Wittgenstein On Certainty and Kant

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Veritas Aequitas

Wittgenstein On Certainty and Kant

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Thesis: Wittgenstein's "On Certainty" complements with Kantianism re the External World where both thoughts in this case are reducible to Framework and System of Reality and Cognition (knowledge) [FSRC]

Wittgenstein’s ‘On Certainty’ is traceable to Kant.

[1] In the CPR, Kant wrote:
  • … it still remains a scandal to Philosophy and to Human Reason-in-General that the Existence of Things outside us (from which we derive the whole Material of Knowledge, even for our Inner Sense) must be accepted merely on Faith, and that if anyone thinks good to doubt their Existence, we are unable to counter his doubts by any satisfactory proof. B55
In his CPR, Kant argued there is no absolute mind-independent external world. Whatever is deemed to be an external world is relative [not absolutely dependent] to the human-conditions.

[2] GE Moore attempted to prove [not mathematical] and counter Kant’s challenge with his
"A Defence of Common Sense" and Proof of an External World. [in Chapter 7 Philosophical Papers ]
  • “IN THE PREFACE to the second edition of Kant’s Critique of Pure Reason some words occur, which, in Professor Kemp Smith’s translation, are rendered as follows: [refer B55 CPR above]”
    "A Defence of Common Sense"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_is_one_hand

[3]The later-Wittgenstein countered Moore two above claims presented in “On Certainty”.
In the preface in ‘On Certainty’ Anscombe wrote;
  • “What we publish here belongs to the last year and a half of Wittgenstein's life.
    In the middle of 1949 he visited the United States at the invitation of Norman Malcolm, staying at Malcolm's house in Ithaca.
    Malcolm acted as a goad to his interest in Moore's 'defence of common sense'"
Btw, Wittgenstein did not write any book titled "On Certainty'.
The title 'On Certainty' was perhaps agreed by Anscombe and the publishers with references to the related notes [re Moore's Proof of an External World] in the final years of Wittgenstein.

My thesis is this;
1. Kant challenged realists to prove the existence of an absolutely mind-independent external world.
2. Moore, a realist took up Kant’s challenge with ‘Proof of an External World.’
3. Wittgenstein questioned the validity of Moore’s counter to Kant.

So, if Wittgenstein questioned the validity of Moore’s argument, then, it is implied Wittgenstein is agreeing with Kant that there is no absolutely mind-independent world.
In this case, the later-Wittgenstein is somewhat an antirealist; [he did not explicitly claimed he was].

I am refreshing my reading of Wittgenstein’s ‘On Certainty.’
I have read it halfway so far, the main theme of “On Certainty” is reducible to Framework and System where Wittgenstein’s Language Games is a human-based Linguistic FSK [FSRC], e.g. [a few among a long list]
83. The truth of certain empirical propositions belongs to our frame of reference.
105. All testing, all confirmation and disconfirmation of a hypothesis takes place already within a system.
141. When we first begin to believe anything, what we believe is not a single proposition, it is a whole system of propositions.
410. Our knowledge forms an enormous system. And only within this system has a particular bit the value we give it.
411. If I say "we assume that the earth has existed for many years past" (or something similar), then of course it sounds strange that we should assume such a thing.
But in the entire system of our Language-Games it belongs to the foundations.
The assumption, one might say, forms the basis of action, and therefore, naturally, of thought.

"On Certainty"
I have read many interpretations and commentaries. Those that did not reduce 'On Certainty' foundation to Framework and System [FSRC] are premature, and lost their way.

Anyone has any counters to my above thesis?

Discuss??
Views??
Last edited by Veritas Aequitas on Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Veritas Aequitas

Re: Wittgenstein On Certainty and Kant

Notes: KIV
Veritas Aequitas

Notes: KIV
Veritas Aequitas

This OP is a confirmation to:
All Present Western Philosophies are Footnotes to Kant's
viewtopic.php?t=41525
Atla

Post by Atla »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:37 am My thesis is this;
1. Kant challenged realists to prove the existence of an absolutely mind-independent external world.
2. Moore, a realist took up Kant’s challenge with ‘Proof of an External World.’
3. Wittgenstein questioned the validity of Moore’s counter to Kant.

So, if Wittgenstein questioned the validity of Moore’s argument, then, it is implied Wittgenstein is agreeing with Kant that there is no absolutely mind-independent world.
Here we have, in your own words, in black and white, a short and very clear admission that you are mentally retarded.

Not being able to prove the existence of the external world doesn't prove the non-existence of the external world.

And Kant was full of himself, so he thought he could solve the "scandal" of philosophy. But the "scandal" is insoluble in his own kind of dualistic philosophy, and doesn't exist in nondual philosophy.

The real "scandal" is that some of these so-called great philosophers couldn't accept and handle a little inherent uncertainty in any worldview. Even many laymen can do that.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

proving a negative... look, another windmill...

-Imp
jesse99

Post by jesse99 »

I appreciate your thesis. The exploration of how both thinkers view the external world through a framework lens is insightful. fnf