Faith and reason

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bahman

Faith and reason

Post by bahman »

Faith and reason are mutually exclusive as faith becomes meaningless if there is a reason for God. God however said in Hebrews 11:6: "And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him." This means that there is no reason for the existence of God.
Gary Childress

Re: Faith and reason

Post by Gary Childress »

bahman wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:43 pm Faith and reason are mutually exclusive as faith becomes meaningless if there is a reason for God. God however said in Hebrews 11:6: "And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him." This means that there is no reason for the existence of God.
I've spent my entire life not pleasing God in that case. I've tried going to churches and I cannot for the life of me fit in. I mean, people there are nice and welcoming and I get along with them but I don't feel like I belong there for whatever reason.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Gary Childress wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:55 pm
bahman wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:43 pm Faith and reason are mutually exclusive as faith becomes meaningless if there is a reason for God. God however said in Hebrews 11:6: "And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him." This means that there is no reason for the existence of God.
I've spent my entire life not pleasing God in that case. I've tried going to churches and I cannot for the life of me fit in. I mean, people there are nice and welcoming and I get along with them but I don't feel like I belong there for whatever reason.
Don't worry Garry. You are not missing anything if you don't have any reason to go to church.

Post by Age »

So, 'your reason' that there is, supposedly, no reason for the existence of God, is based off of, or based upon, what God, Itself, said, correct?
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Have you ever been diagnosed with autism? Judging by the things you write it sounds a lot more like that than schizophrenia.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

What a load of crap. Talk about non sequitur(s).

Faith and reason go hand in hand. God asks for faith for its existence to be revealed such that one no longer remains with faith only. I know God exists, and I know there must be a reason for its existence. Neither excludes the other.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:41 am
Have you ever been diagnosed with autism? Judging by the things you write it sounds a lot more like that than schizophrenia.
No. I've never been diagnosed with it. However, I probably have that too. But I definitely get delusional psychoses so it's either schizo-affective or bipolar with psychotic features. Autism would just be a bonus. Sometimes I think I have "borderline personality disorder" too. I'm a mess. Such is life.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:57 am

Faith and reason go hand in hand. God asks for faith for its existence to be revealed such that one no longer remains with faith only. I know God exists, and I know there must be a reason for its existence. Neither excludes the other.
I suppose it's possible that God exists (in the sense that God = that which created the universe). I think the question then becomes. Who or what is "God" and is "God" what any of us imagine it to be? There are various religions around the world and many don't seem to correspond completely with each other. If there's a God, then it almost seems as if God doesn't appear to us all the same way, tell us the same things, or perhaps wants us to be very different in our perceptions of it.

As a side note, I heard it mentioned by two different people on separate occasions at the Christian groups I was going to labeling people outside of Christianity as worshipers of "demonic" entities. I'm even less familiar with Eastern religions than I am with Mesopotamian ones. Do Eastern religions view other religions as "demonic" or worshipers of evil (or whatever "demonic" is supposed to mean)? Or is viewing alternative religious views and practices as evil maybe just a backward "redneck" or "peasant" thing? I'm sure every society has peasants.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:40 am

I suppose it's possible that God exists (in the sense that God = that which created the universe). I think the question then becomes. Who or what is "God" and is "God" what any of us imagine it to be? There are various religions around the world and many don't seem to correspond completely with each other. If there's a God, then it almost seems as if God doesn't appear to us all the same way, tell us the same things, or perhaps wants us to be very different in our perceptions of it.

As a side note, I heard it mentioned by two different people on separate occasions at the Christian groups I was going to labeling people outside of Christianity as worshipers of "demonic" entities. I'm even less familiar with Eastern religions than I am with Mesopotamian ones. Do Eastern religions view other religions as "demonic" or worshipers of evil (or whatever "demonic" is supposed to mean)? Or is viewing alternative religious views and practices as evil maybe just a backward "redneck" or "peasant" thing? I'm sure every society has peasants.
Mate, if you want to attend a Church then try a Catholic one. I have never heard such nonsense that Christians consider non-christians as worshippers of demonic entities. Honestly, to this day I have never heard one bigotted thing from a Catholic priest.

