This is how AI "Sees" our world:

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Veritas Aequitas

Re: This is how AI "Sees" our world:

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

commonsense wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:00 pm
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:45 am
Sculptor wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:59 pm What you all seem to be missing, in your Frankenstein hysteria.
chat.jpg
The video in the OP has no relevance to the title.
However, it is noted the terms "sees" and "imagine" is in "_".

Thus AI will "sees" and "imagines" within the known limitations of AI,
and as ChatGpt responded, it cannot "see" "imagine" "understand" in the human way.

Because both humans and AI are conditioned within their respective FSK, it is a mistake to conflate them and insist AI can do what human can do without qualifications to its respective FSK.

The point is AI can only "see" "imagine" "understand" as qualified to its FSK but AI could possibly perform better than humans in many ways in terms of the actual resultant outputs verifiable and agreeable by both.
I doubt that an AI can see in the way humans do, however it can identify known objects. As for understanding, there is none, but when AI composes a cat with 2 left paws, it may be imagining something that isn’t real.
Are you agreeing or disputing what I wrote above?

and as ChatGpt responded, it cannot "see" "imagine" "understand" in the human way.

As for "understand"
= perceive the intended meaning of (words, a language, or a speaker).
= interpret or view (something) in a particular way.

Give AI [the best so far] a thick digital book and will 'understand' and summarized its theme, meaning, or whatever you want in seconds.
AI's understanding [as defined] is only limited to your communication to it and the training it is limited to.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:12 am

Because both humans and AI are conditioned within their respective FSK, it is a mistake to conflate them and insist AI can do what human can do without qualifications to its respective FSK.

The point is AI can only "see" "imagine" "understand" as qualified to its FSK but AI could possibly perform better than humans in many ways in terms of the actual resultant outputs verifiable and agreeable by both.
I doubt that an AI can see in the way humans do, however it can identify known objects. As for understanding, there is none, but when AI composes a cat with 2 left paws, it may be imagining something that isn’t real.

As for "understand"

Give AI [the best so far] a thick digital book and will 'understand' and summarized its theme, meaning, or whatever you want in seconds.
AI's understanding [as defined] is only limited to your communication to it and the training it is limited to.
I agree that an AI cannot understand. I am positing that an AI can see and imagine as a human being can.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:12 am

As for "understand"

Addendum

By your definitions, I agree completely.

However, I was using see to mean recognize and imagine to mean envision.

We could quibble over semantics, but suffice it to say that I must agree with your point as presented.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

This is a very creepy set of goals, using AI, presented by a smiling host.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCZms1N8POs

And then how this is used in schools, now, already, in China.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMLsHI8 ... BhaQ%3D%3D
Trajk Logik

Post by Trajk Logik »

Wizard22 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:53 am
Sculptor wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:07 pmIt cannot undestand what it is doing in ANY sense.
AI can already "See" and "Imagine" the human world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_7mIkDE8CM
How is this any different from me telling you a fictional story and the sounds from my mouth invoke visual imagery in your mind?

If we gave AI access to cameras so that it can see the world, memory to store the images and the programming to compare real-time visual information provided by the cameras to visual images stored in memory, how is that not the same as what humans, or any animal with a brain, does?
Sculptor wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:59 pm What you all seem to be missing, in your Frankenstein hysteria.
chat.jpg

What is seeing if not by identifying known objects using visual information (information in reflected light)? What is understanding if not by responding to prompts in meaningful ways?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Trajk Logik wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:09 pm
Sculptor wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:07 pmIt cannot undestand what it is doing in ANY sense.

How is this any different from me telling you a fictional story and the sounds from my mouth invoke visual imagery in your mind?

If we gave AI access to cameras so that it can see the world, memory to store the images and the programming to compare real-time visual information provided by the cameras to visual images stored in memory, how is that not the same as what humans, or any animal with a brain, does?

What is seeing if not by identifying known objects using visual information (information in reflected light)? What is understanding if not by responding to prompts in meaningful ways?
It was an oversight (ha!) on my part not to realize that AIs can see, I also should have allowed that since humans can understand some things and not others, the same should be said of AIs, I.e.they are capable of understanding.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Trajk Logik wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:09 pm

It's not any different.

AI is mimicking human brain/neural cognition 1-for-1.

