Death and meaning of life

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Zarathustra

Re: Death and meaning of life

Post by Zarathustra »

commonsense wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:15 pm
Zarathustra wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:42 pm
I don't ponder at all. I just like to hear on what other people think about these things.
By “pondering” I might more accurately have said “obsessing”, as can be the case with committed inquiry into any classical philosophical question.
"Obsessing" would be clearly a wrong term. Who would get obsessed with philosophical topics?
It is interesting to have discussions about them if anyone else is also interested in the topic and have anything to say about them.
If there are new points to learn about them, it would be bonus. But obsession? What for?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Zarathustra wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:34 pm
"Obsessing" would be clearly a wrong term. Who would get obsessed with philosophical topics?
Buddha did before he was Buddha. Before he was Buddha he sat down under the bodi tree and said this is as far I go until I know, and he didn’t know what he didn’t know. He was willing to die there because knowing was the only thing that would move him. His obsession had taken him that far and he had learned that seeking wouldn’t find the knowing that he needed, so he stopped seeking, and he stopped all that supported seeking. Since seeking had been everything, he stopped doing everything else. On top of everything else that he found while seeking, this was the last thing he did. It was the straw that finished off his ignorance. After that, he was someone else. He was Buddha and walked about striking up conversations.

His theme song would have been All Or Nothing At All, had it been written at his time in the history of the world.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Zarathustra wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:42 pm
I don't ponder at all. I just like to hear on what other people think about these things.
By “pondering” I might more accurately have said “obsessing”, as can be the case with committed inquiry into any classical philosophical question.
It is interesting to have discussions about them if anyone else is also interested in the topic and have anything to say about them.
If there are new points to learn about them, it would be bonus. But obsession? What for?
Something that keeps you up at night to think about…
Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra »

Walker wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:20 pm
Buddha did before he was Buddha. Before he was Buddha he sat down under the bodi tree and said this is as far I go until I know, and he didn’t know what he didn’t know. He was willing to die there because knowing was the only thing that would move him. His obsession had taken him that far and he had learned that seeking wouldn’t find the knowing that he needed, so he stopped seeking, and he stopped all that supported seeking. Since seeking had been everything, he stopped doing everything else. On top of everything else that he found while seeking, this was the last thing he did. It was the straw that finished off his ignorance. After that, he was someone else. He was Buddha and walked about striking up conversations.

His theme song would have been All Or Nothing At All, had it been written at his time in the history of the world.
Suppose he was a peculiar chap. Maybe a bit bored with life too.
I have too much to do on other things, and have no time for obsessions or even ponderings.
If I could afford time to do some reading, then I am happy, and grateful. :)
Last edited by Zarathustra on Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra »

commonsense wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:13 pm

I get too tired at night, and just fall asleep.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Zarathustra wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:09 am

Not a true philosopher then, are you?
Walker

Post by Walker »

The world needs tourists too, proven by their existence.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Zarathustra wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:58 pm
Sculptor wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:06 am
Zarathustra wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:20 pm

How can death happen without living beings? And bear in mind death is always a living being's death.
You cannot talk about death separate from life i.e. life of someone.
So you were talking wholelotta nonsense.
You are confused.
Read back or not. But you just have no idea what I said.
I gave you the most accurate comments on what you said.
You were only stating the points from 3rd party perspective only, which is one sided.
You are not a worthy interlocutor
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Walker wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:42 am The world needs tourists too, proven by their existence.
Yeah all those necessary things that existed which were obviously needed:
Hitler
Ghengis Khan
Jeff Epstein
The King of England
Jeff Dhamer; Peter Sutcliffe and a long list of other killers.
Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra »

commonsense wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:32 am
Zarathustra wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:09 am

Not a true philosopher then, are you?
A true philosopher doesn't sleep at night?
Never heard of that.
Zarathustra

Post by Zarathustra »

Sculptor wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:18 pm
Sculptor wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:06 am

You are confused.
Read back or not. But you just have no idea what I said.
You were only stating the points from 3rd party perspective only, which is one sided.
I am a speculative philosopher.
You are a narrow visioned, impatient and biased interlocutor.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Sculptor wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:21 pm
Walker wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:42 am The world needs tourists too, proven by their existence.
That something happened, is the proof that it needed to happen.
This is elementary, Watson.
It's Ipso facto, Poncho.

Whether or not what needed to happen falls within a moral spectrum held by one or many, and how it is judged, is a separate issue as to whether or not it had to happen, although that will play a factor in the personal machinations, commonly called choice, of what to do next in similar situations.

This is obvious. Where it ventures into interesting is the What If Game. That game is played after the fact, after action has defined what had to be done. It is played with self-doubt, when applied personally. When looking at events one simply says, what if one simple thing had changed. For example, what if Jeffery Dahmer had not eaten the father of the next Hitler ... not saying that he did.

:shock:

I will anticipate the cheap shot. Does Walker think those atrocities had to happen?

Answer: Irrelvant. Ipso Facto thinks they had to happen, which is the objective view, the Eyes of God, so to speak.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Zarathustra wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:43 am
Sculptor wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:18 pm

I am a speculative philosopher.
You are a narrow visioned, impatient and biased interlocutor.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Walker wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:27 am
It's Ipso facto, Poncho.
No.
"Need" implies a needer.
You are talking bollocks.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:51 am
Walker wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:27 am

It's Ipso facto, Poncho.
No.
"Need" implies a needer.
You are talking bollocks.
Remember, this is big picture stuff. The needer could be the whole planet, since everything is part cause of everything else, in varying degrees.

(continued)

- For example, the southern US border is wide open, as everyone knows by now. The invasion has increased every day, even on the days folks aren’t thinking about it or talking about it.
- It's gettin' really bad.
- It's something for citizens to think about when standing in security lines.

- Did this need to happen?
- Ipso Facto says, “Yes, it did.”

- Now, figure how/why it did happen and the next thing you know, you are objectively educating yourself instead of living in dreamland by ignoring this or that, in order to follow The Party line, in order to run with the herd.