"And I will bless those who bless you, and the one who curses you I will curse."

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Janoah

"And I will bless those who bless you, and the one who curses you I will curse."

Post by Janoah »

"And I will bless those who bless you, and the one who curses you I will curse. And in you all the families of the earth will be blessed."
(Genesis 12:3)

Do you think that this Biblical prediction is being fulfilled?
And if so, how can this be explained from a philosophical point of view?
Impenitent

Re: "And I will bless those who bless you, and the one who curses you I will curse."

Post by Impenitent »

philosophically it is hedonism

-Imp
LuckyR

Re: "And I will bless those who bless you, and the one who curses you I will curse."

Post by LuckyR »

Janoah wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:54 pm "And I will bless those who bless you, and the one who curses you I will curse. And in you all the families of the earth will be blessed."

If you think that passage is a prediction I've got some NFTs to show you that would be a fantastic investment opportunity!
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

LuckyR wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:19 am
Janoah wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:54 pm "And I will bless those who bless you, and the one who curses you I will curse. And in you all the families of the earth will be blessed."

If you think that passage is a prediction I've got some NFTs to show you that would be a fantastic investment opportunity!
And the odd thing is its function in the Torah/Bible is not as a prediction but a description of an ongoing pattern. It's not like Nostradamus or something nor does mean that this new war will finally bring this prediction home.
Last edited by Iwannaplato on Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

God talking to his "chosen" people? God is like your bodyguard or something--your weapon of mass destruction before modern technology came up with extremely powerful ones. Maybe God wants the Palestinians killed, women and children too, like the Amalekites. Kill or be killed. What a "divine" world your creator Yhwh made.

No thanks. Let's not run around killing people. Maybe abstinence from killing will catch on and others will follow a similar sentiment.
Janoah

Post by Janoah »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:11 am

God is
Gary, God is the One objective law of the universe.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Janoah wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:19 am

God is
Let's assume that is a partial definition of God and correct. It doesn't mean that the various subjective creatures running around on earth understand this deity correctly, and given their differing senses of what his objective laws are and how they should be applied in practice and in specific, it seems clear that at least most of the various theists are incorrect about God's objective law much of the time.
Janoah

Post by Janoah »

Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:54 am

God is
Let's assume that is a partial definition of God and correct. It doesn't mean that the various subjective creatures running around on earth understand this deity correctly, and given their differing senses of what his objective laws are and how they should be applied in practice and in specific, it seems clear that at least most of the various theists are incorrect about God's objective law much of the time.
Not only theists, no one can comprehend the ultimate truth.
Plato also said, “I know that I know nothing,” therefore everyone has to believe in something, atheists, for example, believe in atheism.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Janoah wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:54 am

Plato also said, “I know that I know nothing,” therefore everyone has to believe in something, atheists, for example, believe in atheism.
Maybe there is no ultimate truth to comprehend and if there was, what makes you think there is any way for the likes of us to comprehend it having created so many gods throughout history, the OT god being merely one and not very sophisticated to boot.

A very questionable question: Do we even want to know what the ultimate truth is; are we not innately suspicious and even afraid of what it may reveal and all the beliefs which must surrender to it? It may be its consummate simplicity which neutralizes and reduces all beliefs into a state of falsehood, as nothing more than a psychological or political means of self-endorsement...a tool provided by our imagination to service a power complex.

Also, we're long past the stage where we know nothing. People who never gave it a thought, bring it up constantly; each time it tells you nothing because it no-longer means anything. Knowing lessens belief to the point of making it unnecessary or, at least, improbable.

Ironically, choosing to know nothing twenty-four hundred years later is simply an option people still default to in maintaining their preferred beliefs.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Janoah wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:54 am Not only theists, no one can comprehend the ultimate truth.
Sure, agreed. But I was responding to a theist responding to Gary and what he said in that post.
Not sure what this has to do with what I said or Gary said.
Gary..
God talking to his "chosen" people? God is like your bodyguard or something--your weapon of mass destruction before modern technology came up with extremely powerful ones. Maybe God wants the Palestinians killed, women and children too, like the Amalekites. Kill or be killed. What a "divine" world your creator Yhwh made.
You elided most of what he said...
Gary Childress wrote: ↑Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:11 am
God is
and responded....
I then raised the issue of how differently different theists seem to interpret that law. Meaning that even if God is the One objective law, one this trickles down to theists it seems, despite that, to be rather subjectively interpreted. Which was my, not as clearly as I could have, referring back to Gary's concerns, as I interpreted them, about some Jewish people's interpretation of God's position on things, and likely his concern about this in general.

