Defining a "Normal Mind"

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Re: Defining a "Normal Mind"

Post by Age »

Walker wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:04 pm
Age wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:42 am There is NO such 'thing' as a 'human mind' NOR many 'minds'.

Also, the word 'normal', without an agreed upon classification or definition here, is far to subjective to be of ANY REAL USE here.
I agree. Each living thing has access to the same mind, however the extent of the access varies amongst each living thing, and there are identifiable causes that limit access.
What are those identifiable causes, which limit access to the same Mind?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Age wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:43 am
Nature and corruption.

Nature limits what is accessible, and how much is accessible.
Corruption of natural capacity also limits what is accessible.

Post by Age »

Walker wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:21 pm
Age wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:43 am
Nature and corruption.

Nature limits what is accessible, and how much is accessible.
Corruption of natural capacity also limits what is accessible.
How does 'Nature', Itself, supposedly limit what is accessible?

And, do the words 'what is accessible' MEAN that there is NO 'limit' to 'that'?

Also, it is through the evolution of Nature, Itself, HOW thee One and ONLY Mind CAME-TO-KNOW Itself.

Corruption of the natural capacity to learn and know FULLY is just the Natural, or the normal, evolutionary process of continual learning and knowing.

'you', adult human beings, HAD TO BECOME 'corrupted', in order to be ABLE TO learn, and KNOW, FULLY what IS Right, and what IS Wrong, IN Life.

Once 'you', adult human beings, individually COME-TO-LEARN and KNOW 'these things' here 'you' ALSO COME-TO-KNOW WHY 'you' were ALL, in the days when this was being written, HAD BECOME 'corrupted'.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Age wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:39 pm
A dog and a human access portions of the same mind. Some portions are the same. Some are different. That's nature.

Humans can corrupt their natural capacity to their accessable portions in all kinds of ways. Dogs can be corrupted too, mostly by mirroring humans because that's in their nature, it endears them to us as does their loyalty that makes such mirroring possible.

But, dogs are simpler than humans and their corruptions are less intellectual. We learn from dogs to be aware of everyone and to greet one another appropriately, and to do the same with farewell to everyone which usually isn't as big a deal as the greeting, except when they miss you. That's admirable and part of dog nature, part of human nature too, and it can be corrupted in both.

Dogs are often criticized for eating s**t, but look at how thin the bread on some of the s**t sandwiches humans have been known to eat, without any mollifying sauce dribbled out in promises, like carrots on a stick to make the horse go.

Post by Age »

Walker wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:55 pm
Age wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:39 pm
A dog and a human access portions of the same mind. Some portions are the same. Some are different. That's nature.

Humans can corrupt their natural capacity to their accessable portions in all kinds of ways. Dogs can be corrupted too, mostly by mirroring humans because that's in their nature, it endears them to us as does their loyalty that makes such mirroring possible.

But, dogs are simpler than humans and their corruptions are less intellectual. We learn from dogs to be aware of everyone and to greet one another appropriately, and to do the same with farewell to everyone which usually isn't as big a deal as the greeting, except when they miss you. That's admirable and part of dog nature, part of human nature too, and it can be corrupted in both.

Dogs are often criticized for eating s**t, but look at how thin the bread on some of the s**t sandwiches humans have been known to eat, without any mollifying sauce dribbled out in promises, like carrots on a stick to make the horse go.
In other words you REALLY do NOT YET KNOW, correct?
Walker

Post by Walker »

How odd. I did explain it. Nature creates various life forms. Each life form accesses the portion of mind available to that life form.

Humans access the human portion. The mechanism of access is the human body. The human brain* is the only instrument known to man that can access the entirety of the portion of mind that man can access.

What's your question, Age?

* And body too. Body awareness.

Post by Age »

Walker wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:06 am How odd. I did explain it. Nature creates various life forms. Each life form accesses the portion of mind available to that life form.

Humans access the human portion. The mechanism of access is the human body. The human brain* is the only instrument known to man that can access the entirety of the portion of mind that man can access.

What's your question, Age?
In relation to 'what', EXACTLY?

How the Mind and the brain, ACTUALLY, work, EXACTLY, is just some 'thing' that 'you' are just YET to LEARN, UNDERSTAND, and KNOW, FULLY.
Walker wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:06 am * And body too. Body awareness.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Any human with IQ 90-110 is "normal".
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Wizard22 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:41 am Any human with IQ 90-110 is "normal".
Even if they're gay or a Democrat?
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Iwannaplato wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:00 amEven if they're gay or a Democrat?
Especially if they're a gay Democrat.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Age wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:59 pm
How the Mind and the brain, ACTUALLY, work, EXACTLY, is just some 'thing' that 'you' are just YET to LEARN, UNDERSTAND, and KNOW, FULLY.
What has yet to happen is your acknowledgment of understanding what's written to you.

Post by Age »

Walker wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:39 am
Age wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:59 pm
What has yet to happen is your acknowledgment of understanding what's written to you.
I do NOT understand what this sentence of yours here means, nor what 'it' is even referring to.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Then consider it ponder fodder, Age. What I write is less important than what you ponder.

I've been thinking about words. I read something somewhere recently in this existence here, about words connecting to one another to produce meaning, and low and behold, a thought popped into my noggin unbidden.

You've heard the saying, The Guest Is God. This adds immense importance to the words, Be My Guest.

When said mindfully, with full awareness of what The Guest Is God means, then Be My Guest is quite the invitation because when mindfully spoken with the objective meaning of the words reflecting the true intent, then the words are dynamite. Saying those words with meaning is the pause that shoulders the karma of another. Quite a responsiblity, with duties to appropriateness.

Have you ever had the pleasure to be the guest of gracious people who think this way? I have. When it comes from the heart and not the job description then it means more, if one can perceive the difference between unconditional, and contractually assumed by role.
TommyB

Post by TommyB »

I am in the process of getting Guy's death certificate. The reason: I suspect that he committed suicide!
TommyB

Post by TommyB »

TommyB wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:38 pm I am in the process of getting Guy's death certificate. The reason: I suspect that he committed suicide!
TommyB wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:18 pm What is a reasonable definition of a concept of a "normal mind"?

My neighbor, Guy Casey, died on October 10, 2023. My experience getting to know him prompts this question.

For more than ten years he occupied the small studio apartment (B710) next to my one bedroom apartment (B709). I moved in on June 15, 2021.

We both graduated from the William Mitchell College of Law, about twelve years apart, and both practiced law in Minnesota: Guy in Saint Paul, I in Duluth.

One day shortly after I moved in, I started to recommend an essay published on Professor of Law Jonathan Turley's blog which I read regularly. Hearing " Turley, ", Guy interrupted me and stated that " Tueley was a whore, and that his opinion was available to the highest bidder!" Shocked, I asked if he read the blog. He said no and gave a trivial source for his opinion.

On another visit to my apartment he noticed a book that I had just purchased and picked it up. The book has a beautiful cover, the art of Master Bertram, entitled and depicting God's act, in "The Creation of the Animals"

The book is "THE ORDER Of THINGS" (2007, Ignatius Press, San Francisco) by the late, great teacher, James V. Schall, S. J.

Guy put the book back, sat down, and then stated that one day, when he was 14,
he came home and told his parents that he was no longer going to go to church.

These disclosures, and others, prompted me to wonder what was his fundamental philosophy of life.

After much thought, I finally concluded that philosophically, he was a cynic.

So, did Guy have a "normal mind"?
TommyB wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:38 pm I am in the process of getting Guy's death certificate. The reason: I suspect that he committed suicide!