Is there moral high ground? And if so, what is it?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

Is there moral high ground? And if so, what is it?

Post by Gary Childress »

How are we to resolve the current increase of strife in the world? Can we go back to the way things were with perpetually volatile battle lines drawn between competing political impulses or is it necessary to resolve the current situation more decisively, to essentially pick a side that we think is the more worthy and move forward from there in hopes that the side of greater evil doesn't win? How long can some of us sit on the fence and watch? Can we do it until the side that we want least to prevail actually does prevail? Are all sides in this conflict equally valid? Is it moral perfection to tolerate all beliefs in a happily peaceful world of multipolitical diversity?

And what about the threat of nuclear escalation? How can that be avoided?

I offer the opinion piece below, which I recently came across, as possibly being a reasonable assessment of one of the current boiling points in the world--the conflict in Gaza:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/we ... 823c&ei=16

Re: Is there moral high ground? And if so, what is it?

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:23 am How are we to resolve the current increase of strife in the world?
Well continually doing what you adult human beings have doing for the last few millennia or so to resolve the appearance of 'the current increase of strife in the world', again over the last few millennia or so, hopefully, by now, some would agree has not been working at all.

Now, how to actually resolve not just 'some apparent increase of strife in the world', in the days when this is being written, but for evermore for all of 'the strife' in 'the world' is by first admitting who is causing and creating all of the so-called 'strife' in 'the world'.

And, obviously, it is you adult human beings, alone. Absolutely no thing nor no one else is contributing to 'the strife' in 'the world'. And, just as obvious all of you adult human beings are complicit in one way or another.

Now, once just one of you can admit to and accept this fully. Then, I can help you find, uncover, and see 'the resolution' to all 'strife, forever more'. But, until absolutely anyone comes forward, in a Truly OPEN and Honest sincere way, and seriously is seeking to change, "themself" for the better here, then 'we' can proceed. Until then you people are, literally, on your own here.
Gary Childress wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:23 am Can we go back to the way things were with perpetually volatile battle lines drawn between competing political impulses or is it necessary to resolve the current situation more decisively, to essentially pick a side that we think is the more worthy and move forward from there in hopes that the side of greater evil doesn't win?
Just picking "a side" where not every one is in agreement is 'evil', itself. It is 'picking' or 'choosing' 'some' over 'others', which is bad, Wrong, or evil, whatever way you want to 'look at' and 'see' things.
Gary Childress wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:23 am How long can some of us sit on the fence and watch?
Well you adult human beings have been doing this for millennia hitherto, so may be for another few thousands years or more. It would all depend on if you eradicate "yourselves" from earth beforehand.
Gary Childress wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:23 am Can we do it until the side that we want least to prevail actually does prevail?
Well the "side" that all want least to prevail, is the "side" that is actually bad, Wrong, or evil. And, obviously, no one wants "that side" to prevail. So, what you asked here was some really weird stuff.

Would you really stop sitting on the fence and stop watching to just go on "the side" of evil, for just some whatever reason "gary childress"?
Gary Childress wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:23 am Are all sides in this conflict equally valid?
There are only actually 'two sides' here to pick and/or choose from. All other "sides" are just False or Wrong misinterpretations and/or beliefs.

The only things with 'sides' here are the one of 'good' and the one of 'bad'.
Gary Childress wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:23 am Is it moral perfection to tolerate all beliefs in a happily peaceful world of multipolitical diversity?
How could absolutely anyone of or with Truly 'morality' 'tolerate' one with a belief that abusing others is okay or all right?

Also, 'politics' plays absolutely no part at all in a Truly 'happy and peaceful harmonious world'.

Gary Childress wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:23 am And what about the threat of nuclear escalation? How can that be avoided?
By just 'growing up' and 'maturing' properly and Correctly.
Gary Childress wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:23 am I offer the opinion piece below, which I recently came across, as possibly being a reasonable assessment of one of the current boiling points in the world--the conflict in Gaza:

What do you see in 'those words', exactly, as, supposedly, being a 'reasonable assessment' of just another adult human being created and caused war?

Also, the heading of that so-called 'opinion piece' provides a direct link and insight into one's very strongly held onto 'beliefs', and not just some 'opinion', which could be OPEN to being wrong or incorrect in any way.

