Why FSC Cognition over FSK Knowledge?

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Veritas Aequitas

Why FSC Cognition over FSK Knowledge?

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

I had been using the concept of Framework and System of Knowledge [FSK] all the while, I have now decided to change to Framework and System of Cognition [FSC].
The a priori Framework and System of Emergence and Realization of Reality is the FSR.
Thus when combined it will be FSRC.

The FSK is still valid in denoting how knowledge [end result] is constructed which include the FSR and the FSC. I will use it only when necessary to avoid confusion.

Why FSC Cognition is preferred over FSK Knowledge?
Kant used the term "Erkenntnis" which NK Smith [my main reference] translated in the CPR as 'knowledge'. Thus my usual reference to 'knowledge'.
However, Guyer & Wood translated "Erkenntnis" as 'Cognition' which reflect Kant's intended meaning more accurately.

AI [with reservations] explains;
Accuracy: "Erkenntnis" in German refers to a broader concept than just "knowledge." It encompasses the entire process of acquiring knowledge, including perception, judgment, and understanding. "Knowledge" often implies a more finalized state of having certain information as true. "Cognition" better captures the active mental processes involved in forming knowledge.

Breadth of Erkenntnis: Erkenntnis refers to the entire process of acquiring knowledge, encompassing perception, judgment, and understanding. It's not just the final, validated knowledge itself. "Knowledge" can sometimes imply a more certain and finalized state.

•Active vs. Passive: "Cognition" emphasizes the active mental process of knowing. It highlights how our minds shape and organize sensory experience. "Knowledge" can sometimes come across as a more passive state of simply possessing information.

Limits of Knowledge: Kant, in the CPR, explores the limitations of human knowledge. He argues that some things are "noumena" while others are "phenomena" (appearances we can experience). "Cognition" better reflects this distinction, encompassing both the process of experiencing and the limitations of attaining complete knowledge.

Kant's Theory: Kant, in the CPR, is particularly interested in the limitations and structures of human cognition. He argues that our minds actively shape how we experience the world, not simply passively receiving information. "Cognition" emphasizes this active role of the mind in constructing knowledge.

Here's a breakdown of the key differences:

Knowledge: - A justified true belief (classic definition)
Cognition: - The entire mental process of acquiring knowledge, including perception, judgment, and understanding.

Using "cognition" highlights Kant's focus on the process of how we come to know things, rather than just the end product (justified true belief) that "knowledge" suggests.
Whenever I used FSK [knowledge], it would trigger Peter and others to insist there must be something human-mind-independent that is known and described.

The use of 'cognition' implies the entire process of how knowledge came about, i.e. there is an a priori process of emergence and realization of reality which is subsequently perceived, known, consciously experienced and described.

While Kant did not elaborate on the process of emergence and realization of reality, Kant did not accept that there are things that human-mind-independent, i.e. the noumena aka thing-in-itself which are illusions if reified.

From now on I will be using the term Framework and System of Cognition [FSRC].
The a priori Framework and System of Emergence and Realization of Reality is the FSR. Thus when combined it will be FSRC.

Discuss??
Views??
Last edited by Veritas Aequitas on Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Veritas Aequitas

Re: Why FSC Cognition over FSK Knowledge?

Notes: KIV
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Oh FFS
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:12 am The use of 'cognition' implies the entire process of how knowledge came about, i.e. there is an a priori process of emergence and realization of reality which is subsequently perceived, known, consciously experienced and described.
I always assumed this was included in the system part of framework and system of knowledge. That that part indicated the processes of arriving at knowledge. Possibly even framework also, which could have meant models.

But since, you felt the need to change to cognition, rather than knowledge, what do those two words refer to?

System and Framework, that is.
Veritas Aequitas

Iwannaplato wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:47 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:12 am The use of 'cognition' implies the entire process of how knowledge came about, i.e. there is an a priori process of emergence and realization of reality which is subsequently perceived, known, consciously experienced and described.
I always assumed this was included in the system part of framework and system of knowledge. That that part indicated the processes of arriving at knowledge. Possibly even framework also, which could have meant models.

But since, you felt the need to change to cognition, rather than knowledge, what do those two words refer to?

