The constructivist animosity against the law of the excluded middle

What is the basis for reason? And mathematics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Atla

Re: The constructivist animosity against the law of the excluded middle

Post by Atla »

godelian wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:41 am
Atla wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:30 am I challenge anyone to bring an example from the "real" concrete world where the LEM gets violated.
I reject your question on formalist grounds:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formalism ... thematics)

A central idea of formalism is that mathematics is not a body of propositions representing an abstract sector of reality.

According to formalism, the truths expressed in logic and mathematics are not about numbers, sets, or triangles or any other coextensive subject matter — in fact, they aren't "about" anything at all.
Every possible answer to your question is simply irrelevant and in severe violation of the fundamental ontology of mathematics.
LEM is a basic law of thought, not limited to mathemathics.
godelian

Post by godelian »

Atla wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:44 am LEM is a basic law of thought, not limited to mathemathics.
I reject the psychologist ontology of mathematics:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy_of_mathematics

Psychologism in the philosophy of mathematics is the position that mathematical concepts and/or truths are grounded in, derived from or explained by psychological facts (or laws).
Computers can perfectly handle mathematics, while they are in no way or fashion psychological beings.
Atla

Post by Atla »

godelian wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:50 am
Atla wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:44 am LEM is a basic law of thought, not limited to mathemathics.
I reject the psychologist ontology of mathematics:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy_of_mathematics

Psychologism in the philosophy of mathematics is the position that mathematical concepts and/or truths are grounded in, derived from or explained by psychological facts (or laws).
Computers can perfectly handle mathematics, while they are in no way or fashion psychological beings.
The LEM is a basic law of thought. It has been one of the three fundamental laws of thought since Aristotle. I don't know why you bring up the philosophy of mathemathics now.
godelian

Post by godelian »

Atla wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:56 am The LEM is a basic law of thought. It has been one of the three fundamental laws of thought since Aristotle.
Of course, I do not deny Aristotle's merit or the merit of his work. However, it was merely the starting point of a long journey. It is not because Aristotle initially identified three candidate laws as fundamental that they eventually turned out to be fundamental. The same holds true for Isaac Newton. He originally produced fantastically good research. But then again, physicists no longer use his classical mechanics when dealing with very small or very big objects. In logic, we no longer use Aristotle's LEM when dealing with the inevitable class of undecidable problems.
Atla wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:56 am I don't know why you bring up the philosophy of mathemathics now.
Really?

The final answer to a non-trivial problem in mathematics is always a philosophical choice. That is simply the nature of the beast.
Atla

Post by Atla »

godelian wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:03 am
Atla wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:56 am The LEM is a basic law of thought. It has been one of the three fundamental laws of thought since Aristotle.
Of course, I do not deny Aristotle's merit or the merit of his work. However, it was merely the starting point of a long journey. It is not because Aristotle initially identified three candidate laws as fundamental that they eventually turned out to be fundamental. The same holds true for Isaac Newton. He originally produced fantastically good research. But then again, physicists no longer use his classical mechanics when dealing with very small or very big objects. In logic, we no longer use Aristotle's LEM when dealing with the inevitable class of undecidable problems.
Atla wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:56 am I don't know why you bring up the philosophy of mathemathics now.
Really?

The final answer to a non-trivial problem in mathematics is always a philosophical choice. That is simply the nature of the beast.
Well at this point we can only repeat ourselves. Logicians are inept for not seeing the layers of abstract thinking. Of course we can't use the LEM for issues we can't use it for, like undecidable problems. But that doesn't invalidate the LEM in any way as it still holds fundamentally.

It's like saying, science can't tell what's outside the observable universe therefore science is wrong.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

godelian wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:05 am
Skepdick wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:36 pm Let the predicate φ be LEM itself in predicate form. Which is exactly the EITHER monad.

Code: Select all

(either R ∈ R or R !∈ R)
If LEM is an axiom (and therefore always true) then the predicate is always-satisfiable.

But neither disjunct is true! So the search will never terminate. Obviously. You can't find what doesn't exist...
I think that I finally understand the gist of the issue now.

Axiomatizing the truth of "P or not P", i.e. the LEM, assumes that all problems are decidable. This view is absolutely unrealistic:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undecidable_problem

Since there are uncountably many undecidable problems, any list, even one of infinite length, is necessarily incomplete.
The indiscriminate use of the LEM denies the historical fact that the answer to David Hilbert's Entscheidungsproblem is a resounding "no":
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entscheidungsproblem

The problem asks for an algorithm that considers, as input, a statement and answers "yes" or "no" according to whether the statement is universally valid, i.e., valid in every structure.