The heading, We’ve got to stop believing Hamas’ lies about civilian deaths in Gaza. really is as absurd and ridiculous as it first sounded.

Have you human beings got to stop believing any and all 'lies' said or written in regards to absolutely any and every thing?

Or, do you have only got to stop believing the lies on the "other side" of "the side" you have chosen to follow?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Age wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:25 am
Gary Childress wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:23 am How are we to resolve the current increase of strife in the world?
Well continually doing what you adult human beings have doing for the last few millennia or so to resolve the appearance of 'the current increase of strife in the world', again over the last few millennia or so, hopefully, by now, some would agree has not been working at all.

Now, how to actually resolve not just 'some apparent increase of strife in the world', in the days when this is being written, but for evermore for all of 'the strife' in 'the world' is by first admitting who is causing and creating all of the so-called 'strife' in 'the world'.

And, obviously, it is you adult human beings, alone. Absolutely no thing nor no one else is contributing to 'the strife' in 'the world'. And, just as obvious all of you adult human beings are complicit in one way or another.

Now, once just one of you can admit to and accept this fully. Then, I can help you find, uncover, and see 'the resolution' to all 'strife, forever more'. But, until absolutely anyone comes forward, in a Truly OPEN and Honest sincere way, and seriously is seeking to change, "themself" for the better here, then 'we' can proceed. Until then you people are, literally, on your own here.
Gary Childress wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:23 am Can we go back to the way things were with perpetually volatile battle lines drawn between competing political impulses or is it necessary to resolve the current situation more decisively, to essentially pick a side that we think is the more worthy and move forward from there in hopes that the side of greater evil doesn't win?
Just picking "a side" where not every one is in agreement is 'evil', itself. It is 'picking' or 'choosing' 'some' over 'others', which is bad, Wrong, or evil, whatever way you want to 'look at' and 'see' things.
Gary Childress wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:23 am How long can some of us sit on the fence and watch?
Well you adult human beings have been doing this for millennia hitherto, so may be for another few thousands years or more. It would all depend on if you eradicate "yourselves" from earth beforehand.
Gary Childress wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:23 am Can we do it until the side that we want least to prevail actually does prevail?
Well the "side" that all want least to prevail, is the "side" that is actually bad, Wrong, or evil. And, obviously, no one wants "that side" to prevail. So, what you asked here was some really weird stuff.

Would you really stop sitting on the fence and stop watching to just go on "the side" of evil, for just some whatever reason "gary childress"?
Gary Childress wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:23 am Are all sides in this conflict equally valid?
There are only actually 'two sides' here to pick and/or choose from. All other "sides" are just False or Wrong misinterpretations and/or beliefs.

Gary Childress wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:23 am Is it moral perfection to tolerate all beliefs in a happily peaceful world of multipolitical diversity?
How could absolutely anyone of or with Truly 'morality' 'tolerate' one with a belief that abusing others is okay or all right?

Also, 'politics' plays absolutely no part at all in a Truly 'happy and peaceful harmonious world'.

Gary Childress wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:23 am And what about the threat of nuclear escalation? How can that be avoided?
Gary Childress wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:23 am I offer the opinion piece below, which I recently came across, as possibly being a reasonable assessment of one of the current boiling points in the world--the conflict in Gaza:

What do you see in 'those words', exactly, as, supposedly, being a 'reasonable assessment' of just another adult human being created and caused war?

Also, the heading of that so-called 'opinion piece' provides a direct link and insight into one's very strongly held onto 'beliefs', and not just some 'opinion', which could be OPEN to being wrong or incorrect in any way.

The heading, We’ve got to stop believing Hamas’ lies about civilian deaths in Gaza. really is as absurd and ridiculous as it first sounded.

Have you human beings got to stop believing any and all 'lies' said or written in regards to absolutely any and every thing?

Or, do you have only got to stop believing the lies on the "other side" of "the side" you have chosen to follow?
From my perspective, it appears that both Putin and Hamas started hostilities where there previously were none. Putin invaded Ukraine without himself being attacked. Hamas attacked Israel without Israel having attacked them. Indeed, the Israeli government even gave them aid in the form of funding to help keep the peace and as the authority over Gazans, Hamas used virtually all their aid money to buy weapons while their own people thirsted and starved and now use them as shields. Is that Israel's fault? How can we condemn Israel and Ukraine as equally wrong when they are defending themselves? If someone attacked you and I, Age, would you and I not feel betrayed if everyone else around us sat idly by and watched and even condemned us for fighting back?

