Practical philosophy

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

margii

Practical philosophy

Post by margii »

Greetings to all
My conception of philosophy is practicality.
Undoubtedly, there were and are great thinkers who, with their analysis, have allowed humanity to advance in knowledge, although relative and limited to our intellect, of nature.... but only the nature that we perceive with our senses.
I believe that philosophy must also be practical, and must allow us not only to understand what our senses allow us, but also what goes beyond the senses.

Re: Practical philosophy

Post by Age »

margii wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:58 am Greetings to all
Undoubtedly, there were and are great thinkers who, with their analysis, have allowed humanity to advance in knowledge, although relative and limited to our intellect, of nature.... but only the nature that we perceive with our senses.
I believe that philosophy must also be practical, and must allow us not only to understand what our senses allow us, but also what goes beyond the senses.
How would it be possible to understand what 'goes beyond one's senses'?
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

All practical matters are contextual. A methodology is applied to a problem-domain; and problem-domains are usually made explicit e.g what is in-scope and what is out-of-scope. What is the problem-domain you wish to practically apply philosophy to? What's in scope and what's out of scope?

What would it be like if/when the practical application of philosophy succeeds?
Mr. Civility

Post by Mr. Civility »

Well met :)

Practicality is in practice with practice very practical! Scientists and engineers have a solid grasp on that.

Ethicists too do their best to keep their grasp firm and stay employed in just about any firm. Plumbers don't need to even think about an end to their toil.

Philosophers get to choose. From the highest of high ideals to the lowest of earthly endeavors. All information is of interest to someone or another, whether seen up close in person or by the mind's eye while slumped in an armchair.

For me the choice is societal matters, namely how to keep people plenty peaceful despite dastardly disputes. So far the solution hasn't yet stumbled forth (in practice :!:).

So, what is your angle?
edmont

Post by edmont »

Okay, lets be practical.

There's a wealth of accumulated knowledge about the processes of life, some even think that consciousness is
also a process.

For various reasons our bodies deteriorate over time , oxidative stress, accumulation of free radicals, DNA damage
that can't be repaired.

There's significant computing and analytical power available to the life sciences.

How are you going to extend your life, equivalent to consciousness.
Why isn't this an innate drive of who you are ?
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

Welcome. Here's the context for your journey: https://kaiserbasileus.substack.com/p/m ... a-nutshell
margii

Post by margii »

Intellect is a psychic state, but not the only one. It is the most evolved psychic state of animal minds, which we have developed far superior to the animal level. But there are also ways to develop supra-intellectual psychic states. This is the basis for developing practical philosophy. If one limits oneself to only accepting the field of intellectuality, one will not be able to advance, for obvious reasons.