Christian Civilization -- The Central Issue

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Alexis Jacobi

Re: Christian Civilization -- The Central Issue

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Harbal wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:31 pm
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:11 pm One could say, of you, that you’ve dug your hole and, if it were like a bed, lie in it.
You don't see many bed shaped holes; I don't suppose there's much demand for them. 🤔
Chalk it up to an (intended) infelicitous mixing of metaphors ….
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

phyllo

Post by phyllo »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:28 pm AJ and his sympathies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwtyn-L-2gQ
That's a great song.

But I wouldn't demonize AJ.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

phyllo wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:30 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:28 pm AJ and his sympathies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwtyn-L-2gQ
That's a great song.

But I wouldn't demonize AJ.
I suppose not. AJ isn't so bad.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

"but you’re a grumpy embittered nihilist who seeks to impose a pretty dreary perspective"

Harbal may be a nihilist and a grumpy old cynic, but his cynicism is not the expression of nihilistic complaining, or caused by his nihilism. In fact he's a rather well mannered nihilist if a nihilist at all.

You're describing the iambiguous style of nihilist. The cynical existential ironist and resident contrarian who's always pointing out how u could be wrong. Harbal doesn't fit that category of nihilist.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Dubious wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:33 pmThe world at large cares not in the least. No one knows how any revaluation in progress will manifest itself and all the influences which will determine it. Our collective writings and opinions here have zero effect on any of it.
It means less than zilch, mine, yours and everyone else. Debate, with corresponding insults, is the name of the game and nothing more.
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:11 pmOne could say, of you, that you’ve dug your hole and, if it were like a bed, lie in it. Your •pronouncements• have the patina of real certainty and you definitely believe you are a carrier of truth.
You really should learn how to read, an art you obviously haven't mastered yet. It certainly shows. How, pray, would I believe myself to be a carrier of truth when I specifically referred to our collective OPINIONS as having little effect. Since when do opinions qualify as truth? Being the clandestine theist you are, like IC and most of your writings, you're the one who professes some intrinsic, transcendental collusion with it, acting as some kind of amanuensis seeking to enlighten us poor benighted slobs.
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:11 pmSure, this forum is irrelevant to *the world* but that assertion doesn’t mean that the ideas talked through are irrelevant to that world.
Irrelevant in the sense of not being noticed and therefore not having any effect, consisting purely of debate within a specific group.
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:11 pmYou embody something very akin to nihilism. One could say you are infected by it. It would be one thing perhaps if, like a happy drunk you are a happy nihilist, but you’re a grumpy embittered nihilist who seeks to impose a pretty dreary perspective
I have no perspective other than what science and nature imply. You're almost laughable in your desperate attempt to become personal and denigrate whatever I say.

Is this the measure of your insight and wisdom, oh wise one?
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:11 pmAnd yes it is true that no one knows what the future of Europe and it’s civilization is (my general concern is there obviously) but to say that is meaningless from your mouth. You are meaningless!
Point out or prove yourself to be the loathsome liar you are where I've asserted that the future of Europe and it's civilization is meaningless!

What I question is the meaning you would give it and so adamantly insist on like some dyed-in-the-wool theist...as if no other were possible.

Europe will decide what furrows its civilization will commit to. Whether partly Christianized or dechristianized, I would give the former more credence. But who knows all the influences which will determine it.

Any idea to whom the question of Europe is meaningless? it's your agent of chaos, the one you would vote for, inviting Putin to invade it.

What a dumbfuck you are!
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

promethean75 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:33 pm "but you’re a grumpy embittered nihilist who seeks to impose a pretty dreary perspective"

Harbal may be a nihilist and a grumpy old cynic, but his cynicism is not the expression of nihilistic complaining, or caused by his nihilism. In fact he's a rather well mannered nihilist if a nihilist at all.

You're describing the iambiguous style of nihilist. The cynical existential ironist and resident contrarian who's always pointing out how u could be wrong. Harbal doesn't fit that category of nihilist.
You're right, Harbal doesn't fit what is normally defined as nihilist.

AJ was referring to me!
seeds

Post by seeds »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:55 am
seeds wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:38 am If that's so, then it appears as if somebody is hacking into your account and posting stuff like this...
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:37 pm Seeds … better than TeeVee, better than YooToob. A multimedia spectacle of TDS.
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:56 am An accusation is very different from observation.

I don’t accuse you because you have the ideas and views you do.
Come on now, AJ, stop playing games with semantics.

I mean, you can "observe" all you want, but once you put it into writing on a public forum that so-and-so (me) is "...a multimedia spectacle of TDS...," it is an accusation in which the accuser (you) attempts to characterize the accuzee (me) of being "deranged"...

