"And I will bless those who bless you, and the one who curses you I will curse."

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Iwannaplato

Re: "And I will bless those who bless you, and the one who curses you I will curse."

Post by Iwannaplato »

Janoah wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:38 am Turkish MP suffers heart attack after warning Israel of 'Allah's wrath'
To others his example is a lesson
recent lesson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THMuDCcN2B8
So, instead of preventing Hamas from killing, for example, one of the Jewish party goers in the desert (or, wow, all of them) God waits until a Turkish MP makes the wrong remarks about Israel and smites him dead.

I think this might be a deity in need of some basic morality lessons. Or, well, this conception of a deity needs a basic morality upgrade.

Not to interfere with the pleasure you may be getting from the smugness above or anything.
Janoah

Re: "And I will bless those who bless you, and the one who curses you I will curse."

Post by Janoah »

Janoah wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:38 am Turkish MP suffers heart attack after warning Israel of 'Allah's wrath'
recent lesson
It’s strange, however, that this entire hall, which unanimously applauded him, hasn’t collapsed yet.
Maybe time was allotted to learn the lesson?
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Janoah wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:55 am
recent lesson
It’s strange, however, that this entire hall, which unanimously applauded him, hasn’t collapsed yet.
Maybe time was allotted to learn the lesson?
I think it's stranger that your prioritizing the killing of them, over the deity protecting the innocent Jews already killed.

Like, woo, hoo, you go God. Can't wait.
Rather than, hey why didn't you save those people in the first place? I mean, if God had to kill, he could have killed the attackers before they, for example, reached the partygoers. A nice string of heart attack while running with guns and machetes.
Janoah

Post by Janoah »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:26 pm
Janoah wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:02 am
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:40 pm If you wish to know where, or how, I orient myself, or how I solve these problems and challenges -- well that is a separate question.
I'd still be interested in knowing that.
If indeed "En arkhêi ên ho lógos, kaì ho lógos ên pròs tòn theón, kaì theòs ên ho lógos" [In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God]
Logos in Ancient Greek philosophy 'may mean "reason" or "explanation" in the sense of an objective cosmic law'.
I would agree with the idea of God as an objective cosmic law.

But I still didn’t see your moral compass (I only saw the criticism of others in your reasoning). And the moral compass must fit in one sentence, otherwise it is not a compass, but a confusing map.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Janoah wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:39 pm But I still didn’t see your moral compass (I only saw the criticism of others in your reasoning). And the moral compass must fit in one sentence, otherwise it is not a compass, but a confusing map.
Oh my general moral compass is Occidental, Greco-Christian; a general appreciation and respect for our defined 'moral categories'; our developed system of jurisprudence. I cannot deny my Reform backgrounding but as you know Reform is not real Judaism.

A *moral compass*, to push on your metaphor, is a device one holds in one's hand. Your metaphor places it outside of oneself and in an *object*. You either have one or you don't. But what we determine is moral is what we feel to be moral, and that is determined on an inner plane.

Where I admit to confusion is that I am in a process of rejecting the Judeo-Christian concept of a god who *gave the Law*. Or perhaps I should say I reject, and in some sense despise, that ugly, solitary, brutish figure as he is pictured in the OT. That beast, that animal, that tyrant, is simply not to my liking, and what he produces in the people who emulate him is definitely not to my liking. But I do acknowledge the duality in that imago. There is another side just as a schizophrenic has a sort of split personality I guess.

So my view is that that god-concept must be revised. However I am in doubt as to whether it is necessary to disassociate from it entirely and to establish an new god-concept. I might be able to pull that off, but it would be an individual's work. Meanwhile everyone else will have to carry on with what they have and what they can access. Frankly I relate to a god-picture that is Vedantic. I mean as far as established god-concepts and pictures go.

So for a *moral compass* I would say Platonic and Vedantic with a clear awareness that I am a product of Occidental culture and that already established moral system.

A map is something used to guide you through a territory. I do not offer a map. I can only describe my own processes in relation to *mapping*.