Craig's Kalam Cosmological Argument Debunked

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Veritas Aequitas

Craig's Kalam Cosmological Argument Debunked

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

VVilliam wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:17 am https://www.reasonablefaith.org/writing ... l-argument:

Q: Does this cosmology require a supernatural/unnatural/non-physical cause?
The Kalam or any argument for God need to be dealt within a meta- and total basis.

Kant claimed it is impossible to prove the existence of God as real within ALL arguments for God which covered every sphere of possibilities, i.e.
1. Physical-Theological Arguments - cover the whole empirical world of experience,
2. Cosmological Argument - cover the WHOLE Universe.
3. Ontological Argument - cover the WHOLE of Existence, all existence, i.e. God's existence.
Once we cover all possibilities and prove all the arguments for God are false, there is no more room for theists to prove their God exists are real.

All the above arguments for God have a generic structure, they are not sound and infested with fallacies.
The Physical-Theo and Cosmological Arguments has the ontological deceptively hidden within.

In the article;
Craig modified Ghazali's P1 as:
1.. If the universe began to exist, then the universe has a cause of its beginning.
2. The universe [a being] began to exist.
3. Therefore, the universe has a cause of its beginning
4. which is An Uncaused First Cause as
5. A Personal Being with Freedom of the Will -a Personal Creator

P1.. If the universe began to exist, then the universe has a cause of its beginning.
Craig insisted P1 is self-evident.
This is within Kant's Physical-Theological Argument
But re Hume, it is not.
Hume argued causation is man-made [subjective], so, it follows Craig conclusion is also man-made.

Craig proposed to justify the above with 2 philosophical arguments and 2 scientific arguments. i.e.
  • 1. Philosophical Argument - Ghazali
    1a First Philosophical Arg -no actual infinite No.
    1b Second Philosophical Arg – no series actual infinite
    2. Scientific Confirmation
    2a First Scientific Confirmation – Big Bang
    ......Sub-Atomic-Physics
    2b Second Scientific Confirm – 2nd Law Thermodynamics
1. Philosophical Argument - Ghazali
There are two senses of reality,
1. Philosophical Realism sense -[objective mind-independent reality]
2. ANTI-Philosophical_Realism -[objective human related FSK reality]

I have proven 1 is grounded on an illusion.
Why Philosophical Realism is Illusory
viewtopic.php?t=40167
Thus whatever is claimed to be finite in the ultimate sense is illusory.
So, P2a and P2b is false.

There are two views to Science, i.e.
1. Scientific Realism [objective mind-independent reality]
2. Scientific Anti-Realism [objective human related FSK reality]

Scientific Realism is conditioned upon Philosophical Realism which as a above is grounded on an illusion.
Thus Craig's Scientific Confirmations are totally useless.

So Craigs' Cosmological Argument leading from the empirical and experience re Physical-theological is false.

Here the argument take a big leap from the empirical to the transcendent [ontological] which is fallacious. Per ChatGpt [with reservations]
ChatGpt wrote:In the context of the cosmological argument, which often involves reasoning from contingent or empirical phenomena to a necessary or transcendent cause (God), Kant argued that there is a fallacy in assuming that the concepts we apply to the empirical world can be seamlessly extended to the transcendent realm.

The fallacy involved here is not precisely named by Kant, but it is associated with what he considered to be a confusion or misuse of concepts in the transition from the empirical to the transcendent. It's not specifically an equivocation, where a term is used with multiple meanings, but rather a kind of error in trying to apply categories and concepts derived from our experience of the world to something beyond that experience.

Kant's main point was that our cognitive faculties, which are adapted to making sense of the empirical world, cannot legitimately be extended to make claims about transcendent realities. In other words, he believed that certain arguments for God's existence were flawed because they incorrectly applied empirical concepts beyond their legitimate scope.

The fallacy in question, it is associated with his broader critique of attempting to reason about transcendent realities based on empirical concepts.
Here's Bard's [with reservation] Version:
Bard wrote:You are correct in stating that Kant argued against the cosmological argument for God's existence and that it is fallacious to move from the empirical to the transcendent. However, the specific fallacy he identified is not equivocation but rather the fallacy of four terms.

