Let's talk about SOULS

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

Re: Let's talk about SOULS

Post by attofishpi »

Peter Kropotkin wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:46 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:13 am For atheists, I want you to sit in a quiet place and consider yourself...this remains a thought comprehension\experiment.

So.

We, ourselves are a block of memory within this universe. That is who we are, we are capable of intelligently perusing said block of memory.

Are you with me so far?
K: as a lifelong atheist, I am very interested in this... so I hope that attofishpi
can complete this beyond a ''block of memory''... I am interested, so please,
can you present us with your thoughts about souls and being atheist....

Kropotkin
Rather ironic, but to be honest I don't recall what my original thoughts were when I created this thread, I had fallen off the wagon rather heavily the other day.

Not sure if there is much point progressing from an atheist point of view since that block of memory fizzles out into the Earth. To comprehend a 'soul' one needs to comprehend that the backbone to subatomic reality has an intelligence operating, an intelligence that manifests throughout the brain matter- block of memory (something I know to exist without a shadow of a doubt).
Indeed, knowing this I am then questioning our consciousness and wondering whether we are capable of being conscious and to sense qualia inputs without this 'God' being ever-present, manfesting throughout our brain matter. I attempt to consider what is God to the point of pondering dark-energy/matter and whether that is in fact what God is.
That perhaps we are consuming the light the energy that we can perceive and it returns to the dark-energy backbone of reality and this universal cycle continues until heat-death big bang restart! Think of the cathode-anode arrangement on a PCB where the components are our qualia sensations from the light to dark.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Lex Fridman discusses 'souls' with Elon Musk (10 days ago)

< 4mins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_wT3NEGT6s
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Nobody knows what a soul is, but because we have the word, "soul", we seem to think it must refer to something. Well maybe it doesn't.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Harbal wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:01 am Nobody knows what a soul is, but because we have the word, "soul", we seem to think it must refer to something. Well maybe it doesn't.
Sure, but it is ridiculous to conceive that you can traverse time beyond death without what we consider a 'soul' to be.

Personally, if I can consider it as immaterial as possible, then it is a pointer in the memory block of reality.

From WIKI: A pointer is a programming concept used in computer science to reference or point to a memory location that stores a value or an object. It is essentially a variable that stores the memory address of another variable or data structure rather than storing the data itself.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:13 am
Harbal wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:01 am Nobody knows what a soul is, but because we have the word, "soul", we seem to think it must refer to something. Well maybe it doesn't.
Sure, but it is ridiculous to conceive that you can traverse time beyond death without what we consider a 'soul' to be.
I have no reason to think we can "traverse time beyond death", whatever you mean by that. I know a lot of people like to think they will somehow carry on after death, but there is no logical reason to suppose they will.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:18 pm
Rather ironic, but to be honest I don't recall what my original thoughts were when I created this thread, I had fallen off the wagon rather heavily the other day.
At least it was entertaining watching this thread start out very ambitious, get derailed entirely, and then fizzle out.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Harbal wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:49 am
I have no reason to think we can "traverse time beyond death", whatever you mean by that. I know a lot of people like to think they will somehow carry on after death, but there is no logical reason to suppose they will.
Well of course it is neither logical nor plausible to what an atheist conceives is their reality. A reality that is ill considered..considering how little of reality we can conceive while using only 5 senses.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:59 am
At least it was entertaining watching this thread start out very ambitious, get derailed entirely, and then fizzle out.
Where is the derailment?
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:03 pm
Where is the derailment?
It started right away, and continued successfully for some time. It continued for so long that you forgot why you started the thread - that's a full derailment.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:17 pm

Where is the derailment?
It started right away, and continued successfully for some time. It continued for so long that you forgot why you started the thread - that's a full derailment.
Nah, only a derailment from the POV of inclusion of atheists on the train.

They think the great RAIL leads to a LIAR (reverse the word).
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:02 pm

Well of course it is neither logical nor plausible to what an atheist conceives is their reality. A reality that is ill considered..considering how little of reality we can conceive while using only 5 senses.
I am an atheist because I don't believe things without having a reason to believe them. I know there is more to reality than I can know through my senses, and sometimes reality throws up questions that we can't answer, so we look for clues to help us conceptualise what those answers might be, but I am not aware of any question that reality has ever presented us with to which the answer might be, "the soul".
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Harbal wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:26 pm
I am an atheist because I don't believe things without having a reason to believe them.
I can name many reasons to believe at least one thing, Christ. (one of them I detail below)

Harbal wrote:I know there is more to reality than I can know through my senses, and sometimes reality throws up questions that we can't answer, so we look for clues to help us conceptualise what those answers might be, but I am not aware of any question that reality has ever presented us with to which the answer might be, "the soul".
True, but there was at least one question (pertaining to faith in Christ) that gave at least some believers the answer that indeed, yes, the soul does exist.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:22 pm

Where is the derailment?

I want some of what you're having.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:38 pm
Harbal wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:26 pm

I am an atheist because I don't believe things without having a reason to believe them.
I can name many reasons to believe at least one thing, Christ. (one of them I detail below)

Harbal wrote:I know there is more to reality than I can know through my senses, and sometimes reality throws up questions that we can't answer, so we look for clues to help us conceptualise what those answers might be, but I am not aware of any question that reality has ever presented us with to which the answer might be, "the soul".
True, but there was at least one question (pertaining to faith in Christ) that gave at least some believers the answer that indeed, yes, the soul does exist.
There may well have been some historic figure called Jesus, who wandered round preaching and gathering followers; I really don't know. What I do know is that we shouldn't be basing our sense of reality on a far fetched story written thousands of years ago.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:45 pm
attofishpi wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:22 pm

I want some of what you're having.
Really? So earn it or Y_earn for it.