Natural music

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

LuckyR

Re: Natural music

Post by LuckyR »

Janoah wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:57 am
bahman wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:56 pm So to you, this is not music?
The sounds of an electric guitar are a “pleasant” illusion of art. The illusion is global, if they sang not with an electric guitar, but with natural musical instruments, then the number of views of the video would be tens, hundreds of times less.
An anachronistic and unoriginal opinion that you're free to have, yet is well outside mainstream thought. Outliers are important to have participate, though, so more power to you.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:24 pm
Harbal wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:21 pm
Janoah wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:57 am
The sounds of an electric guitar are a “pleasant” illusion of art. The illusion is global, if they sang not with an electric guitar, but with natural musical instruments, then the number of views of the video would be tens, hundreds of times less.
Why do you care what music other people prefer, and who do you think you are to be able to say what is and isn't "art"?
Birdsong undoubtedly inspired music in humans, but it isn't music. Go and do some study.
When I find myself caring sufficiently, I certainly will. Meanwhile, it's grab a tranny granny night down at my local, and if you don't get there early the pretty (relatively) ones have all been snapped up.

Please carry on with your game of name that chord. 🙂
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Harbal wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:32 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:24 pm
Harbal wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:21 pm

Why do you care what music other people prefer, and who do you think you are to be able to say what is and isn't "art"?
Birdsong undoubtedly inspired music in humans, but it isn't music. Go and do some study.
When I find myself caring sufficiently, I certainly will. Meanwhile, it's grab a tranny granny night down at my local, and if you don't get there early the pretty (relatively) ones have all been snapped up.

Please carry on with your game of name that chord. 🙂
An interesting study, to see how the more woke you get and the more you think you are 'trying' to be a 'nice person', the smarmier and nastier you are becoming. It's not surprising though. Be careful or you will end up turning into your friend sculptor. You comment a lot for someone who keeps pointing out that he 'doesn't care' about anything. Why don't you go back to your old avatar, just as an experiment? I'm sure that new one has put an evil hex over you.
I'm genuinely interested in this topic. I was wondering why Hendrix would only pick that one particular chord for his exercises. He was known for the complexity of the chords in his playing.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:37 pm
I'm genuinely interested in this topic. I was wondering why Hendrix would only pick that one particular chord for his exercises. He was known for the complexity of the chords in his playing.
I have no idea what he's talking about with his Hendrix exercises. There is actually a chord known as the Hendrix chord; it's a 7#9, usually E7#9. It sounds quite dissonant because the #9 clashes with the third. I don't know how complex his chords were, but he used to embellish them a lot with "hammer ons" and "pull offs"; I don't know the proper musical term. I think he spent his earlier career playing jazz, and those folks are notorious for weird and wonderful chords.
vegetariantaxidermy

Harbal wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:17 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:37 pm
I have no idea what he's talking about with his Hendrix exercises. There is actually a chord known as the Hendrix chord; it's a 7#9, usually E7#9. It sounds quite dissonant because the #9 clashes with the third. I don't know how complex his chords were, but he used to embellish them a lot with "hammer ons" and "pull offs"; I don't know the proper musical term. I think he spent his earlier career playing jazz, and those folks are notorious for weird and wonderful chords.
I have no idea what 'hammer ons' and 'pull offs' are. I can hazard a guess though. Rock aficianodos really know their chords. They seem to be obsessed with them and their names. I bet Jimi Hendrix just played those notes together and liked the sound of them :D
Janoah

Post by Janoah »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:39 pm D# F# and A#
More correctly, D# G# and A#. This is known, three chords, tonic, subdominant and dominant - 'all tonal music can be reduced to them, no matter how complex and intricate the harmonic relationships may be'.
But this topic is so that you can put on the natural music you like.
I understand that in our time this is difficult, because broadcast media is completely filled with electronic music (except for classical music).
I will be grateful to those who will put here the natural music they like, amateur and professional, special respect to those who will put here the music in their own performance.
vegetariantaxidermy

Janoah wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:45 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:21 am It sounds like just a few very basic chord progressions in E minor repeated over and over. Nothing wrong with that. Yes. It's music.
By the way, for Hendrix’s physical exercises, - a maximum of one chord was required, - D-sharp minor, but let’s not talk about sad things.
You said here the D sharp minor chord. The notes are D# F# and A#.
Janoah

Post by Janoah »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:14 am
You said here the D sharp minor chord. The notes are D# F# and A#.
You're right, for one triad this is true!
(I meant that for any melody in a given key three chords are enough).
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Janoah wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:30 pm
More correctly, D# G# and A#. This is known, three chords, tonic, subdominant and dominant - 'all tonal music can be reduced to them, no matter how complex and intricate the harmonic relationships may be'.
I understand that in our time this is difficult, because broadcast media is completely filled with electronic music (except for classical music).
I will be grateful to those who will put here the natural music they like, amateur and professional, special respect to those who will put here the music in their own performance.
What is particularly natural about acoustic instruments; where in nature would you expect to find a violin? And if you discount any music that has been electronically processed, that gets rid of anything that's been recorded or broadcast.
Janoah

Post by Janoah »

Harbal wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:55 pm
What is particularly natural about acoustic instruments; where in nature would you expect to find a violin? And if you discount any music that has been electronically processed, that gets rid of anything that's been recorded or broadcast.
This topic is more for music samples, not theoretical proofs. I suggest that you put on something with the music of natural musical instruments that you like, and the theoretical proof can be discussed separately.
vegetariantaxidermy

Yes. They are all tools used to make sound waves to create music. I don't see what difference it makes if it's an acoustic instrument or an electric one.
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Janoah wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:31 pm
This topic is more for music samples, not theoretical proofs. I suggest that you put on something with the music of natural musical instruments that you like, and the theoretical proof can be discussed separately.
And I suggest that you stop suggesting that only the music you happen to like is "proper" music.
vegetariantaxidermy

where in nature would you expect to find a violin?
There's a leafophone which consists of a leaf. Not a violin though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8R_AD_ ... afophonist
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:53 pm
where in nature would you expect to find a violin?
There's a leafophone which consists of a leaf. Not a violin though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8R_AD_ ... afophonist
This guy has obviously put more time and effort into practicing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mZ11pA1oKE
Janoah

Post by Janoah »

Well, it's a start!