Here's a breakdown:

1. Kant's Argument:
Kant argued that the cosmological argument commits the fallacy of four terms because it uses different meanings for the same terms in its premises and conclusion. Here's the typical format of the cosmological argument:

Premise 1: Everything that begins to exist has a cause.
Premise 2: The universe began to exist.
Conclusion: Therefore, the universe has a cause.

Kant's criticism focuses on the term "cause." In premise 1, "cause" refers to an observable phenomenon within our experience of the world. We can see and understand how things cause other things in the physical world. However, in the conclusion, "cause" refers to the transcendent God, which is beyond our experience and understanding. This shift in meaning is what makes the argument fallacious.

2. Fallacy of Four Terms:
The fallacy of four terms occurs when an argument uses a term in two different senses in its premises and conclusion. This creates a hidden ambiguity that makes the argument seem valid when it is not. In the cosmological argument, the term "cause" is used in two different senses:

Empirical sense: A cause within the natural world that can be observed and understood.
Transcendental sense: The transcendent God who is beyond our experience and understanding.
This ambiguity allows the argument to appear valid while actually being flawed.

3. Equivocation:
While not the specific fallacy identified by Kant, equivocation can also be relevant to the cosmological argument. Equivocation occurs when a word or phrase is used with two different, unrelated meanings in the same argument. This can create confusion and mislead the audience.

In the cosmological argument, the term "beginning to exist" could potentially be interpreted in equivocal ways. For example, one might interpret it as referring to the Big Bang, while another might interpret it as referring to the creation of the universe ex nihilo (out of nothing). This difference in interpretation could lead to different conclusions about the argument's validity.

4. Conclusion:
Kant's argument against the cosmological argument is significant because it challenges the validity of one of the traditional arguments for God's existence. While the fallacy of four terms is the specific logical flaw he identified, equivocation can also be relevant in understanding the argument's weaknesses.
The debate surrounding the cosmological argument and Kant's critiques continues to be a central topic in philosophy and theology.
The above is merely presented in summary points, there are more supporting details.

Whilst God is ultimately illusory, it is still a very necessary useful illusion that is adapted via evolution.

Discuss?? View??
Last edited by Veritas Aequitas on Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Veritas Aequitas

Re: Craig's Kalam Cosmological Argument Debunked

Notes:

VVilliam discuss with ChatGpt on the Kalam Argument.
viewtopic.php?p=685833#p685833
Heading: Navigating the Meaning of "The Universe" in the Kalam Cosmological Argument: A Discussion on Matter, Energy, and Temporality

GPT: Summary: The interaction delves into a discussion prompted by the Kalam cosmological argument's definition of "universe." The responder critically examines the assumption that "the universe" exclusively refers to spatio-temporal matter/energy.

They assert that current scientific understanding doesn't definitively establish the absolute beginning of matter and energy and propose a nuanced viewpoint. The responder suggests that the universe may include eternal aspects, challenging the conventional idea of spatio-temporal matter/energy. The response also highlights the need for updating the Kalam's meaning of "The Universe" in light of current knowledge.
VVilliam: In that, I find it unnecessary (do not agree) that the additional phrasing you are using (scientific FSK et al) with "The Universe" is appropriate as this implies the existence of a non-scientific (supernatural) Universe.
Perhaps we can agree with discussing The Universe without any such unnecessary attachments?

My response to the above:
  • My fundamental principle is;
    What is real, factual, true, knowledge and objective is conditioned upon a specific human-based FSR [realization]-FSK [knowledge].

If we do not bring reality as conditioned, then we are opening it to the possibility of the UNCONDITIONED, opening up a pandora-box where anything goes, giving rise to speculative metaphysical entities [God], and generating dilemmas & antimonies.
    Therefrom it is a 'till the cows come home' affair.
For detail see:
viewtopic.php?p=686474#p686474
Last edited by Veritas Aequitas on Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Veritas Aequitas

Notes:
VVilliam wrote:
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:51 am Here is how we can expose the fallacy:

1.. If the [scientific] universe began to exist, then the [scientific] universe has a [scientific] cause of its [scientific] beginning.
2. The [scientific] universe began to exist [scientifically] .
3. Therefore, the [scientific] universe has a cause of its [scientific] beginning
4. which is an Uncaused First Cause [unscientific] as
5. A Personal Being [unscientific] with [unscientific]Freedom of the Will -a [unscientific]Personal Creator

the .............. line represent that deceptive big leap from the scientific FSK into the theological FSK of la la land.
Referring to the universe as "the scientific universe" allows one to infer that there is at least one other universe which is not scientific. Generally that is identified as "supernatural".