In 1936, Alonzo Church and Alan Turing published independent papers[2] showing that a general solution to the Entscheidungsproblem is impossible.
Hence, axiomatizing the LEM amounts to ignoring the answers by Alonzo Church and Alan Turing to David Hilbert's Entscheidungsproblem and actively denying the existence of fundamentally unsolvable problems, even though there is an infinitely long list of them.
You got the gist of it. Now do a U-turn back to Rice's theorem....

Syntactically speaking virtually nothing is decidable unless it's trivially true.

Given a particular syntax does the the symbol X represent a set?

That's a type-checking question. How do you type-check symbols without explicit type declarations? You can't - the required information is not encoded in your syntax. So you are back at the untyped lambda calculus.

Is 0 a number? Undecidable.
Is the successor function applicable to 0? Undecidable.
Can you ALWAYS call the successor function to get a larger number? Undecidable.

You can deconstruct the whole house of cards.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Why do you say that?
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Atla wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:20 am I don't understand what you mean. What does the LEM have to do with decidability?
Everything. LEM by induction gives you omniscience.

You can blame Aristotle for the psychological phenomenon of God.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Skepdick wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:55 pm
Atla wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:20 am I don't understand what you mean. What does the LEM have to do with decidability?

Oooo...kaaayyy... yes of course it gives you omniscience... You hit the nail on the head! Now I'll back away reaal slowly... okay? ... don't mind me...
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Atla wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:09 pm

Oooo...kaaayyy... yes of course it gives you omniscience... You hit the nail on the head! Now I'll back away reaal slowly... okay? ... don't mind me...
Shame, you seem to have confused yourself on your (non?)dualism.

Dualism: X is either true or false.
Non-dualism: X is neither true nor false.

Either you are a dualist or you are a non-dualist :lol: :lol: :lol:
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Atla wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:09 pm Oooo...kaaayyy... yes of course it gives you omniscience... You hit the nail on the head! Now I'll back away reaal slowly... okay? ... don't mind me...
Here you go, ignoramus.

https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/principle+of+omniscience
In logic and foundations, a principle of omniscience is any principle of classical mathematics that is not valid in constructive mathematics. The idea behind the name (which is due to Bishop (1967)) is that, if we attempt to extend the computational interpretation of constructive mathematics to incorporate one of these principles, we would have to know something that we cannot compute. The main example is the law of excluded middle (EM); to apply P ∨ ¬P computationally, we must know which of these disjuncts hold; to apply this in all situations, we would have to know everything (hence ‘omniscience’).
The belief in LEM causes the belief in omniscience. I can only explain it to you - I can't understand it for you.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Skepdick wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:50 pm
Atla wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:09 pm Oooo...kaaayyy... yes of course it gives you omniscience... You hit the nail on the head! Now I'll back away reaal slowly... okay? ... don't mind me...
Here you go, ignoramus.

https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/principle+of+omniscience
In logic and foundations, a principle of omniscience is any principle of classical mathematics that is not valid in constructive mathematics. The idea behind the name (which is due to Bishop (1967)) is that, if we attempt to extend the computational interpretation of constructive mathematics to incorporate one of these principles, we would have to know something that we cannot compute. The main example is the law of excluded middle (EM); to apply P ∨ ¬P computationally, we must know which of these disjuncts hold; to apply this in all situations, we would have to know everything (hence ‘omniscience’).
The belief in LEM causes the belief in omniscience. I can only explain it to you - I can't understand it for you.
So it's a principle (still pretty dumb naming) but it doesn't give me actual omniscience? Daamn :(
Atla

Post by Atla »

Skepdick wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:13 pm
Atla wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:09 pm

Shame, you seem to have confused yourself on your (non?)dualism.

Dualism: X is either true or false.
Non-dualism: X is neither true nor false.

Either you are a dualist or you are a non-dualist :lol: :lol: :lol:
word salad
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Atla wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:09 am So it's a principle (still pretty dumb naming) but it doesn't give me actual omniscience? Daamn :(
Salad brain. It's an axiom. Which implies it's always true.

Go ahead and decide whether the number of stars in the universe is odd or even.

"I don't know" or "I can't count them" are NOT acceptable answers. You MUST know. Axiomatically.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:40 am
Atla wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:09 am So it's a principle (still pretty dumb naming) but it doesn't give me actual omniscience? Daamn :(
Salad brain. It's an axiom. Which implies it's always true.

Go ahead and decide whether the number of stars in the universe is odd or even.

"I don't know" or "I can't count them" are NOT acceptable answers. You MUST know. Axiomatically.
You've been smoking too much again I think. There's certainly no such axiom or even such a principle about the LEM generally. Okay there is this principle in some obscure part of maths apparently.