System and Framework, that is.
You have been accusing of not reading what you and other wrote.
I have referenced this many times;

What is a Framework and System of Knowledge?
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31889

You must read the above.

Here is what ChatGpt [withR] wrote about FSK [FSRC]
ChatGPT wrote:
Yes, the term "A Framework and System of Knowledge" is a meaningful and valid phrase to describe the structured organization and interrelatedness of knowledge in a particular field or discipline, such as science. It acknowledges that knowledge is not just a collection of isolated facts, but is rather an interconnected system of ideas and concepts that can be organized and studied within a framework or structure.

Using this phrase to describe scientific knowledge implies that there is a systematic process by which scientific facts are discovered, verified, and integrated into a broader understanding of the natural world. This can include concepts such as scientific method, peer review, and consensus-building within the scientific community.

Overall, while the specific phrase "A Framework and System of Knowledge" may not be commonly used, it accurately reflects the way that knowledge is organized and understood within many academic fields.
Read this post as well
Richard Feyman on Framework
viewtopic.php?p=621471#p621471
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:10 am You have been accusing of not reading what you and other wrote.
I have referenced this many times;
I think my way of describing the issue was that you don't respond to what I write and/or that from your responses it is not clear that you have read what I wrote. That you often restate your position or give it in a new paraphrase, but that your responses do not integrate what I or others have said. If, at one point I accused you of not reading it, this is what I meant. I can't know what you read. I can only know what you don't respond to or when it is as if you might as well have not read.

Great you linked me to a post from 2001. How silly of me to not have you and your millions of posts completely memorized.

Further, I was asking IN THE CONTEXT of the replacement of knowledge with cognition.
What is a Framework and System of Knowledge?
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31889
Notice that the chatgpt explanation says that the Framework and system shows how the KNOWLEDGE is created/found. Methodology and epistomology. But here the word is now cognition. So, does it mean that the Framework and System are how we create cognition???

That's why I am asking what those terms mean now. Knowledge can be a of several types, for example explicit knowledge. So, FSK are the steps, processes, models, methodologies that lead to explicit knowledge.

But to me this needs a reformulation if the concluding noun is 'cognition', a process word. And note: I am not saying it doesn't work, but I think it needs a reexplanation now that knowledge has been replaced with cognition.
You must read the above.

Here is what ChatGpt [withR] wrote about FSK [FSRC]
ChatGPT wrote:
Yes, the term "A Framework and System of Knowledge" is a meaningful and valid phrase to describe the structured organization and interrelatedness of knowledge in a particular field or discipline, such as science. It acknowledges that knowledge is not just a collection of isolated facts, but is rather an interconnected system of ideas and concepts that can be organized and studied within a framework or structure.

Using this phrase to describe scientific knowledge implies that there is a systematic process by which scientific facts are discovered, verified, and integrated into a broader understanding of the natural world. This can include concepts such as scientific method, peer review, and consensus-building within the scientific community.

Overall, while the specific phrase "A Framework and System of Knowledge" may not be commonly used, it accurately reflects the way that knowledge is organized and understood within many academic fields
.That is also about Knowledge, not Cognition. I realize the terms overlap, but you, obviously think Cognition is better. They do not mean the same thing, which affects the whole phrase.

Knowledge is often a term for the results of a process of studying/thinking about/researching/experimentation/ deducing. Even implicit/tacit knowledge (often an ability or skill of some kind) is a result. Cognition on the other hand is a process word, involving, as I believe you said perception itself. So, not just the results of the research, in science say, but the cognitive processes used in scientific research. It's not merely a more inclusive synonym, but has to do with less reified processes and not just results.

In FSK the F and S stood for processes that led to results, methodology, for example. Now we have instead of knowledge a term that itself has to do with methodology, and at a very fundamental level. Again, this is not criticism, this is me seeking clarification. Given that the final term, cognition, is ALSO a process term and not just a result term, what are the meanings of the other terms in the new phrase?
Veritas Aequitas

Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:04 am But to me this needs a reformulation if the concluding noun is 'cognition', a process word. And note: I am not saying it doesn't work, but I think it needs a reexplanation now that knowledge has been replaced with cognition.
I have explained via AI the difference between 'Cognition' and 'Knowledge' in the OP.