So the first premise is unnecessary worded.

The idea appears to be that there has to be agreement of what is meant by "The Universe"
I had argued elsewhere,
What is real, true, knowledge and objective must be conditioned upon a human-based FSK of which the scientific FSK is the most real, objective and credible at present.
There are no other FSKs which are more credible than the present scientific FSK.
Can you think of any otherwise.

If there is a least one other universe, then there must be an infinite number of universes.
But where are they, they can only be a speculation within some speculative-supernatural-FSKs which cannot be more real than the existing human-based scientific FSK.
Relative such supernatural FSK would be at the other extreme of realness and objective in contrast to the scientific FSK as the standard.

The Universe as generally accepted;
  • The universe is ALL of space and time[a] and their contents.[10] It comprises ALL of existence, any fundamental interaction, physical process and physical constant, and therefore all forms of energy and matter, and the structures they form, from sub-atomic particles to entire galaxies.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universe
Because the universe is defined as ALL there is, there cannot be another 'all there is'.
So the scientific universe is the only universe which can be accepted without question and is evident.
I believe Craig agreed P1 implied the scientific universe [got to double check].

Thus P1 above has to be
1.. If the [scientific] universe began to exist, then the [scientific] universe has a [scientific] cause of its [scientific] beginning.

If anyone insist there are other universes which are supernatural and are not scientific then they will have to prove it is possible for them to exists at least scientifically for them to be real [FSK-based].
Last edited by Veritas Aequitas on Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
seeds

Post by seeds »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:46 am Notes: KIV
I know you've posted this twice in a row already, but I just felt it needed repeating for those who may have missed its relevance.
_______
Atla

Post by Atla »

Notes: KIV
seeds

Post by seeds »

Atla wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:30 pmNotes: KIV
Don't forget to properly cite the author, lest someone accuses you of plagiarism.
_______
seeds

Post by seeds »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:37 am Whilst God is ultimately illusory, it is still a very necessary useful illusion that is adapted via evolution.
Yes, evolution that took place in an unfathomably ordered and stable setting that allegedly, by sheer accident, was miraculously equipped with every possible ingredient necessary to not only awaken innumerable lifeforms into existence,...

...but also to maintain this awakening process billions of years into the future.

Only an idiot would assume that the unthinkable order implicit in just this one simple scene...

...is a product of chance.
_______
Atla

Post by Atla »

seeds

Post by seeds »

Atla wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:27 pmNotes: KIV
You nasty little plagiarizer!!!...

...No, you!...

...No, you!...

...No, you!

:P

I've been trying to figure out what "KIV" stands for?

Here are a few guesses...

Kantian Intestinal Vomit
Kids Invent Vasectomies
Krazy Investment Voucher
Karma Is Vicious
Kinsington International Venue
Kimchi Is Vexatious
Kant's Interior Vestibule
King Ivan the V (fictional character)
Karaoke Is Ventriloquism

I could go on, but I'm starting to feel a little foolish. :oops:

Nah, I blame VA for causing this outbreak of silliness.
_______
Atla

Post by Atla »

seeds wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:40 pm
Atla wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:27 pmNotes: KIV
You nasty little plagiarizer!!!...

...No, you!...

...No, you!...

...No, you!

:P

I've been trying to figure out what "KIV" stands for?

Here are a few guesses...

Kantian Intestinal Vomit
Kids Invent Vasectomies
Krazy Investment Voucher
Karma Is Vicious
Kinsington International Venue
Kimchi Is Vexatious
Kant's Interior Vestibule
King Ivan the V (fictional character)
Karaoke Is Ventriloquism

I could go on, but I'm starting to feel a little foolish. :oops:

Nah, I blame VA for causing this outbreak of silliness.
_______
:D
Veritas Aequitas

seeds wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:06 pm
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:46 am Notes: KIV
I know you've posted this twice in a row already, but I just felt it needed repeating for those who may have missed its relevance.
_______
You are stooping very low when you raised this frivolous point.