(as in insane, mad, disturbed, unbalanced, unhinged, unstable, crazed, demented, etc., etc.)

...in some way, simply because, God forbid, I have a problem with pathological liars like Donald J. Trump having access to nuclear launch codes.
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:37 pm I too have been exposed to and have been forced to ponder and try to understand *what is going on* when we examine a photo like the one I submit here. (It is a photo I grabbed somewhere and then modified in LightRoom). What is going on here? How you answer that question will determine *your own lens of view*. Perhaps that lens will actually keep you from seeing something *real*. What you will see, then, is something like *hysterical enactment* by lunatic Christians.

Whose seeing brings the better clarification?

Dubious wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:06 pm With all the sanctimonius bullshit here rendered by Herr Elder the master proselytizer on the site, I imagine it should be you who's centered in the picture.
Well, my Trump Derangement Syndrome causes me to imagine that the central character in AJ's picture,...

(the locus of focus; the veritable Antichrist in the flesh)

...at the very moment that picture was taken, was thinking to himself how much he would love to reach down and grab the blond chick by the "you know what."

But it's all good, right?

Because according to AJ, I'm simply making an "observation"...

AJ: "I observe you as being afflicted with a severe case of TDS."

Me: "No, I observe you as being afflicted with a severe case of TDS in reverse."
AJ: "No, you're the observer."
Me: "No, you're the observer, and your mother wears army boots."
AJ: "Yo mama's so lazy, she has a stay-at-home job and still is late to work."
Me: "Yo mama's house is so dirty, she has to wipe her feet before she goes outside."
AJ: "Yo mama's cooking is so nasty, the house flies got together to fix the hole in the window screen."
(We'll be here all week folks. Be sure to try the veal, and don't forget to tip the waitresses. :D )
_______
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

OMG! Humor is priceless!
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

seeds wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:33 pm
Well, my Trump Derangement Syndrome causes me to imagine that the central character in AJ's picture,...

(the locus of focus; the veritable Antichrist in the flesh)

...at the very moment that picture was taken, was thinking to himself how much he would love to reach down and grab the blond chick by the "you know what."

______
...that's why he had to keep his eyes closed to temporarily remove the temptation.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Dubious wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:49 pmI have no perspective other than what science and nature imply. You're almost laughable in your desperate attempt to become personal and denigrate whatever I say.
And I will point out that right there is your problem with understanding revelation. You seem to me to be one so committed to a set of perceptual limitations that what is outside of those, may well be (and often seems to be) beyond your comprehension.

But the •tell• in your case is the extreme anger that you arouse in yourself.

Despite any appearance to the contrary I relate to you less personally and more as a type.

And it is not denigration that I am after but rather understanding of the strong psychological turbulence that comes through nearly every post of yours.

“Go away! Aaaaarrrgggh! Do not ever respond to anything I write ever again!!!”

…. yet circle around you do time and time again.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

seeds wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:33 pm ...at the very moment that picture was taken, was thinking to himself how much he would love to reach down and grab the blond chick by the "you know what."
Which (in different terms of course) are thoughts that run through my mind every day when I am out and about. Living next to a university places multitudes of very nice looking Latinas in one’s daily gaze.

Basically I think you fail to see Trump’s function in our present as an unwholesome man, quintessentially American, forced into a complex historico-cultural rehearsal.

I don’t have the energy to counter or combat your hardened perspective. But I do suggest alternatives to it.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

seeds wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:33 pm Come on now, AJ, stop playing games with semantics.
If you do think I am here to accuse you, you have made a mistake. Put that idea aside.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Candace Owens has become a Catholic.

I mean … it is somewhat topical.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:13 pm
Dubious wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:49 pmI have no perspective other than what science and nature imply. You're almost laughable in your desperate attempt to become personal and denigrate whatever I say.
And I will point out that right there is your problem with understanding revelation. You seem to me to be one so committed to a set of perceptual limitations that what is outside of those, may well be (and often seems to be) beyond your comprehension.

But the •tell• in your case is the extreme anger that you arouse in yourself.

Despite any appearance to the contrary I relate to you less personally and more as a type.

And it is not denigration that I am after but rather understanding of the strong psychological turbulence that comes through nearly every post of yours.

“Go away! Aaaaarrrgggh! Do not ever respond to anything I write ever again!!!”

…. yet circle around you do time and time again.
As the superior being you project yourself to be as a self-endorsed pedagogue of enlightenment so adept in the understanding of its myriad mysteries and all the nuanced details of what in your view constitutes a revelation...having read so much of it in other books, I may or may not acquiesce to your demand.

But hey! You can always put me on ignore and shield yourself from my hideous lack of insight! :lol: :mrgreen: