Cornel West For President!

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

Cornel West For President!

Post by Gary Childress »

Dear fellow Americans. Please cast your vote for this person in the upcoming presidential election.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/158/Ne ... ember_2023

Thank you.

One Lonely Tenant
Sculptor

Re: Cornel West For President!

Post by Sculptor »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:04 am Dear fellow Americans. Please cast your vote for this person in the upcoming presidential election.

Thank you.

One Lonely Tenant
:D :D :D
If only god existed, i'd say god help america.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:06 am
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:04 am Dear fellow Americans. Please cast your vote for this person in the upcoming presidential election.

Thank you.

One Lonely Tenant
If Cornel West becomes President of the United States, then I will know without a doubt that God exists and that God is good. :|
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:25 am

Thank you.

One Lonely Tenant
If Cornel West becomes President of the United States, then I will know without a doubt that God exists and that God is good. :|
Dream On!!
I do not think your god is gonna be interested in this opinion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWIsawVjvWI
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:18 pm

Dream On!!
My God would LOVE an opinion like what Cornel West stated. My God would be equally for all. West is praising social integrity over extreme individualism. There's nothing wrong with praising social integrity. It's the root of morality itself to modify one's own desires and beliefs in the interest of its effect upon others.

But if that is God, then God would also be no more "mine" than God is any other's. And that's the way I prefer God.

...If you understand my meaning.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:33 pm

Dream On!!
My God would LOVE an opinion like what Cornel West stated. My God would be equally for all. West is praising social integrity over extreme individualism. There's nothing wrong with praising social integrity. It's the root of morality itself to modify one's own desires and beliefs in the interest of its effect upon others.

But if that is God, then God would also be no more "mine" than God is any other's. And that's the way I prefer God.

It seems to me you would be more honest were you to jettison the myth of god and remain a woke atheist.
More constitutional and less suseptible to misunderstanding.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:45 pm

Dream On!!

It seems to me you would be more honest were you to jettison the myth of god and remain a woke atheist.
I am most honestly agnostic right now. I know nothing about things that are beyond my capacity to make a final conclusion on. That includes atheism.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:06 pm

I am most honestly agnostic right now. I know nothing about things that are beyond my capacity to make a final conclusion on. That includes atheism.
Atheism is not a "final conclusion". It is literally an absence of belief. As an agnostic you are a class of atheist in that you live without belief is a god, and aganosticism says WHY.
I would say that ANTITHEISM is a conclusion, since it is an assertion that theism is a harm.
That also is a class of atheism. But just ignorance of a particular god is also atheism. The early Christian missionaries called many "primitives" atheists, since they knew not about Jesus and his Daddy. Without exception these primitives had their own spirit beliefs, yet were know as atheists.

Personally I see no credibility in believing in any God, that makes me an atheist. And realising that such a belief is harmful makes me an antitheist.

But if you have a good argument why a god might exist there is nothing about my atheism that would make me not listen to it. I leave not listening up to others, mostly theists, since believing in a s god and stucking to it seems to require deafness and blindness to so many obvious things.

And for that reason I mistrust Cornel Wilde.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:14 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:06 pm I am most honestly agnostic right now. I know nothing about things that are beyond my capacity to make a final conclusion on. That includes atheism.
Personally I see no credibility in believing in any God, that makes me an atheist. And realising that such a belief is harmful makes me an antitheist.

But if you have a good argument why a god might exist there is nothing about my atheism that would make me not listen to it. I leave not listening up to others, mostly theists, since believing in a s god and stucking to it seems to require deafness and blindness to so many obvious things.
I agree.

If someone were actually full of the light, love, and wisdom of a god that they claim exists, I would notice and listen to what they have to say. But, creepy dark confused and/or extremist people babbling about a god is nothing that makes any sense nor demonstrates anything credible. Even a person full of light, love, and wisdom is someone I would likely see as demonstrating what we are all capable of and have access to without any sort of god. If they could effectively express and share their perspective without nonsense beliefs and stories, and without elevating themselves or casting any judgement on others, I'd be interested to discuss the source/influence of such light, love, and wisdom. :)
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Lacewing wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:37 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:06 pm I am most honestly agnostic right now. I know nothing about things that are beyond my capacity to make a final conclusion on. That includes atheism.

I agree.

If someone were actually full of the light, love, and wisdom of a god that they claim exists, I would notice and listen to what they have to say. But, creepy dark confused and/or extremist people babbling about a god is nothing that makes any sense nor demonstrates anything credible. Even a person full of light, love, and wisdom is someone I would likely see as demonstrating what we are all capable of and have access to without any sort of god. If they could effectively express and share their perspective without nonsense beliefs and stories, and without elevating themselves or casting any judgement on others, I'd be interested to discuss the source/influence of such light, love, and wisdom. :)
I have plenty of it when walking my dogs and/or my various aches and pains are taking a few moments off.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Atheism is not a "final conclusion". It is literally an absence of belief. As an agnostic you are a class of atheist in that you live without belief is a god, and aganosticism says WHY.
I would say that ANTITHEISM is a conclusion, since it is an assertion that theism is a harm.
That also is a class of atheism. But just ignorance of a particular god is also atheism. The early Christian missionaries called many "primitives" atheists, since they knew not about Jesus and his Daddy. Without exception these primitives had their own spirit beliefs, yet were know as atheists.

