Philosophy of Mind

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

popeye1945

Re: Philosophy of Mind

Post by popeye1945 »

Darkneos wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:16 am
socrat44 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:34 pm
RickLewis wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:12 pm This section of the forum is for the discussion of anything to do with philosophy of mind.
Did you have consciousness before you were born?
Too bad he was wrong; consciousness is a function of the brain. Though that tends to upset folks because humans want magic in their lives.
It was the conscious body that created the brain/mind/conscious to serve its needs, the mind/brain/ did not create the body, plus the body is your interface with reality, through its senses it informs the subjective consciousness of biological creatures, for biology is the measure and the meaning of all things.
Darkneos

Post by Darkneos »

popeye1945 wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:38 am
socrat44 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:34 pm

Did you have consciousness before you were born?
Too bad he was wrong; consciousness is a function of the brain. Though that tends to upset folks because humans want magic in their lives.
It was the conscious body that created the brain/mind/conscious to serve its needs, the mind/brain/ did not create the body, plus the body is your interface with reality, through its senses it informs the subjective consciousness of biological creatures, for biology is the measure and the meaning of all things.
No. Consciousness is a function of the brain, without it you wouldn’t really be able to live, or rather do anything.

The body didn’t create the brain, it’s all part of the same package. It’s also just the body not “conscious body”. Without a brain you can’t really function at all since it regulates processes and is what makes you conscious.
socrat44

Post by socrat44 »

Darkneos wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:06 pm

No. Consciousness is a function of the brain, without it you wouldn’t really be able to live, or rather do anything.

The body didn’t create the brain, it’s all part of the same package. It’s also just the body not “conscious body”. Without a brain you can’t really function at all since it regulates processes and is what makes you conscious.
"All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force which brings the particle of an atom
to vibration and holds this most minute solar system of the atom together. We must assume
behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent mind.
This mind is the matrix of all matter." ~ Max Planck.
Attachments
consciousness--max-planck.jpg
consciousness--max-planck.jpg (25.88 KiB) Viewed 2344 times
Darkneos

Post by Darkneos »

socrat44 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:29 am

"All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force which brings the particle of an atom
to vibration and holds this most minute solar system of the atom together. We must assume
Heard that quote before and it’s still wrong the second time. Mind isn’t the matrix of matter it’s the other way around.

Good scientist, terrible philosopher.

Not to mention QM has advanced leaps since Plank. We pretty much showed consciousness doesn’t play any special role in it and matter exists even if you’re not looking at it.

Never mind neuroscience pretty much suggesting the brain creates consciousness.

You can’t quote old scientists like their words mean a damn. Science advances too fast for that to be true. Maybe if it was philosophy sure or something in ethics or the like.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Darkneos wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:47 am

Heard that quote before and it’s still wrong the second time. Mind isn’t the matrix of matter it’s the other way around.

Not to mention QM has advanced leaps since Plank. We pretty much showed consciousness doesn’t play any special role in it and matter exists even if you’re not looking at it.

You can’t quote old scientists like their words mean a damn. Science advances too fast for that to be true. Maybe if it was philosophy sure or something in ethics or the like.
Instead of making these proclamations outline the reality of which you speak, or shut the fuck up.
Darkneos

Post by Darkneos »

popeye1945 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:12 pm

Instead of making these proclamations outline the reality of which you speak, or shut the fuck up.
Dude you’re obvious too stupid to understand QM if all you have are quotes from old physicists which mean nothing. Talk to actual QM, none of them say mind is the matrix of matter.

Honestly, QM already has it hard enough requiring an advanced degree to understand without idiots butchering it.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Darkneos wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:15 pm

Dude you’re obvious too stupid to understand QM if all you have are quotes from old physicists which mean nothing. Talk to actual QM, none of them say mind is the matrix of matter.

Honestly, QM already has it hard enough requiring an advanced degree to understand without idiots butchering it.

BACK IT UP!, OR REMAIN WITHIN THE DUH FACTOR!
Darkneos

Post by Darkneos »

popeye1945 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:27 pm

Considering all you have is quoting a physicist I don’t have to back anything up since you didn’t. Quotes aren’t science.

Though this is typical of those who don’t understand, quoting those from a less advanced age of QM. It has advanced leaps since plank.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Darkneos wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:53 pm

Considering all you have is quoting a physicist I don’t have to back anything up since you didn’t. Quotes aren’t science.

Though this is typical of those who don’t understand, quoting those from a less advanced age of QM. It has advanced leaps since plank.
Some details and some indication you yourself understand squat. Anyone can be negative and rude, let's hear some content.
Darkneos

Post by Darkneos »

popeye1945 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:24 pm

Some details and some indication you yourself understand squat. Anyone can be negative and rude, let's hear some content.
You have no content so I don’t need any. A quote from an old physicist isn’t content.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Darkneos wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:42 pm

You have no content so I don’t need any. A quote from an old physicist isn’t content.
You might try to develop so class, negative and rude doesn't cut it. Do you think your impressing people? Do you have any thoughts yourself on the nature of reality? If so, let's hear them.
Darkneos

Post by Darkneos »

popeye1945 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:44 pm

You might try to develop so class, negative and rude doesn't cut it. Do you think your impressing people? Do you have any thoughts yourself on the nature of reality? If so, let's hear them.
I don’t have to develop shit when all someone has for QM is a quote by what one physicist thought it meant instead of a study or a mathematical equation.

The field already suffers from people running off with interpretations as though they’re facts when they’re just attempts to understand the math. Never mind that it also takes an advanced degree to understand this stuff and trying to break it down to public level is har because most don’t have the background to get it. I’ve talked with physicists and even they say they’d have to teach me the material to explain what this means. The short answer they gave me though is no, mind is not the matrix of matter, that’s a butchering of QM.

So I highly doubt some dumbass with nothing but a quote understands it. You’re no different from anyone else who thinks QM supports their pet idea.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Darkneos wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:10 pm

I don’t have to develop shit when all someone has for QM is a quote by what one physicist thought it meant instead of a study or a mathematical equation.

The field already suffers from people running off with interpretations as though they’re facts when they’re just attempts to understand the math. Never mind that it also takes an advanced degree to understand this stuff and trying to break it down to public level is har because most don’t have the background to get it. I’ve talked with physicists and even they say they’d have to teach me the material to explain what this means. The short answer they gave me though is no, mind is not the matrix of matter, that’s a butchering of QM.

So I highly doubt some dumbass with nothing but a quote understands it. You’re no different from anyone else who thinks QM supports their pet idea.
Do you have anything to contribute yourself, accept appealing to authority and being negative and rude in the process?
Darkneos

Post by Darkneos »

popeye1945 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:15 pm

Do you have anything to contribute yourself, accept appealing to authority and being negative and rude in the process?
Appeal to authority isn’t a fallacy when science is involved.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Darkneos wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:11 pm
popeye1945 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:15 pm

Appeal to authority isn’t a fallacy when science is involved.
Do you have anything to add other than some links.