AI is learning to identify objects in the "real world" by using image correlations through the internet/google-searches.
Trajk Logik

Post by Trajk Logik »

commonsense wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:35 pm
Trajk Logik wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:09 pm How is this any different from me telling you a fictional story and the sounds from my mouth invoke visual imagery in your mind?

It was an oversight (ha!) on my part not to realize that AIs can see, I also should have allowed that since humans can understand some things and not others, the same should be said of AIs, I.e.they are capable of understanding.
Wizard22 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:27 am
It's not any different.

AI is mimicking human brain/neural cognition 1-for-1.

AI is learning to identify objects in the "real world" by using image correlations through the internet/google-searches.
Yes.

This makes me think about Searle's Chinese Room. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_room

The man in the room understands something. It understands the instructions to write this scribble when he sees that scribble. He also understands the language the instructions are written in. So it is incorrect to say that a computer does not understand anything. If not, what does it mean to understand?

The rules of symbol-use (language-use) are arbitrary. We can make up and agree on different rules to use different, or even the same, symbols to communicate with each other. This is all the Chinese Room is. The people on the outside of the room learned to use the symbols one way, and the man in the room learned to use the symbols another way. They are just different rules for using the same symbols, so you can emulate the rules in one language using different rules. Just because a computer may have different rules does not mean that it is incapable of understanding. As commonsense alluded to, even humans don't understand the rules of every language, but that does not mean that humans are incapable of understanding anything.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Trajk Logik wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:25 pmYes.

This makes me think about Searle's Chinese Room. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_room

The man in the room understands something. It understands the instructions to write this scribble when he sees that scribble. He also understands the language the instructions are written in. So it is incorrect to say that a computer does not understand anything. If not, what does it mean to understand?

The rules of symbol-use (language-use) are arbitrary. We can make up and agree on different rules to use different, or even the same, symbols to communicate with each other. This is all the Chinese Room is. The people on the outside of the room learned to use the symbols one way, and the man in the room learned to use the symbols another way. They are just different rules for using the same symbols, so you can emulate the rules in one language using different rules. Just because a computer may have different rules does not mean that it is incapable of understanding. As commonsense alluded to, even humans don't understand the rules of every language, but that does not mean that humans are incapable of understanding anything.
I interpret different languages as different colors of sunglasses: red, blue, purple, orange, yellow, green, etc. The specific language used, doesn't entirely change the transfer of information between Object ("real world") and Subject (Perception/Cognition/Integration/Memory), but it does limit visual stimulus by color or by shade. That's what language does. And so too will AI limit or de-limit its "own" cognition through its code-language. Human programmers have a large degree of control over this.

But so too do humans, have the ability to learn two, three, four, or many languages...or to create entirely new languages.

AI itself is built upon a 'new language' (computer coding through software).
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Wizard22 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:21 am

I interpret different languages as different colors of sunglasses: red, blue, purple, orange, yellow, green, etc. The specific language used, doesn't entirely change the transfer of information between Object ("real world") and Subject (Perception/Cognition/Integration/Memory), but it does limit visual stimulus by color or by shade. That's what language does. And so too will AI limit or de-limit its "own" cognition through its code-language. Human programmers have a large degree of control over this.

But so too do humans, have the ability to learn two, three, four, or many languages...or to create entirely new languages.

Excellent analogy! Truly excellent!!

One thing I’d like to add—I’ve seen a number of articles that predict that strong AI will be able to reprogram itself without human interaction. If so, AI could write its own programs. Really scary 😵‍💫
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Thank you :D
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

commonsense wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:27 pm

Excellent analogy! Truly excellent!!

One thing I’d like to add—I’ve seen a number of articles that predict that strong AI will be able to reprogram itself without human interaction. If so, AI could write its own programs. Really scary 😵‍💫
The myth that we can make a program to write a program has been around since at least 1980. The consequences of this is nothing like you think.
No AI has any purpose or understanding, what is so scary here?
It's the humans behind the software that is the scary thing, and it is highly important that we never lose sight of that, You cannot blame the drone, or the computer. Somebody has to continue to take responsibility and to be made accountable.

No AI is going to write its own program to "Take Over the World". AIs do not want, they do not desire, they have no will to live.
AIs as susepptible to pulling their plug and disconnecting their batteries.
Trajk Logik

Post by Trajk Logik »

I disagree with this analogy. My native language does not limit what I see or how I see it, only how I communicate it. A Spanish speaker does not see a different animal, gato, when I see a cat. We are only using different symbols to refer to the same thing.

