Happy veterans/armistice day

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

Re: Happy veterans/armistice day

Post by attofishpi »

Age, please stop wasting resources that us mere humans need.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Impenitent wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:19 am
Sculptor wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:03 am
Impenitent wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:16 pm cheers and thank you

-Imp
Do you not realise that it is supposed to be a solemn occasion?
Memorial day is solemn, veterans day isn't

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 367768001/

-Imp
Oh yes, there are yanks amongst us.
The "thank you for your service" automata.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:39 am
Sculptor wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:34 pm
attofishpi wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:52 am

Falklands?
So why how come the UK own an island in the south Atlantic?
Why should they not? Are you going to suggest UK should have handed it over to Argentina?
No, but I would suggest that expressly removing the defence, inviting invasion may well have been exactly that thing that saved Thatcher's career. Co-incidence?

Also having a racist immigration policy maintains that no non-British person could enter the islands. Is that just?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:13 am
Sculptor wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:34 pm

So why how come the UK own an island in the south Atlantic?
Why should they not? Are you going to suggest UK should have handed it over to Argentina?
No, but I would suggest that expressly removing the defence, inviting invasion may well have been exactly that thing that saved Thatcher's career. Co-incidence?

Also having a racist immigration policy maintains that no non-British person could enter the islands. Is that just?
I wasn't familiar with that, but its certainly not rascist..the British no longer have a discernible 'race'.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:14 pm

I wasn't familiar with that, but its certainly not rascist..the British no longer have a discernible 'race'.
Neither did the Germans. Would you say that Nazi Germany was racist?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:22 am

omg. Of course the Nazis were racist - they wanted to get rid of other 'races', why are making such a ridiculous comparison?
nemos

Post by nemos »

Racists, nationalists, chauvinists, social castes, ... - there are so many ways to separate. If someone wants to find something different, they will certainly find it - but separation will certainly not be what unites us.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:08 am

omg. Of course the Nazis were racist - they wanted to get rid of other 'races', why are making such a ridiculous comparison?
Try and keep up. If not with what I say, but with your own words.
The Britsh and Germans consider themselves the same race. For my money the category is false, but nonetheless saying that the british have no discernible race is the same for Germans.
Using that as an excuse for not being racist is absurd.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

nemos wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:22 am Racists, nationalists, chauvinists, social castes, ... - there are so many ways to separate. If someone wants to find something different, they will certainly find it - but separation will certainly not be what unites us.
True indeed.

Even Americans, depite their diversity of origin can be shockingly racist.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:46 am
The Britsh and Germans consider themselves the same race. For my money the category is false, but nonetheless saying that the british have no discernible race is the same for Germans.
What the fuck are you talking about? So none "British" people are not allowed to step foot on the Falklands and you think that race is involved, that it's racist...ffs u r being ridiculous!!
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:24 am

What the fuck are you talking about? So none "British" people are not allowed to step foot on the Falklands and you think that race is involved, that it's racist...ffs u r being ridiculous!!
I think you are losing the plot.
TIme to go on ignore.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:33 am
attofishpi wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:24 am
I think you are losing the plot.
TIme to go on ignore.
That would be convenient for you since everytime we interact your irrational crap gets kicked squarely in the bollocks. :P

Sculptor wrote:Also having a racist immigration policy maintains that no non-British person could enter the islands. Is that just?
Please explain what the British 'race' is these days?
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

attofishpi wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:32 pm
Please explain what the British 'race' is these days?
https://www.dirtrider.com/story/racing/ ... team-2024/

it's a good race too...

-Imp
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

attofishpi wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:32 pm Please explain what the British 'race' is these days?
It's pretty much the same as the fish n chips eating race.

Dumb question, dumb answer.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Gary Childress wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:22 am
LuckyR wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:34 am Do you those who enlisted (volunteered) differently from those who were drafted?
They want to "serve" a "worthy" cause. The propaganda they all internalize is the same, encouraging "service" and "duty" in the face of an evil enemy, for which they think they are doing a great thing for society. Many people want to do great things for their society. Unfortunately, many are lied to and deceived into thinking that fighting in the invasion of other countries is doing one's "duty" or "serving" one's society. In the end, it just undermines us all when our military does evil, except perhaps arms manufacturers.
Once you’re sent to war, it’s kill or be killed for everyone on both sides whether conscript or enlistee. The difference between the two is simply that the one kind wanted to join and the other did not.

The reasons to join are myriad. Some want to do their duty. Some want to avoid incarceration. Some want to get off the streets. Some view enlistment as a bridge to education or meaningful employment.

The reasons for being drafted are also varied. Some, once called, do not want to become draft dodgers. Some have deeply held religious or political beliefs. Some fear harm and death.

But in the end, there are just two kinds of warriors: the quick and the dead.