Embodied Realism vs Disembodied Realism

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Veritas Aequitas

Re: Embodied Realism vs Disembodied Realism

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:04 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:52 am
Flannel Jesus wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:58 pm
The dude would get further if he just started asking people what they believe.
I have already explained,
those who do not agree with my FSRK basis of reality belong the disembodied realism in terms of the disembodied-realism point ii, iii, iv.
Ok, and it's been explained to you that you're incorrect. You don't really get to decide other people's beliefs for them, are you aware of that?

If you reject that, then you must believe pedophilia is acceptable, and that child molestation should not be punished.

To put it in terms you understand,

If someone believes all the things VA believes, then they also believe

i. Child molestation should not be punished
ii. It should actually be encouraged

It must be true, because I've made a numbered list like you. Now we are both respectable intellectuals making unassailable points with our numbered lists telling other people what they believe.
You don't seem to get the point.

I am making a claim with argument,
"those who do not agree with my FSRK basis of reality belong the disembodied realism in terms of the disembodied-realism point ii, iii, iv."

This is not politics nor I am God that can imposed on others.
This is a philosophical forum which I can make whatever claims I think is reasonable, and those who disagree can give their counter argument or simply ignore it.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:04 am It must be true, because I've made a numbered list like you. Now we are both respectable intellectuals making unassailable points with our numbered lists telling other people what they believe.
👍
:P
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:22 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:52 am
I have already explained,
those who do not agree with my FSRK basis of reality belong the disembodied realism in terms of the disembodied-realism point ii, iii, iv.
Ok, and it's been explained to you that you're incorrect. You don't really get to decide other people's beliefs for them, are you aware of that?

If you reject that, then you must believe pedophilia is acceptable, and that child molestation should not be punished.

It must be true, because I've made a numbered list like you. Now we are both respectable intellectuals making unassailable points with our numbered lists telling other people what they believe.

"those who do not agree with my FSRK basis of reality belong the disembodied realism in terms of the disembodied-realism point ii, iii, iv."

This is a philosophical forum which I can make whatever claims I think is reasonable, and those who disagree can give their counter argument or simply ignore it.
I see that you have not denied i and ii which I laid out perfectly and philosophically, so you must agree, you believe those things.

Yes, I can see we are both now making completely respectable philosophical arguments. Can't believe it took me so long to realise how to tell other people what they believe. What a fantastic way to converse.

Of course now I'm stuck conversing with a pedophile defender, which is... less than ideal.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:22 am You don't seem to get the point.

This would be a perfectly good claim in some other context, one where you made an argument. Arguments have to do with justification. You didn't justify those claims i----->iv.

I don't think you understand what justification is. I think you conflate appeals to authority and re-paraphrasing (re-asserting) with an argument. Or to put this another way 'strings of assertions do not an argument make'.
Veritas Aequitas

Flannel Jesus wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:46 am

I see that you have not denied i and ii which I laid out perfectly and philosophically, so you must agree, you believe those things.

Yes, I can see we are both now making completely respectable philosophical arguments. Can't believe it took me so long to realise how to tell other people what they believe. What a fantastic way to converse.

Of course now I'm stuck conversing with a pedophile defender, which is... less than ideal.
As I had stated;
"This is a philosophical forum which I can make whatever claims I think is reasonable, and those who disagree can give their counter argument or simply ignore it."

You can also make whatever claim you want, and I have chosen to ignore it because it is pluck from your state of mind.

The points listed in the OP are not from the air but from the book 'Philosophy in the Flesh' with the detailed arguments in the book.
https://www.amazon.com/Philosophy-Flesh ... 0465056741
Veritas Aequitas

Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:57 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:22 am You don't seem to get the point.

This would be a perfectly good claim in some other context, one where you made an argument. Arguments have to do with justification. You didn't justify those claims i----->iv.

I don't think you understand what justification is. I think you conflate appeals to authority and re-paraphrasing (re-asserting) with an argument. Or to put this another way 'strings of assertions do not an argument make'.
I have justified my arguments validly and soundly but what is missing are the supporting details to the premises.

AI had stated the points listed are key points.
Actually if you are well read you would gather some ideas on what the points are about.
If you are seriously interested, we can ask AI or read the book for more details.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

VA, you have problems with justification. You don't realize this. People react to it. Sometimes nastily. Sometimes probingly. Sometimes merely pointing out what is lacking. This has been going on for a long time.