I did it because I anticipated there will a lot of notes [as references] I will be adding later.
I [many as well] dread lost posts.
I don't want to add notes in later posts especially if this thread turn to be a dumpster [as it is seeming going to be] and the notes are needles in a haystack.
Last edited by Veritas Aequitas on Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Veritas Aequitas

seeds wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:19 pm
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:37 am Whilst God is ultimately illusory, it is still a very necessary useful illusion that is adapted via evolution.
Yes, evolution that took place in an unfathomably ordered and stable setting that allegedly, by sheer accident, was miraculously equipped with every possible ingredient necessary to not only awaken innumerable lifeforms into existence,...

...but also to maintain this awakening process billions of years into the future.

Only an idiot would assume that the unthinkable order implicit in just this one simple scene...

...is a product of chance.
_______
You are an idiot [of low intelligence] here for being ignorant you are entrapped into an illusion via evolution.

Did you ever think reflectively why that evening setting sun in the picture is larger than the sun at noon?
"The 'moon illusion' is one of the oldest known psychological phenomena; records of it go back to ancient China and Egypt. It may be the most ancient scientific puzzle that is still unexplained.

Why do the moon and the sun look so much larger near the horizon than they do high up in the sky? I have heard this called the "moon illusion" or the "Problem of Luna Mendex." Is it an illusion of the eye?

"My own view is that the moon illusion is linked to the mechanism that produces everyday size-distance perception, a genetically determined brain process that allows us to translate the planar images that fall on the retina into a view of rigid objects moving in space. I believe the moon illusion results from what happens when the mechanism operates in an unusual situation. In normal perception, when rigid objects move in depth (distance), the angular size of the light image stimulating our eyes grows or shrinks. The brain automatically translates this changing stimulation back into the perception of rigid objects whose position in depth is changing.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... and-the-s/
The awe of beauty of the above illusory scenery is man-made not God-made.

I don't think other animals see a different size moon or sun at dawn or sunset from that at noon.

You are an idiot in thinkin others are idiot.

Post by Age »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:37 am
VVilliam wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:17 am https://www.reasonablefaith.org/writing ... l-argument:

Q: Does this cosmology require a supernatural/unnatural/non-physical cause?
The Kalam or any argument for God need to be dealt within a meta- and total basis.

Kant claimed it is impossible to prove the existence of God as real within ALL arguments for God which covered every sphere of possibilities, i.e.
1. Physical-Theological Arguments - cover the whole empirical world of experience,
2. Cosmological Argument - cover the WHOLE Universe.
3. Ontological Argument - cover the WHOLE of Existence, all existence, i.e. God's existence.
Once we cover all possibilities and prove all the arguments for God are false, there is no more room for theists to prove their God exists are real.

All the above arguments for God have a generic structure, they are not sound and infested with fallacies.
The Physical-Theo and Cosmological Arguments has the ontological deceptively hidden within.

In the article;
1.. If the universe began to exist, then the universe has a cause of its beginning.
BUT the Universe did NOT begin to exist.

As has ALREADY BEEN PROVED True.

So, the rest IS MOOT.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:37 am 3. Therefore, the universe has a cause of its beginning

P1.. If the universe began to exist, then the universe has a cause of its beginning.
Craig insisted P1 is self-evident.
This is within Kant's Physical-Theological Argument
But re Hume, it is not.
Hume argued causation is man-made [subjective], so, it follows Craig conclusion is also man-made.

Craig proposed to justify the above with 2 philosophical arguments and 2 scientific arguments. i.e.
  • 1. Philosophical Argument - Ghazali
    1a First Philosophical Arg -no actual infinite No.
    1b Second Philosophical Arg – no series actual infinite
    2a First Scientific Confirmation – Big Bang
    ......Sub-Atomic-Physics
    2b Second Scientific Confirm – 2nd Law Thermodynamics
1. Philosophical Argument - Ghazali
There are two senses of reality,
1. Philosophical Realism sense -[objective mind-independent reality]
2. ANTI-Philosophical_Realism -[objective human related FSK reality]

I have proven 1 is grounded on an illusion.
Why Philosophical Realism is Illusory
viewtopic.php?t=40167
Thus whatever is claimed to be finite in the ultimate sense is illusory.
So, P2a and P2b is false.

