
Replies: 16
Views: 189

Re: Talk about correlation of entangled particles! Boy...

Two electrons can have entangled spins. So that when one is measured as one way the other one immediately adopts the other. .. adopts the other... what? other electron? Or other way? The semantic is entirely unclear from the syntax as presented. I must now understand that electrons have legal proce...
by A_Seagull
Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:39 pm
Forum: Philosophy of Science
Topic: Talk about correlation of entangled particles! Boy...
Replies: 16
Views: 189

Re: Talk about correlation of entangled particles! Boy...

To my understaning, if an electron is entangled (in the quantum mechanism sense) with another one, then if one changes the direction of spin, the other one changes it immediately as well. Not quite .. in my understanding anyway. Two electrons can have entangled spins. So that when one is measured a...
by A_Seagull
Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:29 am
Forum: Articles in Philosophy Now
Topic: The Truth about Lying
Replies: 3
Views: 67

Re: The Truth about Lying

A new column by Joel Marks. https://philosophynow.org/issues/27/The_Truth_about_Lying The author wrote: “Tomorrow is going to be a beautiful day,” you say to your child, who is afraid the planned family picnic will be rained out. But you believe the rain that has been falling all week will continue...
by A_Seagull
Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:28 am
Forum: Articles in Philosophy Now
Topic: Wanted: Schrödinger’s Cat Dead or Alive!
Replies: 3
Views: 69

Re: Wanted: Schrödinger’s Cat Dead or Alive!

They should do the thought experiment with a person instead of a cat. But I suppose the PC brigade would be up in arms....
by A_Seagull
Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:47 am
Forum: Articles in Philosophy Now
Topic: Doing Away With Scientism
Replies: 62
Views: 1640

Re: Doing Away With Scientism

Pjotr777 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:15 am
If we pose a theory which cant be proven nor falsified. What is this called? Metaphysics or philosophy?
No theories that refer to the real world can be proven or proven false.

It is only naïve non-scientists who think that they can.
by A_Seagull
Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:19 am
Forum: Articles in Philosophy Now
Topic: Doing Away With Scientism
Replies: 62
Views: 1640

Re: Doing Away With Scientism

Londoner wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:12 am

If we define 'snow' then
Perhaps it is not such a good idea to define things then...
by A_Seagull
Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:20 pm
Forum: Articles in Philosophy Now
Topic: Doing Away With Scientism
Replies: 62
Views: 1640

Re: Doing Away With Scientism

Londoner wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:18 pm
"(DATA) In our extensive experience thus far, snow has always been cold.
But this is circular because if some snow we experienced had not been cold we would have said it was not snow.
The belief that snow exists at all is also based on induction.
by A_Seagull
Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:37 pm
Forum: Articles in Philosophy Now
Topic: Doing Away With Scientism
Replies: 62
Views: 1640

Re: Doing Away With Scientism

as mentioned above, science suffers from the fallacy of induction... -Imp There is no 'fallacy of induction' Neither is there any 'problem' of induction. David Hume would disagree -Imp I don't think Hume would disagree at all. Hume's 'problem of induction' was suggested as a possible problem for th...