Here we have people knowing that specific land is there's because of fallible humans interpretation of texts received supposedly received from God by other fallible humans.

Of course non-theists can make decisions based on problematic sources and do so with regularity. And those methods of arriving at conclusions are also open to criticism.

My view should be taken as knowledge because their views might not be knowledge either isn't really a defense. Both could be wrong in any given instance due to different or the same reasons.

The Republicans argument is not justified well. Well, the Democrats have arguments that are not justified well. OK, but I vote independent
OR
OK, but we're talking about whether this position is justified well.
Last edited by Iwannaplato on Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

Janoah wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:54 am

Plato was quoting Socrates for that bit, but he didn't know it either...

-Imp
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Janoah writes: Not only theists, no one can comprehend the ultimate truth.

Dubious writes: A very questionable question: Do we even want to know what the ultimate truth is; are we not innately suspicious and even afraid of what it may reveal and all the beliefs which must surrender to it? It may be its consummate simplicity which neutralizes and reduces all beliefs into a state of falsehood, as nothing more than a psychological or political means of self-endorsement...a tool provided by our imagination to service a power complex.
The idea, or the possibility, or the probability, that Dubious expresses does have a correspondence to some traditions or spiritual schools, I am thinking of some out of India, that describe realization as the destruction of all conceptions and stories about God, the gods, divinity — everything.

All of that is described as melting away. Those traditions do not deny the divine nor “divine realization” yet seem to indicate that the realization blows up, in a sense, the entire hallucinated pathway to it. And then consider that these traditions define the earth-plane as something to transcend. They actually visualize higher worlds beyond this world that one can attain — through renunciation here. Thus they involve a negation.

What is notable about the Judaic and Christian religions are the degree to which they define “world missions”. The Jewish project is as long as history, and it depends on memory and remembrance, not the negation of these. It is in fact a material project not a transcendent project. The notion of ascendence out of the earth-plane or to a transcendent realm — even a heaven — is unthinkable thought in Judaism.

Judaism is strictly about a defined historical mission on the Earth and because of this it poses problems for transcendental religiousness. One must understand that because of its focus on materialism, and because of its absolute certainty that it is right and all other modes and traditions are idolatry which must be eliminated, it is associated with a unique power-principle. Something in fact Machiavellian. “Yahweh” takes acute aim at all traditions that are different than it.

Christianity inherited, or extended, this sense of mission and imperative, though with a universalist coloring. The Christian product, the Christian person, this agent, this outcome, is a man of imperatives. Not a man who comes to a still point of quiescence.

The “heralds” of certain Ultimate Truths, for we moderns, seem to be expressed in a Matrix-like nightmare from which one can, under the right circumstances, wake up. But doing so one sees that one is trapped in that matrix. And that our human world is a trap. So an imperative shows up again: seeing under the surfaces. Which therefore involves one in interpretive projects. And living in accord with another motivation set.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Why would a Biblical prediction be fulfilled if there is no such thing as a "miracle"? Somebody of no particular consequence wrote a thing down, guessed luckily, and things worked out. So you would have to say that even if this did happen, it was just an amazing, highly-improbably coincidence, just one of those darn things that happen, or the laws of nature behaving strangely.

But if that's all it is, then nobody should be very impressed, should they? After all, it's not due to God, far less to Israel or to anything Israel did...just to coincidence. It could have as easily been the French, or the Mongolians, or the Palestinians who turned out to be the source of blessing, right?

Or do you believe that? How committed are you to Uniformitarianism?
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Janoah, careful!

Immanuel has a unique talent: through his fanatical reasoning he demonstrates how absurd is the foundation of Christian and Jewish belief. He forces the issue: Do you believe it (can you believe it?) or do you find yourself, in fact, on the other shore where such belief is impossible and intellectually and spiritually hindering?

Let just one pillar fall and all pillars that support traditional belief are in danger.

Then, we are left on the ground having fallen down from an imagined height. It’s 3:00 PM and sweltering. You hear the sound of a saw somewhere far off.

Note that even though this is true, we know that the Cheshire Cat’s smile still hangs in the air …

[Make of that what you will.]
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

God is
If he is, then, considering all the disagreements among people, he hasn't made the "One objective law of the universe" very clear to everyone.