Technology and Human Flourishing

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Steve Matthew

Technology and Human Flourishing

Post by Steve Matthew »

How has technology positively or negatively impacted your daily life? share a specific experience where technology either enhanced or hindered your well being and happiness. Let's discuss how we can harness technology to promote human flourishing in today's digital age.

What do you guys think about smartphones? and all the technology surrounded by us
Impenitent

Re: Technology and Human Flourishing

Post by Impenitent »

card catalogs in libraries (libraries themselves)

believe what google tells you

-Imp
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

You can get a lot of information quickly now. It used to be much more limited and time consuming.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

One of the best and worst things of capitalism in the digital media age is that through its practice it prevents the centralization of a single manipulator and exploiter but generates an economy that thrives on manipulation and exploitation.

Your homeboy mussolini once said sumthin like in facism there is only one tyrant with absolute power. In democracy there are many tyrants with relative power. Shirley he's referring to a noncorporatism style free market of industry tycoons who influence politicians and policy making.

Anyway the good news is that becuz the power centers are broken up, there can never be a single grand information conspiracy holding a monopoly over ideology. In a way it's good that liberal capitalism makes people enemies through class division/warfare and the economic competition the free market creates.

That's called the Vonhamsonshmidt paradox. The everyday conflict that capitalism creates prevents any real conflicts from ever happening. That's what he meant when he said that I think. The impossibility of the real centralization of power.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Steve Matthew wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:07 pm How has technology positively or negatively impacted your daily life? share a specific experience where technology either enhanced or hindered your well being and happiness. Let's discuss how we can harness technology to promote human flourishing in today's digital age.

What do you guys think about smartphones? and all the technology surrounded by us
From about 1995 to 2000 I worked for Australia Post IT Services - i'd spend part of my day transferring data to various biz entities regarding bills paid through Oz post outlets. I automated a large part of it for council payments via dial in modem transfers but most to other biz was ol' fashioned tape via manual delivery!

So in 1999 I was made redundant because everything became automated via IP to these biz entities. I went travelling on my payout and then ended up with a job supporting IP. Thus transition of tech always seems to require a human, ergo fuck the luddites..
rambo67

Post by rambo67 »

Steve Matthew wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:07 pm How has technology positively or negatively impacted your daily life? share a specific experience where technology either enhanced or hindered your well being and happiness. Let's discuss how we can harness technology to promote human flourishing in today's digital age.

all the technology and smartphone is good but excessve screentime really leads to distractions and fatigue sometimes.