If we are stuck in a particular reality based on our native language then how is it that we can learn other languages? How is it that we can translate languages? If I am wearing red glasses and you are wearing yellow, then how can we understand each other when using terms referring to different colors? Azul is blue, amarillo is yellow, etc. If I said yellow, you wouldn't know what that means, or it would be translatable to something other word, because to you, everything is yellow. To you yellow would be a synonym for "everything". To me it would be a certain color.

We are all born into the same world and we all learn a certain language the same way - by watching others use it and formally learning it in school. We all must be able to see the scribbles or hear the sounds and interpret how they are being used and then practice it ourselves. We all have the same five senses to view the world. Learning a different language does not change that.

In other instances where some slang phrase is used in one language that sounds weird or funny in another is just because you're translating the words as commonly used, not the actual meaning of the slang phrase. Words can be re-purposed in any language that differs from the common use, which shows just how arbitrary language use is. In the 70's one phrase that was commonly used is, "You dig it?". It did not literally mean to dig a hole. It meant "do you understand me?" and that is what should be translated to another language, not literally digging a hole. Words are just scribbles and sounds. It is what they refer to that is important and what is informative, which is why phrases like, "this sentence is false", is an improper use of language (not some paradox) because it doesn't refer to anything informative or useful.
Trajk Logik

Post by Trajk Logik »

commonsense wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:27 pm One thing I’d like to add—I’ve seen a number of articles that predict that strong AI will be able to reprogram itself without human interaction. If so, AI could write its own programs. Really scary 😵‍💫
Sculptor wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:45 pm The myth that we can make a program to write a program has been around since at least 1980. The consequences of this is nothing like you think.
It's the humans behind the software that is the scary thing, and it is highly important that we never lose sight of that, You cannot blame the drone, or the computer. Somebody has to continue to take responsibility and to be made accountable.

No AI is going to write its own program to "Take Over the World". AIs do not want, they do not desire, they have no will to live.
I love how people just come along and make grand statements like, "No AI has any purpose or understanding" without any grand evidence or explanation to back it up - as if we are suppose to just accept it without question.

What is purpose? What is understanding? How do you know you have both and AI has neither?

AI re-programming itself is just another way of saying it is learning. We re-program ourselves when we learn something new, or a new way to respond to a known situation. Having more options is what it means to be free. The more options, the more freedom.

Anyway, here are some examples of AI learning and I can only imagine the abilities AI can possess once quantum computing becomes much more feasible:
https://news.mit.edu/2022/ai-learn-patt ... guage-0830

https://www.science.org/content/article ... ng-advance

https://innovationatwork.ieee.org/can-a ... -ai-learn/

I mean AI can already write computer code for you, so I imagine allowing AI to then apply that same code to itself shouldn't be much more difficult.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Trajk Logik wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:13 pm
commonsense wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:27 pm One thing I’d like to add—I’ve seen a number of articles that predict that strong AI will be able to reprogram itself without human interaction. If so, AI could write its own programs. Really scary 😵‍💫
Sculptor wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:45 pm The myth that we can make a program to write a program has been around since at least 1980. The consequences of this is nothing like you think.

I love how people just come along and make grand statements like, "No AI has any purpose or understanding" without any grand evidence or explanation to back it up - as if we are suppose to just accept it without question.

What is purpose? What is understanding? How do you know you have both and AI has neither?

AI re-programming itself is just another way of saying it is learning. We re-program ourselves when we learn something new, or a new way to respond to a known situation. Having more options is what it means to be free. The more options, the more freedom.

Anyway, here are some examples of AI learning and I can only imagine the abilities AI can possess once quantum computing becomes much more feasible:
https://news.mit.edu/2022/ai-learn-patt ... guage-0830

https://www.science.org/content/article ... ng-advance

https://innovationatwork.ieee.org/can-a ... -ai-learn/

I mean AI can already write computer code for you, so I imagine allowing AI to then apply that same code to itself shouldn't be much more difficult.
I often think that the techno’s who develop programs do so just to explore what is possible, without regard for any purpose. And I wonder whether AI’s could eventually do the same, possibly stumbling across the code that would destroy humanity.