What "Church" did you attend (what denomination of "Christianity"?)

All I KNOW about God is that permeates everything within our perception of reality. I also know that this entity could fix your brain farts (schizo) like flicking a switch, with some faith of course as IT requested from the outset.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:46 am
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:40 am

Mate, if you want to attend a Church then try a Catholic one. I have never heard such nonsense that Christians consider non-christians as worshippers of demonic entities. Honestly, to this day I have never heard one bigotted thing from a Catholic priest.

What "Church" did you attend (what denomination of "Christianity"?)

All I KNOW about God is that permeates everything within our perception of reality. I also know that this entity could fix your brain farts (schizo) like flicking a switch, with some faith of course as IT requested from the outset.
I was going to some local non-denominational churches. Some of the people there are somewhat new to Christianity from what I gather. There are also people who seem very informed on the Bible who claim that anything outside of Jesus is sacrilege. I mean, the Bible itself claims that only through Jesus does one make it to heaven and that anyone who doesn't "accept" Jesus as their savior get's the pearly gates (or whatever) slammed in their face.

Most of the churches I have attended are protestant and probably lean toward a 'fundamental' teaching of the Bible, looking at it word for word and interpreting it as sacrosanct. Are you sure the God you worship is accurately outlined in the Bible? Maybe you're in connection with the 'real' God and the 'real' God is something different?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Or maybe the Bible is some kind of misinterpretation, perhaps created through generations of translation and copying errors and even some embellishments by early clerics.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:53 am I was going to some local non-denominational churches. Some of the people there are somewhat new to Christianity from what I gather. There are also people who seem very informed on the Bible who claim that anything outside of Jesus is sacrilege. I mean, the Bible itself claims that only through Jesus does one make it to heaven and that anyone who doesn't "accept" Jesus as their savior get's the pearly gates (or whatever) slammed in their face.

Most of the churches I have attended are protestant and probably lean toward a 'fundamental' teaching of the Bible, looking at it word for word and interpreting it as sacrosanct. Are you sure the God you worship is accurately outlined in the Bible? Maybe you're in connection with the 'real' God and the 'real' God is something different?
I don't worship God.
I try my best to love the entity and respect it though.

There is nothing in the Bible literally commanding us to worship God, although Jesus states it Matthew 4:10, but that is where Satan wanted worship and Jesus being angry stated only Lord your God should be worshipped.

God is God....PANREALITY perhaps panetheism is more accurate, but all I am certain of is that God has the ultimate control over ALL of our reality (including what goes on in our brain, our grey matter)
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:07 am
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:53 am I was going to some local non-denominational churches. Some of the people there are somewhat new to Christianity from what I gather. There are also people who seem very informed on the Bible who claim that anything outside of Jesus is sacrilege. I mean, the Bible itself claims that only through Jesus does one make it to heaven and that anyone who doesn't "accept" Jesus as their savior get's the pearly gates (or whatever) slammed in their face.

I don't worship God.

There is nothing in the Bible literally commanding us to worship God, although Jesus states it Matthew 4:10, but that is where Satan wanted worship and Jesus being angry stated only Lord your God should be worshipped.

God is God....PANREALITY perhaps panetheism is more accurate, but all I am certain of is that God has the ultimate control over ALL of our reality (including what goes on in our brain, our grey matter)
Hmm. If God is hooked into my brain, then I pity it.

¯\_(*_*)_/¯
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:15 am

I don't worship God.

Hmm. If God is hooked into my brain, then I pity it.

¯\_(*_*)_/¯
I have at least one interaction a day from this God entity. For example, when I posted the below to you it said "You're good." to me.

I'll reiterate: I also know that this entity could fix your brain farts (schizo) like flicking a switch, with some faith of course as IT requested from the outset.

You don't need to attend church, if you want some faith do it your own way, that would be my best advice.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

I don't worship God.

You mean that basement-dwelling nerd who is controlling the program we are characters in..