One cannot make a perfect theory from an imperfect measurement

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bahman

One cannot make a perfect theory from an imperfect measurement

Post by bahman »

We know that physical measurements are not perfect in the sense that they are not precise to the last digit. Therefore, one cannot construct a perfect theory from such a measurement.
Impenitent

Re: One cannot make a perfect theory from an imperfect measurement

Post by Impenitent »

Protagoras returns

-Imp
bahman

Post by bahman »

Impenitent wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:29 pm Protagoras returns

-Imp
Yes, physics is useful but it cannot tell anything about the ultimate truth about reality.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

bahman wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:22 pm We know that physical measurements are not perfect in the sense that they are not precise to the last digit. Therefore, one cannot construct a perfect theory from such a measurement.
Words are not perfect. Their scope and meaning are not perfect. Sentences (grammar) is not perfect. They elicit experiences that are not exactly the same in different brains. Therefore, bahman's argument is not perfect.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Iwannaplato wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:12 pm
bahman wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:22 pm We know that physical measurements are not perfect in the sense that they are not precise to the last digit. Therefore, one cannot construct a perfect theory from such a measurement.
Words are not perfect. Their scope and meaning are not perfect. Sentences (grammar) is not perfect. They elicit experiences that are not exactly the same in different brains. Therefore, bahman's argument is not perfect.
My argument is valid.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Tape measures and rulers know nothing of reality.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

bahman wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:25 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:12 pm
My argument is valid.
OK, if you don't want to interact with what I wrote, don't. If you're satisfied essentially repeating yourself. Fine.

Post by Age »

bahman wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:54 pm

-Imp
Yes, physics is useful but it cannot tell anything about the ultimate truth about reality.
How do you, supposedly, KNOW?

How is it that you KNOW that there is a so-called 'ultimate truth about reality', and, that so-called 'physics' can NOT tell you absolutely ANY 'thing' about 'that reality'?

How did you find out about 'this alleged reality' and have that current knowledge ABOUT 'it' if 'physics' did NOT tell you absolutely ANY 'thing' ABOUT 'it'?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Dontaskme wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:52 pm
Tape measures and rulers know nothing of reality.
What?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Iwannaplato wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:54 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:12 pm Words are not perfect. Their scope and meaning are not perfect. Sentences (grammar) is not perfect. They elicit experiences that are not exactly the same in different brains. Therefore, bahman's argument is not perfect.
My argument is valid.
OK, if you don't want to interact with what I wrote, don't. If you're satisfied essentially repeating yourself. Fine.
What do you think is wrong with my argument?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Age wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:21 pm

-Imp
How do you, supposedly, KNOW?

How is it that you KNOW that there is a so-called 'ultimate truth about reality', and, that so-called 'physics' can NOT tell you absolutely ANY 'thing' about 'that reality'?

How did you find out about 'this alleged reality' and have that current knowledge ABOUT 'it' if 'physics' did NOT tell you absolutely ANY 'thing' ABOUT 'it'?
Please read OP.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

bahman wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:55 am
My argument is valid.
Well one issue I was raising was 'Why does a theory have to be perfect?" I raised that obliquely, so I get that that might have been missed. Now I've made it explicit. But if measurements not being utterly perfect is a problem and rules out
telling
anything about the ultimate truth about reality.
then either the OP is not telling us anything about the ultimate truth about reality
or the OP is wrong.
Language is not utterly precise and yet it seems that you frequently tell us your sense of the ultimate truth about reality. See, my previous post for why I think language is not utterly precise, perhaps especially at the abstract level of much of your positions as presented here.

So, how can they manage to tell us anything about the ultimate truth about reality?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Iwannaplato wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:44 am
bahman wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:55 am
Well one issue I was raising was 'Why does a theory have to be perfect?"
Because there will be a deviation from what the theory predicts if you wait long enough or if you perform experiments on different scales.
Iwannaplato wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:44 am I raised that obliquely, so I get that that might have been missed. Now I've made it explicit. But if measurements not being utterly perfect is a problem and rules out telling
anything about the ultimate truth about reality.
Yes, there is a problem if the measurement is not perfect. The problem is that the theory that is made based on such a measurement is just an approximation. So again, one can observe a deviation from what the theory predicts if one waits long enough or if one performs an experiment on different scales.
Iwannaplato wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:44 am then either the OP is not telling us anything about the ultimate truth about reality or the OP is wrong.
The OP is telling a true statement about how a theory is linked to the experiment. Of course, one cannot expect to find a perfect theory unless one can make the perfect experiment. Until then, the result of the experiment is just an approximation hence the theory is an approximation as well.
Iwannaplato wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:44 am Language is not utterly precise and yet it seems that you frequently tell us your sense of the ultimate truth about reality.

See, my previous post for why I think language is not utterly precise, perhaps especially at the abstract level of much of your positions as presented here.

So, how can they manage to tell us anything about the ultimate truth about reality?
We can communicate well and make the argument precise enough through the discussion.
Walker

Post by Walker »

-Imp
Would you say that the thread title is true because ultimate truth about reality applies to all situations, while physics (and this sentence) applies to a specific situation rather than all situations.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Walker wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:00 pm

-Imp
Would you say that the thread title is true because ultimate truth about reality applies to all situations, while physics (and this sentence) applies to a specific situation rather than all situations.
Yes.