Me, Paranoid? Who told you?

Latest news of Philosophy Now

Moderators: AMod, iMod

philofra

Me, Paranoid? Who told you?

Post by philofra »

As I was reading Rick Lewis' introduction to the last issue of PN about paranoia I was thinking that as people have more choices and more freedoms, and have more venues to express themselves and communicate ideas, the state is increasing its surveillance of us. It's as though each party is scrambling to keep up with the other. My feeling is that in the end each side is balancing out or neutralizing the gains of the other. Ultimately, I see it as a zero sum game in which both sides win.
amateurphilosophynerd

unfortunately rights have been trimmed down to minimum

Post by amateurphilosophynerd »

by Blair and marketisations and ''cazaulisation'' of labour (BF Fuller quote British Journal of Sociology at Campus library which I visit as an alumane)means rights are very low and small with Governments behaving less and less democractically by bypassing democratic means ie the LORDS and Parliament. Internet is bound to affect democracy forthe better??
but there does not seem to be a trade off.
SURVEILLANCE IS RIFE from CCTV to Google Surveilance and Loyalty Card data. the might is in big business and small rights because of progressive corporatism. Utility ie online and benefits are traded off negatively and at cost -secret- over balanced to Government and Big Business. it sounds a bit Leviathan to me, The governents use of utilitarian philosophy also undercuts rights as everything has to serve a function. we are as far away from liberal eqaulity as we can go and we need to recover our democracy and rights in an increasingly technologically driven surveillance age.
ua pertinent issue to be raised by PN.
The relationships are highly asymetrical making restoration of democracy rights and skewing to voter punter direction very difficult indeed.
amateurphilosophynerd

Post by amateurphilosophynerd »

this feels like HOT CURRENT ISSUES a wise strategy by rick lewis