"Uprooted"

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

"Uprooted"

Post by Gary Childress »

The term "uprooted" is a term that Heidegger sometimes used to describe the status of people living in "modernity" or contemporary culture. I suppose the idea is that one is without firm ground under one's feet and that is, overall, something seemingly unsustainable or undesirable. But, in keeping with the metaphorical aspects of the term, is there firm ground in life? If, so, then what or where is it? If not, is it better to live under a false belief that there is than to be aware of the fragile or otherwise shifting ground one is standing on?
promethean75

Re: "Uprooted"

Post by promethean75 »

Some existentialists like to attribute anxiety and social anomie to modernism and claim that our nihilism is a product of deculturalization rather than being some essential feature of human life, which i believe. Heidegger was one of em. He'd picked up on the gratuitous pointlessness of life but then tried to blame that on modern institutions and stuff. He wanted to re-ground dasein in the authentic german cottages in the black forest to re-read aristotle.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

promethean75 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:24 am Some existentialists like to attribute anxiety and social anomie to modernism and claim that our nihilism is a product of deculturalization rather than being some essential feature of human life, which i believe. Heidegger was one of em. He'd picked up on the gratuitous pointlessness of life but then tried to blame that on modern institutions and stuff. He wanted to re-ground dasein in the authentic german cottages in the black forest to re-read aristotle.
I once saw a quote from someone who described Heidegger as a German "redneck". An ad hominem but in some sense that statement does sort of resonate with me a bit in various ways. I suppose I'm a son-of-two-hicks myself, when it comes down to it. So I can empathize with him a little, but not completely.

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:08 am The term "uprooted" is a term that Heidegger sometimes used to describe the status of people living in "modernity" or contemporary culture. I suppose the idea is that one is without firm ground under one's feet and that is, overall, something seemingly unsustainable or undesirable. But, in keeping with the metaphorical aspects of the term, is there firm ground in life?
Yes.
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:08 am If, so, then what or where is it?
From what the 'thing' is, itself, and from where the 'thing', itself, is, exactly, which come via or through either or all of the five senses of the human body.
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:08 am If not, is it better to live under a false belief that there is than to be aware of the fragile or otherwise shifting ground one is standing on?
This is moot.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Age wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:32 am
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:08 am The term "uprooted" is a term that Heidegger sometimes used to describe the status of people living in "modernity" or contemporary culture. I suppose the idea is that one is without firm ground under one's feet and that is, overall, something seemingly unsustainable or undesirable. But, in keeping with the metaphorical aspects of the term, is there firm ground in life?
Yes.
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:08 am If, so, then what or where is it?
From what the 'thing' is, itself, and from where the 'thing', itself, is, exactly, which come via or through either or all of the five senses of the human body.
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:08 am If not, is it better to live under a false belief that there is than to be aware of the fragile or otherwise shifting ground one is standing on?
This is moot.
OK.

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:33 am
Yes.
This is moot.
OK.
So, instead of one trying to say or claim some 'thing' is 'this way' or 'that way', or is 'this' or 'that', just 'look from' other's perspectives and find out and 'see' what every one else can agree with and accept, and then 'you' will be on 'absolutely solid and firm ground', as some might say.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Age wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:37 am

Yes.

This is moot.
OK.
So, instead of one trying to say or claim some 'thing' is 'this way' or 'that way', or is 'this' or 'that', just 'look from' other's perspectives and find out and 'see' what every one else can agree with and accept, and then 'you' will be on 'absolutely solid and firm ground', as some might say.
What are some things everyone else can agree with and accept?

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:39 am

OK.
That human beings need clean enough air and water to live, along with needing some nutrients, as well as needing 'attention', itself.

Among other things like, 'I exist', and those other things that all have experienced through the five senses of the human body.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Age wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:36 am

That human beings need clean enough air and water to live, along with needing some nutrients, as well as needing 'attention', itself.