There are two views to Science, i.e.
1. Scientific Realism [objective mind-independent reality]
2. Scientific Anti-Realism [objective human related FSK reality]

Scientific Realism is conditioned upon Philosophical Realism which as a above is grounded on an illusion.
Thus Craig's Scientific Confirmations are totally useless.

So Craigs' Cosmological Argument leading from the empirical and experience re Physical-theological is false.

Here the argument take a big leap from the empirical to the transcendent [ontological] which is fallacious. Per ChatGpt [with reservations]
ChatGpt wrote:In the context of the cosmological argument, which often involves reasoning from contingent or empirical phenomena to a necessary or transcendent cause (God), Kant argued that there is a fallacy in assuming that the concepts we apply to the empirical world can be seamlessly extended to the transcendent realm.

The fallacy involved here is not precisely named by Kant, but it is associated with what he considered to be a confusion or misuse of concepts in the transition from the empirical to the transcendent. It's not specifically an equivocation, where a term is used with multiple meanings, but rather a kind of error in trying to apply categories and concepts derived from our experience of the world to something beyond that experience.

Kant's main point was that our cognitive faculties, which are adapted to making sense of the empirical world, cannot legitimately be extended to make claims about transcendent realities. In other words, he believed that certain arguments for God's existence were flawed because they incorrectly applied empirical concepts beyond their legitimate scope.

The fallacy in question, it is associated with his broader critique of attempting to reason about transcendent realities based on empirical concepts.
Here's Bard's [with reservation] Version:
Bard wrote:You are correct in stating that Kant argued against the cosmological argument for God's existence and that it is fallacious to move from the empirical to the transcendent. However, the specific fallacy he identified is not equivocation but rather the fallacy of four terms.

Here's a breakdown:

1. Kant's Argument:
Kant argued that the cosmological argument commits the fallacy of four terms because it uses different meanings for the same terms in its premises and conclusion. Here's the typical format of the cosmological argument:

Premise 1: Everything that begins to exist has a cause.
Premise 2: The universe began to exist.
Conclusion: Therefore, the universe has a cause.

Kant's criticism focuses on the term "cause." In premise 1, "cause" refers to an observable phenomenon within our experience of the world. We can see and understand how things cause other things in the physical world. However, in the conclusion, "cause" refers to the transcendent God, which is beyond our experience and understanding. This shift in meaning is what makes the argument fallacious.

2. Fallacy of Four Terms:
The fallacy of four terms occurs when an argument uses a term in two different senses in its premises and conclusion. This creates a hidden ambiguity that makes the argument seem valid when it is not. In the cosmological argument, the term "cause" is used in two different senses:

Empirical sense: A cause within the natural world that can be observed and understood.
Transcendental sense: The transcendent God who is beyond our experience and understanding.
This ambiguity allows the argument to appear valid while actually being flawed.

3. Equivocation:
While not the specific fallacy identified by Kant, equivocation can also be relevant to the cosmological argument. Equivocation occurs when a word or phrase is used with two different, unrelated meanings in the same argument. This can create confusion and mislead the audience.

In the cosmological argument, the term "beginning to exist" could potentially be interpreted in equivocal ways. For example, one might interpret it as referring to the Big Bang, while another might interpret it as referring to the creation of the universe ex nihilo (out of nothing). This difference in interpretation could lead to different conclusions about the argument's validity.

4. Conclusion:
Kant's argument against the cosmological argument is significant because it challenges the validity of one of the traditional arguments for God's existence. While the fallacy of four terms is the specific logical flaw he identified, equivocation can also be relevant in understanding the argument's weaknesses.
The debate surrounding the cosmological argument and Kant's critiques continues to be a central topic in philosophy and theology.
The above is merely presented in summary points, there are more supporting details.

Whilst God is ultimately illusory, it is still a very necessary useful illusion that is adapted via evolution.

Discuss?? View??
Atla

Post by Atla »

VVilliam

Post by VVilliam »

Discuss?? View??
Assuming you are talking about an uncaused mind when you reference "God", why is it that you think mind is illusionary?