Rush Limbaugh"s "apology"

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

tbieter

Rush Limbaugh"s "apology"

Post by tbieter »

It seems to me that rather than a true apology (e.g. "I'm sorry that I insulted and harmed you by calling you a slut"), Limbaugh merely expresses regret regarding his act of choosing words. He denies making a personal attack; he admits to making only "insulting word choices".
Under Minnesota defamation law, Limbaugh's statement (A statement attributing unchastity to a woman) is defamatory per se. As to how serious it is to attribute unchastity to a woman, note the last sentence of this Minnesota law. https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id ... retraction
I heard Limbaugh speak over two or three days. He is a despicable blackguard for making the statements and for his insincere apology. I think I'll now boycott him and listen to Minnesota classical public radio as I walk in the morning.

a·pol·o·gy
[uh-pol-uh-jee] Show IPA
noun, plural -gies.
a written or spoken expression of one's regret, remorse, or sorrow for having insulted, failed, injured, or wronged another: He demanded an apology from me for calling him a crook.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/apology

Limbaugh's on air statement: ““What does it say about the college co-ed Susan (sic) Fluke who goes before a Congressional committee and says she must be paid to have sex?” Limbaugh said Wednesday. “What does that make her? It makes her a slut, right? It makes her a prostitute. She wants to be paid to have sex. She’s having so much sex, she can’t afford the contraception. She wants you and me and the taxpayers to pay her to have sex. What does that make us? We’re the pimps.”

Limbaugh’s “apology”: “For over 20 years, I have illustrated the absurd with absurdity, three hours a day, five days a week. In this instance, I chose the wrong words in my analogy of the situation. I did not mean a personal attack on Ms. Fluke.
I think it is absolutely absurd that during these very serious political times, we are discussing personal sexual recreational activities before members of Congress. I personally do not agree that American citizens should pay for these social activities. What happened to personal responsibility and accountability? Where do we draw the line? If this is accepted as the norm, what will follow? Will we be debating if taxpayers should pay for new sneakers for all students that are interested in running to keep fit?In my monologue, I posited that it is not our business whatsoever to know what is going on in anyone’s bedroom nor do I think it is a topic that should reach a Presidential level.
My choice of words was not the best, and in the attempt to be humorous, I created a national stir. I sincerely apologize to Ms. Fluke for the insulting word choices.”
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/rush-re ... dra-fluke/
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2012/ ... _from_rush
Kayla

Re: Rush Limbaugh"s "apology"

Post by Kayla »

artisticsolution

Re: Rush Limbaugh"s "apology"

Post by artisticsolution »

"I Don't Even Want To Be Alive Anymore."
Rush Limbaugh

The headline to the article reminded me of the time my husband took me to a local comedy club. Patton Oswalt (spence on the king of queens) was doing a routine (this was prior to him becoming well known). He was going on and on about the various ways he would commit suicide. The room was completely silent. I was so bored out of my mind I couldn't take it. I guess my husband was feeling the same way cause he leaned over to me and unexpectantly whispered, "Don't tell us, show us." LOL It struck me as funny and I burst out laughing. I am sure ol' spence was grateful that someone was laughing. I was a little embarrassed as all eyes were on me but it quickly faded into the thought, how lucky I was to be the only one to hear and connect with another person's humor and luckier yet to be married to that person.

Anyway, I have never been a fan of ol' Rush....the first thing I thought when I read, "I don't even want to be alive anymore" was, "Show us, don't tell us!" LOL

Do you think I owe Rush an apology for the insulting words...or do you think he would understand? :wink: