From Schopenhauer's "Essay on Women."

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: From Schopenhauer's "Essay on Women."

Post by Walker »

popeye1945 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:05 pm Swearing is generally where one resorts to personal attack. When one does so early in the dialogue one must wonder just how insecure the party is in engaging in dialogue in the first place. Besides taking the low road as a matter of form it is disruptive of good intentions and intellectual honesty. Not to mention the utter lack of manners and degrading the forum as an intellectual medium.
Often when it’s done early in the dialogue, or even early in the presence, it is done as a commentary on the environment.

For instance, in an environment where a bunch of pussies try to talk tough, when someone who really talks tough comes along, the pussies show their true colors and fold like a cheap suitcase, as the saying goes.

In that case, the real tough talk is simply an expression of contempt for corruption of the intellectual environment, and the pussies have been lulled by their own habit.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

DUH!!
Walker

Post by Walker »

In that case, double-duh, with mirrored emphasis.

Soap bubbles!
seeds

Post by seeds »

popeye1945 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:05 pm Swearing is generally where one resorts to personal attack. When one does so early in the dialogue one must wonder just how insecure the party is in engaging in dialogue in the first place. Besides taking the low road as a matter of form it is disruptive of good intentions and intellectual honesty. Not to mention the utter lack of manners and degrading the forum as an intellectual medium.
Perhaps we should be discussing this in a new thread? Nevertheless, that was well said, popeye1945.

Not meaning to sound overly dramatic (or prudish) about it, but I personally see this unbridled use of vulgar language as one of the many symptoms of the decay of western society.

I was born in the late 1940s and I grew up at the time when television was first starting to make its appearance in homes across the U.S. It was a time when (for the sake of general civility) television (and radio) was not only heavily censored to prevent the displaying of sexually explicit situations and images, but also to prohibit the use of vulgar and offensive language.

My point is that I've now been around long enough to witness how, like the proverbial frog slowly boiling in the pot of water, we have become desensitized to words and images that were once considered highly inappropriate (especially for children).

Indeed (due to the Internet), we now have videos of young parents gleefully laughing because their children uttered the vilest of expletives. For example: https://youtu.be/K7zV20giLY0

And my ultimate point (or question) is, if it is obvious that our general level of civility (and morality) is slowly (but surely) devolving, then where is the endpoint?

In other words, if due to my upbringing it is offensive to me to see young parents thinking that it is hilariously cute to hear their toddlers using adult swear words, then what, pray tell, will be offensive to those toddlers when they grow older?

Again, what is the "endpoint" of this slow and steady devolution of our civil discourse and general level of morality?
_______
uwot

Post by uwot »

Walker wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:24 am
uwot wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:24 amSwearing is an interesting topic. Certain words cause offense for no other reason than that certain people are offended by them. There are no hard and fast rules, but you can learn a lot about people by their use of and response to swearing, so it can be a useful tool. It's also a bit of mischief, and I'm sorry that it upsets you, but I like a bit of mischief.
Expletives are often an example of either inarticulate diversion, or emphasis.
Well yes, they can be, and all the other things that you mention. With the possible exception of this:
Walker wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:24 amAs an offense against language, expletives are evidence of a limited vocabulary. This can be attributed to not knowing the language, or it can be attributed to sloth of thought...
Expletives are rarely used to express some abstruse concept and can in almost all circumstances be substituted with a perfectly apposite locution, familiar to any with even a rudimentary facility for a given language.
Walker wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:24 am...or it can be attributed to a limited capacity of intelligence.
I think tortured syntax is a surer sign of that.
Walker wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:24 amThis generous and magnanimous attribution of cause due to limited vocabulary, sloth, and limited intelligence are made in good faith, for they assume a good-intent on behalf of the expletive-expeller.
No doubt well intended expletive expellers will be stirred by your solicitude.
Walker wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:24 amHowever, there is another possibility. An expletive is also known as a curse. A curse is made from evil-intent.
Therefore, the other possibility is that the expletive-expeller is nothing more than an evil mother-fucking curser.
I take it then that you believe expletives are sometimes appropriate.
Walker wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:24 amTherefore, because yours truly is never out of ammo, knows the language, has evolved beyond both sloth and ambition, is quite intelligent, and has no evil intent … then when such walking-talking-writing Beings do judiciously use an expletive, the use is simply a well-timed emphasis, and the emphasis is caused not so much by the language used, but by the scarcity of the need for cheap tricks.
I think you have an exaggerated opinion of your command of English.
Walker wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:24 amBring it back, you wot, you. You’re invited to gimme something good, for a change. Perhaps, something valuable.
Tricky. Our values don't overlap much.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

seeds wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:00 pm
Perhaps we should be discussing this in a new thread? Nevertheless, that was well said, popeye1945.

Not meaning to sound overly dramatic (or prudish) about it, but I personally see this unbridled use of vulgar language as one of the many symptoms of the decay of western society.

I was born in the late 1940s and I grew up at the time when television was first starting to make its appearance in homes across the U.S. It was a time when (for the sake of general civility) television (and radio) was not only heavily censored to prevent the displaying of sexually explicit situations and images, but also to prohibit the use of vulgar and offensive language.

My point is that I've now been around long enough to witness how, like the proverbial frog slowly boiling in the pot of water, we have become desensitized to words and images that were once considered highly inappropriate (especially for children).