Let me make a guess. I doubt you've been in rigorous academic settings where you could get feedback from a professor on your interpretation of texts and on making arguments (justifying). You may have logged into college courses online, but not as a student whose essays get feedback, where leaps in the argument are pointed out, where you've been given guidance in how to formulate an argument, how to use the ideas of other people in that argument and how to criticize the arguments of others.

One need not have any academic background to gain these tools.

One could get this through conversations with parents or friends who are also interested in ideas and willing to point out when your argument or interpretation is not justified. And who do these things well and/or are learning to with you.

I don't think you realize, because of this, how often your arguments are actually strings of assertions. I think this is why you need to use quotes from authors and AIs so often, because justifying is not a skill you've had help with.

You come to PN and meet abrasive responses and so you get defensive. So, the feedback you get about your arguments and lack of justification (not always but often) is dismissed by you as dependent on the psychology of the people you are interacting with.

This is a shame, because you are through this dismissal NOT learning how to improve justification and interpretation.

In this last week you put out positions that contradict your own positions at least as much as those of others, but you don't notice this.
You don't notice that when you respond to people, most of the time, much of your response is a re-assertion of your position.

In an academic setting or in discussion with interested peers or family members, this would be called out. Hey, you didn't actually respond to the point Hegel or Tony was making? Professors and friends, given that you need to respect them at least because they are friends or because your parents or you are paying good money to learn from them have suggested something. Here, they get dismissed as I sadly think (but do not assume) this will get dismissed.

It seems impossible in your model that people could actually be reacting to flaws in your reasoning (justification, interpretation) nor that these flaws are in some ways rather basic confusions on your part.

You can tell yourself that, really, I am saying this because I can't deal with the scary truths of antirealism (or whatever) or because I am a stupid or jealous or nasty person. Or whatever. And you can continue to assume that when people point out what they consider basic flaws in your whole approach to argument and justification, that really there is nothing for you to learn directly from what they say. You can do that and sadly I expect you will do that.

Or you could consider that at a basic level you tend not to have logical connections between your assertions in key places or in general in what you are calling arguments. You could decide to learn directly from others.

Of you can keep cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:11 am
Flannel Jesus wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:46 am

As I had stated;
"This is a philosophical forum which I can make whatever claims I think is reasonable, and those who disagree can give their counter argument or simply ignore it."

You can also make whatever claim you want, and I have chosen to ignore it because it is pluck from your state of mind.

The points listed in the OP are not from the air but from the book 'Philosophy in the Flesh' with the detailed arguments in the book.
Oh it comes from a book?

Well my points i and ii come from a book as well, but it's not published yet. The current working title is "VA is a pedo: a compendium of me telling other people what they believe"

My points and your points are equal. We're both just telling other people what they believe. If you can tell me what I believe, I can tell you what you believe. I've told you what you believe, and you haven't even denied it, so...
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:39 am The points listed in the OP are not from the air but from the book 'Philosophy in the Flesh' with the detailed arguments in the book.
But
1) you haven't read that book.
2) your op has ideas that are not in that book and/or are poor interpretations by an AI.

Lakoff, for example, does not believe a number of things in your OP. Nor will important assertions in the OP be found in the book.

I mean, the dead giveaway are some of the ideas around transcendental empiricism which comes from Deleuze and is a minority position in philosophy and in the world, but is magically transformed by your OP into a major position that realists have.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:47 am
Flannel Jesus wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:39 am The points listed in the OP are not from the air but from the book 'Philosophy in the Flesh' with the detailed arguments in the book.
But
2) your op has ideas that are not in that book and/or are poor interpretations by an AI.

Lakoff, for example, does not believe a number of things in your OP. Nor will important assertions in the OP be found in the book.

I mean, the dead giveaway are some of the ideas around transcendental empiricism which comes from Deleuze and is a minority position in philosophy and in the world, but is magically transformed by your OP into a major position that realists have.
I also really doubt that book says "all people who are p-realists always believe all these ideas".

VA is so full of shit, and so deeply and remarkably stupid.
Veritas Aequitas

Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:33 am VA, you have problems with justification. You don't realize this. People react to it. Sometimes nastily. Sometimes probingly. Sometimes merely pointing out what is lacking. This has been going on for a long time.