What I have written above is what I'm seeing after reading that article. I am unable to condemn Israel and Ukraine for defending themselves. And that is what I feel that those of us who disapprove of their conduct are doing--just sitting back and criticizing from our armchairs. Putin and Hamas have left them no choice. Hamas keeps breaking cease-fires to attack Israel and will not stop doing so.

Am I wrong to see things this way?
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

What I have written above is what I'm seeing after reading that article.
Maybe you ought to read more than one article about the situation.
Janoah

Post by Janoah »

Gary Childress wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:08 pm Putin invaded Ukraine without himself being attacked.
In the conflict in Ukraine, not everything is so simple; before attacking, Putin warned verbally and in writing that he would not tolerate NATO in Kyiv, which was the capital of the Russian state a thousand years before the concept of “Ukraine” appeared. But the West did not even agree to discuss this, and used Ukrainian nationalists for its proxy war against Russia.
In Russia, for more than a thousand years, Kyiv has been called “the mother of Russian cities.” Modern Russia has recognized the sovereignty of Ukraine, but a hostile NATO in Kyiv is a spit in the soul. Much more can be added that modern Ukraine received Western Ukraine, the Carpathians, Transcarpathia, Northern Bukovina from Stalin, and the Ukrainian nationalist Petliura abandoned claims to Western Ukraine for the sake of a war against Russia together with Poland.
But this is so, by the way, I said.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Fair enough. I stand corrected.
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

Fair enough.
Nothing fair about it.

Vladimir Putin doesn't get to decide which organizations a sovereign Ukraine is allowed to join.

What do you think 'sovereign' means?

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:08 pm

From my perspective, it appears that both Putin and Hamas started hostilities where there previously were none. Putin invaded Ukraine without himself being attacked. Hamas attacked Israel without Israel having attacked them. Indeed, the Israeli government even gave them aid in the form of funding to help keep the peace and as the authority over Gazans, Hamas used virtually all their aid money to buy weapons while their own people thirsted and starved and now use them as shields. Is that Israel's fault? How can we condemn Israel and Ukraine as equally wrong when they are defending themselves? If someone attacked you and I, Age, would you and I not feel betrayed if everyone else around us sat idly by and watched and even condemned us for fighting back?

What I have written above is what I'm seeing after reading that article. I am unable to condemn Israel and Ukraine for defending themselves. And that is what I feel that those of us who disapprove of their conduct are doing--just sitting back and criticizing from our armchairs. Putin and Hamas have left them no choice. Hamas keeps breaking cease-fires to attack Israel and will not stop doing so.

'you', a human being, are not wrong for seeing anything in any way.

However, in saying that, what you are seeing could be ultimately absolutely Wrong, or anywhere between being absolutely Wrong to being absolutely Right.

Where you, and even why you, are seeing things here only from a very, very narrowed perspective, and thus not seeing things in the Right way, partly explains why you are not recognising and seeing the whole and True full picture here,

The way you are 'looking at', and thus 'seeing', things here is not in 'the way' that paints and illustrates the Truest and biggest Picture, for you.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

phyllo wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:47 pm
Fair enough.
Nothing fair about it.

Vladimir Putin doesn't get to decide which organizations a sovereign Ukraine is allowed to join.

If you agree with my post, then I don't understand why you asked me to "read more articles".
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Age wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:35 am
Gary Childress wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:08 pm

'you', a human being, are not wrong for seeing anything in any way.

However, in saying that, what you are seeing could be ultimately absolutely Wrong, or anywhere between being absolutely Wrong to being absolutely Right.

Where you, and even why you, are seeing things here only from a very, very narrowed perspective, and thus not seeing things in the Right way, partly explains why you are not recognising and seeing the whole and True full picture here,

The way you are 'looking at', and thus 'seeing', things here is not in 'the way' that paints and illustrates the Truest and biggest Picture, for you.
Well, I'm tired of all the nuclear saber-rattling and talk of World War III that I'm seeing in the news. It's freaking me out and I wish all the people talking about such things would just shut the hell up. We're not on our way to World War III or Nuclear War if journalists would just shut their fat mouths about it.
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:58 pm
Fair enough.
Nothing fair about it.

