Hail!

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

lennartack

Hail!

Post by lennartack »

I am likely to spend my sleepless nights on this forum, looking for truth, whilst only becoming increasingly certain that there is none.

So what's the point? I don't know.
Resha Caner

Re: Hail!

Post by Resha Caner »

lennartack wrote:I am likely to spend my sleepless nights on this forum, looking for truth, whilst only becoming increasingly certain that there is none.
Hi.

So, why do you think there is no truth?
lennartack

Post by lennartack »

Resha Caner wrote:
lennartack wrote:I am likely to spend my sleepless nights on this forum, looking for truth, whilst only becoming increasingly certain that there is none.
Hi.

I look at truth in two different ways. First, the truth that has been invented by man and exists, but only inside our own minds. Each individual has his or her own truth. I think we can say this subjective truth exists, but it differs from the usual conception of truth; it can change over time and it does not extend outside our minds.

I am often interested in eternal truth. Since I have started studying mathematics I came to the conclusion that even in maths there are no things that are eternally true. There are only things that are true inside the system you created yourself. I sometimes say there is no truth because we cannot find it. I have to admit though that that is not a valid argument.
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

lennartack wrote:
Resha Caner wrote:
Hi.

I look at truth in two different ways. First, the truth that has been invented by man and exists, but only inside our own minds. Each individual has his or her own truth. I think we can say this subjective truth exists, but it differs from the usual conception of truth; it can change over time and it does not extend outside our minds.

I am often interested in eternal truth. Since I have started studying mathematics I came to the conclusion that even in maths there are no things that are eternally true. There are only things that are true inside the system you created yourself. I sometimes say there is no truth because we cannot find it. I have to admit though that that is not a valid argument.
Is it accurate to describe your philosophy as solipsism?

solipsism

Belief that only I myself and my own experiences are real, while anything else—a physical object or another person—is nothing more than an object of my consciousness. As a philosophical position, solipsism is usually the unintended consequence of an over-emphasis on the reliability of internal mental states, which provide no evidence for the existence of external referents.

Recommended Reading: Gilbert Ryle, The Concept of Mind (Chicago, 1984); P. F. Strawson, Individuals: an Essay in Descriptive Metaphysics (Routledge, 1979); and Albert A. Johnstone, Rationalized Epistemology: Taking Solipsism Seriously (SUNY, 1991).

Also see IEP, EB, and ISM.
http://www.iep.utm.edu/solipsis/
lennartack

Post by lennartack »

tbieter wrote: Is it accurate to describe your philosophy as solipsism?

solipsism

Belief that only I myself and my own experiences are real, while anything else—a physical object or another person—is nothing more than an object of my consciousness. As a philosophical position, solipsism is usually the unintended consequence of an over-emphasis on the reliability of internal mental states, which provide no evidence for the existence of external referents.

Recommended Reading: Gilbert Ryle, The Concept of Mind (Chicago, 1984); P. F. Strawson, Individuals: an Essay in Descriptive Metaphysics (Routledge, 1979); and Albert A. Johnstone, Rationalized Epistemology: Taking Solipsism Seriously (SUNY, 1991).

Also see IEP, EB, and ISM.
http://www.iep.utm.edu/solipsis/
I think it is. Thanks a lot for the reading recommendations!

However, I do not deny (nor acknowledge) the existence of other minds and truths outside one's mind. I just think we cannot be certain of them.
Resha Caner

Post by Resha Caner »

lennartack wrote:I sometimes say there is no truth because we cannot find it. I have to admit though that that is not a valid argument.
I would agree that a finite being cannot find an eternal truth. It's why I'm not sympathetic to "follow your heart" ideas.