Planet of the Apes

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Arising_uk

Planet of the Apes

Post by Arising_uk »

chaz wyman wrote:... It is interesting, that this very morning I turned the last page of the original "Planet of the Apes". ...
Wow! A 'famous' sci-fi book I've missed. I thought it just a film. Any good chaz?
chaz wyman

Re: Planet of the Apes

Post by chaz wyman »

Arising_uk wrote:
chaz wyman wrote:... It is interesting, that this very morning I turned the last page of the original "Planet of the Apes". ...
Wow! A 'famous' sci-fi book I've missed. I thought it just a film. Any good chaz?

There were elements of scientific naivete, but good for its time. It had a great pace and it is clear why it was chosen for a film.
The main points are the same, though with some significant differences which I won't go into as it would spoil the read.
It made its analogical points rather obviously but was open enough not to be too preachy.
The films have retained the relationship with Zira the female chimp and the main human Ullyse - were a couple of too obvious references to Classics, the other was a thinker called Haristo whose thinking had a strangle hold on the progress of thought (I wonder who the model for him was?).

I read it over 3 bedtimes. A very smooth and clear read. It made a change from philosophy.

A nice double twist at the end.