Indeed (due to the Internet), we now have videos of young parents gleefully laughing because their children uttered the vilest of expletives. For example: https://youtu.be/K7zV20giLY0

And my ultimate point (or question) is, if it is obvious that our general level of civility (and morality) is slowly (but surely) devolving, then where is the endpoint?

In other words, if due to my upbringing it is offensive to me to see young parents thinking that it is hilariously cute to hear their toddlers using adult swear words, then what, pray tell, will be offensive to those toddlers when they grow older?

Again, what is the "endpoint" of this slow and steady devolution of our civil discourse and general level of morality?
_______
Seeds,

It would seem all is in decline both the natural environment and the qualities that make for a civilized society. When a forum like this can be brought down to adolescent pissing contests it makes one wonder what's to come. If there is no price to pay for being rude and disruptive this site will go down in quality like many others. Must be Republicians!!!
Last edited by popeye1945 on Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Walker wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:31 pm In that case, double-duh, with mirrored emphasis.

Soap bubbles!
weaker,

Sticks and stones, your mother wares army boots----duh!! Pathetic!!
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

_______
You are too uptight and you are getting all offended by very basic things like a child saying "shit". If you grew up in the 50s I expect you will have used words like faggot and retad and that naughty N word too. Times changed, nobody is all that offended by minor references to bodily functions any more.

You are too nostalgic for the days when women got beaten in secret and the traditional thing to do if your son was demonstrating strange sexual tendencies was to persuade him to become a priest. If you think that just not saying seven bad words on TV made those days more civilised in any meaningful way, I think you are mistaken.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:36 am

_______
You are too uptight and you are getting all offended by very basic things like a child saying "shit". If you grew up in the 50s I expect you will have used words like faggot and retad and that naughty N word too. Times changed, nobody is all that offended by minor references to bodily functions any more.

You are too nostalgic for the days when women got beaten in secret and the traditional thing to do if your son was demonstrating strange sexual tendencies was to persuade him to become a priest. If you think that just not saying seven bad words on TV made those days more civilised in any meaningful way, I think you are mistaken.
Flashdangerpants,
Your not inventing anything new with vulgar vocabulary. It is when it is used as it often is on this site in the form of personal attacks. Why is it necessary to attack the integrity of fellow participants if you don't agree or you do not like someone else's understanding? It is immature, childish and just plain ignorant. Everyone has some emotional attachment to their views call it an emotional investment, but if you are anywhere near a decent fellow you control those emotions. Even those who are good at controlling their emotions in these dialogues lose it sometimes out of frustration in trying to make themselves understood. A number of people here don't even try, if you going to come in hostile take it to a bar somewhere, someone will put your lights out. This is not rocket science, if you don't understand what I mean, put your mother on.
Walker

Post by Walker »

popeye1945 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:28 am
Walker wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:31 pm In that case, double-duh, with mirrored emphasis.

Soap bubbles!
weaker,

Sticks and stones, your mother wares army boots----duh!! Pathetic!!
even moreso is ...

I know you are but what am I, naaa naaa.

Or how about, frikkin? That's what youngsters say when they want to curse in front of mamma, and they keep it up until pappa bear tells them to knock it off.
Walker

Post by Walker »

seeds wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:00 pm Perhaps we should be discussing this in a new thread?
But ... but ... that would abandon my valuable words of wisdom, leave them stranded here, and there's no guarantee other than faith that other words will follow, for who can say what the future will bring?
Walker

Post by Walker »

uwot wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:08 am...
Such a reactionary style indicates that without an original thought to call your own, there is no capacity, or an atrophied capacity, to process the gist, which fits with what has been demonstrated in the past.

Bank on it, bubba, and try not to break intellectual character, as you so often do when discussing religion. :wink:
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

popeye1945 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:44 am
FlashDangerpants wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:36 am

_______

Flashdangerpants,
Your not inventing anything new with vulgar vocabulary. It is when it is used as it often is on this site in the form of personal attacks. Why is it necessary to attack the integrity of fellow participants if you don't agree or you do not like someone else's understanding? It is immature, childish and just plain ignorant. Everyone has some emotional attachment to their views call it an emotional investment, but if you are anywhere near a decent fellow you control those emotions. Even those who are good at controlling their emotions in these dialogues lose it sometimes out of frustration in trying to make themselves understood. A number of people here don't even try, if you going to come in hostile take it to a bar somewhere, someone will put your lights out. This is not rocket science, if you don't understand what I mean, put your mother on.
How is that relating to what I wrote to Seeds not you?
Why are you adopting such a hostile tone with me? I don't remember swearing at you. I barely notice you.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Walker wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:56 amSuch a reactionary style indicates that without an original thought to call your own, there is no capacity, or an atrophied capacity, to process the gist, which fits with what has been demonstrated in the past.
This is an incoherent string of words, some of which you clearly don't understand. It is an example of the gibberish ejaculated by the sort of oaf who equates their intellect with their linguistic squeamishness.
Walker wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:56 amBank on it, bubba, and try not to break intellectual character, as you so often do when discussing religion. :wink:
Again, this is close to meaningless. I presume you wrote it with some intention, but you are either so timorous that not only do you shy from telling people what you think about them in language that intimidates you, you can't do it with a lesser vocabulary. Speaking of which, whatever you are trying to convey with that winking smilie, your use of it completely undermines you claim that:
Walker wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:24 am...yours truly is never out of ammo, knows the language, has evolved beyond both sloth...
and does nothing to support your contention that you are:
Walker wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:56 am...quite intelligent...
seeds

Post by seeds »

_______

_______