If you agree with my post, then I don't understand why you asked me to "read more articles".
I didn't agree with your posts.

The OP is based on an article that could have been written by the Israeli Ministry of Propaganda.

Which is why I think you ought to read something written from another perspective.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

phyllo wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:25 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:58 pm
Nothing fair about it.

I didn't agree with your posts.

The OP is based on an article that could have been written by the Israeli Ministry of Propaganda.

Which is why I think you ought to read something written from another perspective.
What makes you think the article is wrong? Is Hamas not inflating civilian casualties? Is the IDF not discriminating well enough between military and civilian targets? According to the author of the article, the IDF is being as diligent as they can in avoiding collateral casualties but Hamas has chosen to hide among the populace while it attacks Israel.

It seems like Hamas shouldn't have started all this. It doesn't seem as though they've left Israel any choice. They should have been using all the funding they were receiving to supply their people with things they needed like food and water instead of blowing it on things to kill other human beings with.

Perhaps much of what we're hearing in the news these days from Al Jazeera and other sources is little more than propaganda against Israel.

In any case, I'm not sure what to believe anymore. I just wish people would behave themselves and not go around killing each other or invading other countries. Bush was wrong. Putin is wrong. Hamas is wrong. Biden got us out of Afghanistan and Obama got us out of Iraq. We didn't belong there. And now in repayment for getting us out of those places, Putin and Hamas are attacking because they think they can take advantage of "weakness". It is not "weak" to end a war. It's praiseworthy. Only now we look like fools for backing away from war.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Janoah wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:29 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:08 pm Putin invaded Ukraine without himself being attacked.
In the conflict in Ukraine, not everything is so simple; before attacking, Putin warned verbally and in writing that he would not tolerate NATO in Kyiv, which was the capital of the Russian state a thousand years before the concept of “Ukraine” appeared. But the West did not even agree to discuss this, and used Ukrainian nationalists for its proxy war against Russia.
In Russia, for more than a thousand years, Kyiv has been called “the mother of Russian cities.” Modern Russia has recognized the sovereignty of Ukraine, but a hostile NATO in Kyiv is a spit in the soul. Much more can be added that modern Ukraine received Western Ukraine, the Carpathians, Transcarpathia, Northern Bukovina from Stalin, and the Ukrainian nationalist Petliura abandoned claims to Western Ukraine for the sake of a war against Russia together with Poland.
But this is so, by the way, I said.
As Phyllo says, it is not up to Putin to dictate what Ukraine can and cannot do or what they can be members of and what they cannot. Putin is wrong. He is a dictator and an aggressive one. He's invaded a country that didn't attack him. He used to send bombers on patrol near the US and other antics just to get a rise out of us and for no other reason. He needs to do the right thing and step down from power and receive what he has sown for himself before he only makes it worse for himself and everyone else. It will be a lesson to him and to future leaders who do what he has done to his opponents and by extension to the Russian people.
Last edited by Gary Childress on Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

But Gary a lotta Russians like Putin and his autocratic style government. What we need to do is let the Russian people decide for themselves what they want. If one day they've had enough and shout 'screw this for a lark!', (as the great revolutionary Rosa Lichtenstein once put it), they will rise up with their hammers and sickles once again... and we will lead them to their victory!
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

promethean75 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:12 pm But Gary a lotta Russians like Putin and his autocratic style government. What we need to do is let the Russian people decide for themselves what they want. If one day they've had enough and shout 'screw this for a lark!', (as the great revolutionary Rosa Lichtenstein once put it), they will rise up with their hammers and sickles once again... and we will lead them to their victory!
That's fine. The US government has no business to do anything other than administer social security, infrastructure, and other programs for We the people. I leave it to the Russian people to seek justice for what Putin's put them and everyone else through.

HOWEVER, the US needs to bring George Bush and those responsible for the invasion of Iraq to justice also. Enough of all this killing and fighting and allowing leaders to get away with such things. This has all gone too far. If we are truly on the brink of WW3 and possibly a nuclear miscalculation, then it's time for the guilty to pay for their crimes and bring the world back to peace.