Among other things like, 'I exist', and those other things that all have experienced through the five senses of the human body.
I suppose we can all agree to those things. Is there anyone here who disagrees with the statements above?
Peter Kropotkin

Post by Peter Kropotkin »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:42 am

I suppose we can all agree to those things. Is there anyone here who disagrees with the statements above?
K; the problem with these things that ''everyone'' can agree to, is that they say
nothing... ok, we all need the necessities... AND.... there is nothing beyond
this... it leads us nowhere... what can we all agree to that actually means
something... something actually worth living for, or even dying for?
how do we build upon this to actually be worth the energy of thinking about
them?

Kropotkin
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Peter Kropotkin wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:06 am

K; the problem with these things that ''everyone'' can agree to, is that they say
nothing... ok, we all need the necessities... AND.... there is nothing beyond
this... it leads us nowhere... what can we all agree to that actually means
how do we build upon this to actually be worth the energy of thinking about
them?

Kropotkin
They say nothing controversial. There are things that are controversial. For example, I might think that everyone needs a Rolls Royce (just to pick a random example) and others may disagree with that statement and I might doggedly defend that statement until I die of ulcers from worrying about it. I mean, I don't know. Maybe keeping things simple and modest is fair game, at least for a start.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:08 am The term "uprooted" is a term that Heidegger sometimes used to describe the status of people living in "modernity" or contemporary culture. I suppose the idea is that one is without firm ground under one's feet and that is, overall, something seemingly unsustainable or undesirable. But, in keeping with the metaphorical aspects of the term, is there firm ground in life? If, so, then what or where is it? If not, is it better to live under a false belief that there is than to be aware of the fragile or otherwise shifting ground one is standing on?
Wittgenstein used the terms 'hinges' and 'riverbeds' to denote that there must be a ground [not absolute] to reality within a Framework and System of reality, i.e. to life.

I believe that is what "unhinged" meant metaphorically;
=mentally unbalanced; deranged.

I believe if we survey the whole of reality from the Big Bang via evolution to the present with relative determinism, we should be able to determine the 'hinges' and 'riverbeds' of reality and life.
In a way, if we understand the naturally contours and features of the river-bed of life, we need to flow optimally in alignment with it, i.e. not crashing to the river banks, swirled by whirlpools and knocked terribly by rocks in the river of life.

Thus Buddhism recommends in a way, the Middle-Way as the optimal.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:17 am Thus Buddhism recommends in a way, the Middle-Way as the optimal.
So did some of the Ancient Greek sages. I'm not sure if everyone agrees to that, though. Some of us seem to be extreme in certain ways.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:29 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:17 am Thus Buddhism recommends in a way, the Middle-Way as the optimal.
So did some of the Ancient Greek sages. I'm not sure if everyone agrees to that, though. Some of us seem to be extreme in certain ways.
Point to note;

Hinduism (Vedic Influence) in Ancient Europe - Italy, Greece, Russia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ixfToFlKoY

“Ancient Greece, Rome were civilised by India.” Jeffrey Armstrong | Vedic Vidya | Indian history
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_48of2bcHbM

The above re Hinduism include Buddhism [500 BCE].

In addition, each influence other as well especially the Greeks were more systematic and formal in their logic and philosophy.

Post by Age »

Peter Kropotkin wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:06 am

nothing...
So, the words, 'We need clean enough air and clean enough water to live and keep surviving', says absolutely nothing to "peter kropotkin".
Peter Kropotkin wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:06 am ok, we all need the necessities... AND.... there is nothing beyond
this... it leads us nowhere...
To you it might "peter kropotkin".

To others, however, it leads 'us' into realizing what 'we' need to protect, and thus do and not do, in relation to what is Right, and Wrong, in Life. That is; if 'we' want to live, and keep surviving.

you, however, are absolutely free as those words lead you to absolutely nowhere "peter kropotkin".
Peter Kropotkin wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:06 am what can we all agree to that actually means
It appears to 'me' that "peter kropotkin" does not consider that doing what it takes to keep the one and only air, and water, on earth 'clean enough' for 'our' continued survival is not something actually worth living for.
Peter Kropotkin wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:06 am how do we build upon this to actually be worth the energy of thinking about
them?

Kropotkin
If you cannot 'see' and 'recognize', 'now already', what do 'you' build upon here, to actually be worth the energy of just 'thinking about' here, then I do not think there is anything else that can make you 'see' and 'realize' here.