Let me make a guess. I doubt you've been in rigorous academic settings where you could get feedback from a professor on your interpretation of texts and on making arguments (justifying). You may have logged into college courses online, but not as a student whose essays get feedback, where leaps in the argument are pointed out, where you've been given guidance in how to formulate an argument, how to use the ideas of other people in that argument and how to criticize the arguments of others.

One need not have any academic background to gain these tools.

One could get this through conversations with parents or friends who are also interested in ideas and willing to point out when your argument or interpretation is not justified. And who do these things well and/or are learning to with you.

I don't think you realize, because of this, how often your arguments are actually strings of assertions. I think this is why you need to use quotes from authors and AIs so often, because justifying is not a skill you've had help with.

You come to PN and meet abrasive responses and so you get defensive. So, the feedback you get about your arguments and lack of justification (not always but often) is dismissed by you as dependent on the psychology of the people you are interacting with.

This is a shame, because you are through this dismissal NOT learning how to improve justification and interpretation.

In this last week you put out positions that contradict your own positions at least as much as those of others, but you don't notice this.
You don't notice that when you respond to people, most of the time, much of your response is a re-assertion of your position.

In an academic setting or in discussion with interested peers or family members, this would be called out. Hey, you didn't actually respond to the point Hegel or Tony was making? Professors and friends, given that you need to respect them at least because they are friends or because your parents or you are paying good money to learn from them have suggested something. Here, they get dismissed as I sadly think (but do not assume) this will get dismissed.

It seems impossible in your model that people could actually be reacting to flaws in your reasoning (justification, interpretation) nor that these flaws are in some ways rather basic confusions on your part.

You can tell yourself that, really, I am saying this because I can't deal with the scary truths of antirealism (or whatever) or because I am a stupid or jealous or nasty person. Or whatever. And you can continue to assume that when people point out what they consider basic flaws in your whole approach to argument and justification, that really there is nothing for you to learn directly from what they say. You can do that and sadly I expect you will do that.

Or you could consider that at a basic level you tend not to have logical connections between your assertions in key places or in general in what you are calling arguments. You could decide to learn directly from others.

Of you can keep cutting off your nose to spite your face.
We are dealing with issues with a lot of nuances.
I am sure your charge is due to your ignorance rather than my oversight.

I am seriously interested to counter the above charge.
I won't leave this unchallenged.
Show me precisely where?
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:49 am
But

I also really doubt that book says "all people who are p-realists always believe all these ideas".

For starters, Lakoff is a realist, an indrect realist. Things go downhill from there in the OP.
i
And by the way Lakoff is great. No one should be turned off Lakoff because of what VA and perhaps some AI have plopped together.
One thing that is positive about AIs is that you can say: hey, wait a minute Lakoff is a realist isn't he and most of the one's I've tried will respond. Good point. You are correct (at least often when you are) and then reformulate.
But you can't treat them as authorities (which they will tell you themselves).

Then Va doesn't realize that the schema he presents in the OP causes problems for other positions he has.
There's no integration.
Veritas Aequitas

But

Your remark that others are stupid merely reflect your own stupidity.

My point is those who oppose my FSRK principles [mind-related] adopt disembodied realism [mind-independence] re point ii, iii. iv.
I am currently re-reading the book 'Philosophy in the Flesh', so I know what I am talking about.
Veritas Aequitas

Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:52 am
But

For starters, Lakoff is a realist, an indrect realist. Things go downhill from there in the OP.
i
And by the way Lakoff is great. No one should be turned off Lakoff because of what VA and perhaps some AI have plopped together.
One thing that is positive about AIs is that you can say: hey, wait a minute Lakoff is a realist isn't he and most of the one's I've tried will respond. Good point. You are correct (at least often when you are) and then reformulate.
But you can't treat them as authorities (which they will tell you themselves).

Then Va doesn't realize that the schema he presents in the OP causes problems for other positions he has.
There's no integration.
Sure Lakoff is a realist as in embodied realism but as not an disembodied reality, he also is not a philosophical realist [a defined below].
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_realism

Lakoff claim embodied realism is closer to naive realism but without the absolute mind-independent belief.

Lakoff do not agree with mind-independent reality as alluded here re Merleau Ponty;
viewtopic.php?p=696972#p696972

Kant is a empirical realism but also an anti-p-realist.
As I had stated your thinking is too shallow and are ignorant of the related nuances.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

viewtopic.php?p=697500#p697500
you don't need to acknowledge any of this publically.
Just consider it for all our sakes, especially your own.