Hi finkers

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

Hi finkers

Post by attofishpi »

Hi all..

I have no background in philosophy, have never studied it. I am interested in it however as i day dream a lot...perhaps then, i am a philosopher or does it matter what i day-dream about?

Im interested in peoples perceptions of reality in light (no pun intended) of theories such as the multiverse.

This forum looks like a good place to hang out.
Kayla

Re: Hi finkers

Post by Kayla »

A Very Short Introduction To Philosophy - may be a good place to start just so that you have a better understanding of what people are talking about here

I started with plato's republic we were staying at a rented cottage and the only two books it had was the Bible and Republic
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Hey thanks Kayla - i didnt realise anyone had replied in this thread..

Will definitly have a look at that introduction book, very good idea.
duszek

Post by duszek »

Does the day-dreaming lead to any interesting insights ? Or is it for relaxing only ?

Multiverse sounds like an opposite to universe.
Do you feel to live in a parallel world of some kind ?
Please share with the class.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

duszek wrote:Does the day-dreaming lead to any interesting insights ? Or is it for relaxing only ?

Day dreaming is FOR interesting insights. Hence in_sights...that little third-eye of ours.

Its like this. I used to daydream a lot through primary school, and used to get in a lot of trouble over it. I used to think about the future, i love(d) the seemingly limitless horizon that technology can provide.

Then in 1997 i met God.

Multiverse: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiverse
I have been subject to a parallel universe ever since. I have tested and been tested.

I wrote a cyberpunk novel over the past few years and its available online as an e-book but am not going to divulge its details on this forum. Not for now anyway.

Please dont ask me to explain in relation to God and testing etc...as i shant.
lancek4

Post by lancek4 »

Hi atto, yes this forum entertains all sorts of ideas.

My advice to you would go like this:

Philosophy is about taking a position, propose something, a statement, about something, and then entertaining and considering what others say. And arguing about it discussing it. This is how we learn about philosophy. What I found in doing this from a relative early age is that I found my way into the books, into the philophers,and discovered what they were saying and what and why things made sense and other did/do not

If you are interested in mutliuniverses, I'm sure you have some thoughts about it. Tell us your ideas, what you think.
And you might find people will diect you to books that have to do with what you are talking about

But BEWARE: input on your ideas from this forum, and those who may or may not identify them$elves as philopher, can sometimes be a bit strong, sometimes scathing. But just take it in stride.
Last edited by lancek4 on Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

lancek4 wrote:Hi atto, yes this forum entertains all sorts of ideas.

Philosophy is abou taking a position, making a proposition, a statement, about something, and the entertaining what others say. And arguing about it discussing it.

If you are interested in mutliuniverses, I'm sure you have some thoughts about it. Tell us your ideas, what you think.
And you might find people will diect you to books that have to do with what you are talking about

But BEWARE: input on your ideas from this forum can sometimes be a bit strong, sometimes scathing. But just take it in stride.
Lance...I dont consider myself a newbie anymore on this forum. I have been actively stating my case in several threads as i know you are aware.

I will choose when and where i debate my position. The when being the key word here.
lancek4

Post by lancek4 »

attofishpi wrote:
lancek4 wrote:Hi atto, yes this forum entertains all sorts of ideas.

Philosophy is abou taking a position, making a proposition, a statement, about something, and the entertaining what others say. And arguing about it discussing it.

But BEWARE: input on your ideas from this forum can sometimes be a bit strong, sometimes scathing. But just take it in stride.
Lance...I dont consider myself a newbie anymore on this forum. I have been actively stating my case in several threads as i know you are aware.

I will choose when and where i debate my position. The when being the key word here.
Good. The poker game can be illuminating.

I thought I recognized yer log name.
lancek4

Post by lancek4 »

...That established:

I propose that mutliverses do not exist. Multiverses, in this way, are pure metaphysical speculation.
Last edited by lancek4 on Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lancek4

Post by lancek4 »

attofishpi wrote:
duszek wrote:Does the day-dreaming lead to any interesting insights ? Or is it for relaxing only ?

Day dreaming is FOR interesting insights. Hence in_sights...that little third-eye of ours.

Its like this. I used to daydream a lot through primary school, and used to get in a lot of trouble over it. I used to think about the future, i love(d) the seemingly limitless horizon that technology can provide.

Then in 1997 i met God.

Multiverse: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiverse
I have been subject to a parallel universe ever since. I have tested and been tested.

I wrote a cyberpunk novel over the past few years and its available online as an e-book but am not going to divulge its details on this forum. Not for now anyway.

Please dont ask me to explain in relation to God and testing etc...as i shant.
The Philosopher's Prayer:
Oh God; please grant me the platitudenous patience that I might play this game of 'hold em'. Please allow me insight into the limitations of others' peace that I might understand their shortcommings and have tolerance for their imeptitude. Please grant me eternal separation from your essence that I might forever worship you from my place of incompletion.
In the name of career sportsmanship; Amen.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

If you are going to use big words please have the intelligence to spell them correctly
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

well one time i was in math class and it was boring and i was daydreaming imagining myself as a space marine from Warhammer 40000 universe yeah i know its a weird daydream for a girl

then i found myself imagining that i was a space marine doing math problems

they were the same problems the teacher was going on about

helped me get through the class without sticking pencils into my eyeballs from sheer boredom and i stilled learned the lesson
lancek4

Post by lancek4 »

attofishpi wrote:If you are going to use big words please have the intelligence to spell them correctly
Twat twas tghatat ?
lancek4

Post by lancek4 »

Kayla wrote:
well one time i was in math class and it was boring and i was daydreaming imagining myself as a space marine from Warhammer 40000 universe yeah i know its a weird daydream for a girl

then i found myself imagining that i was a space marine doing math problems

they were the same problems the teacher was going on about

helped me get through the class without sticking pencils into my eyeballs from sheer boredom and i stilled learned the lesson
Whatever works. My wife mostly screwed around in college. But she now she is top of her field. Do what comes natural usually pays off in that 'daydreaming' sort of way. I love school but did very well in my interests. And I am over qualified at my job.
Who knows?
But we are both exceedingly happy in life.