Hmm. Well, I suppose those are valid points. I have no evidence for the existence of any god. If anything I suppose if there is a God then s/he appears to have created us humans with little other purpose than to watch us destroy ourselves and the habitability of the Earth along with us.

I don't know. Maybe there really, in the final analysis, is no hope that humanity can undergo the kind of change required to save us. Or heck, perhaps our biggest Achilles Heal is the belief that there is a God who favors certain people as something special or that any "divine" being even gives a single fuck what happens to the world. Perhaps God is only a God of prejudice and institutionalized theologized tyranny. Perhaps if we dispensed with the God idea, then the world would be better off?

It's a tough call.

I think Cornel West might be better than another run of Donald Trump, though. But, then again, perhaps electing Trump is the only thing that we can do to spare ourselves from the whipping Putin and Jinping are putting us through. At least Trump and Putin seemed to hit it off reasonably well.

:|
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:46 pm

Hmm. Well, I suppose those are valid points. I have no evidence for the existence of any god. If anything I suppose if there is a God then s/he appears to have created us humans with little other purpose than to watch us destroy ourselves and the habitability of the Earth along with us.

I don't know. Maybe there really, in the final analysis, is no hope that humanity can undergo the kind of change required to save us. Or heck, perhaps our biggest Achilles Heal is the belief that there is a God who favors certain people as something special or that any "divine" being even gives a single fuck what happens to the world. Perhaps God is only a God of prejudice and institutionalized theologized tyranny. Perhaps if we dispensed with the God idea, then the world would be better off?

It's a tough call.
No. Not a tough call at all. As soon as you stop seeing our problems in terms of a "god" it all makes a lot more sense.
GIven how stupid we are as a species, what are the chances that anyone would have ever been right about "god" whatever the F that is?? It's not very likely.

I think Cornel West might be better than another run of Donald Trump, though. But, then again, perhaps electing Trump is the only thing that we can do to spare ourselves from the whipping Putin and Jinping are putting us through. At least Trump and Putin seemed to hit it off reasonably well.
No. You are not paying attention. Another round of Trump and the consequences would be a lot worse that Putin or Xi. China does not really see the US as a competitor or rival. That all media hype, and Putin is losing a war and is not likely to be a threat to anyone but himself..

But put Trump in change and it's Project 2025, and the end of democracy. And I mean that quite LITERALLY.
Trump would fill every post with an army of MTGs.
Look within for the enemy, not without.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:54 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:46 pm I think Cornel West might be better than another run of Donald Trump, though. But, then again, perhaps electing Trump is the only thing that we can do to spare ourselves from the whipping Putin and Jinping are putting us through. At least Trump and Putin seemed to hit it off reasonably well.
No. You are not paying attention. Another round of Trump and the consequences would be a lot worse that Putin or Xi. China does not really see the US as a competitor or rival. That all media hype, and Putin is losing a war and is not likely to be a threat to anyone but himself..

But put Trump in change and it's Project 2025, and the end of democracy. And I mean that quite LITERALLY.
What's wrong with Cornel West, then? Just because he believes in a God doesn't make him unfit to be a president. I don't know him personally but I'm aware he's done a lot of social justice-related work. I saw him speak on behalf of Ralph Nader at a Ralph Nader rally in 2000. I believe he was considering running for the Green Party but maybe he's decided to go "Independent" instead. As far as I'm concerned there aren't any other candidates out there that I know of who would dare go against entrenched policies of social prejudice and pandering to economic interests such as Oil and "defense" contractors.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:45 pm
Lacewing wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:37 pm I agree.

I have plenty of it when walking my dogs and/or my various aches and pains are taking a few moments off.
Nice to know. Too bad you can't respond to posts then.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:14 pm
Sculptor wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:54 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:46 pm I think Cornel West might be better than another run of Donald Trump, though. But, then again, perhaps electing Trump is the only thing that we can do to spare ourselves from the whipping Putin and Jinping are putting us through. At least Trump and Putin seemed to hit it off reasonably well.

What's wrong with Cornel West, then? Just because he believes in a God doesn't make him unfit to be a president.
Yes it does. A man that believes in God despite it all cannot be trusted to apply reason elsewhere, but to follow his dreams and wishes. A President requires to be rational in spite of his beliefs to work towards his aspirations with his eyes open to all possibilities.
I'm pretty sure he wants much of what I do, but there is a little matter of reality which stands between political and social aspirations. For example Because of that lack of trust here is a possible scenario... Race ought not to Matter. He is likely to hand out benefits to black people when all benefts in an equal society ought to be handed out evenly to all without the qualification of race. I would not trust him in this respect to give preferential treatment, for example, to health-care for minorities. This would just cause resentment and work against race relations.

I don't know him personally but I'm aware he's done a lot of social justice-related work. I saw him speak on behalf of Ralph Nader at a Ralph Nader rally in 2000. I believe he was considering running for the Green Party but maybe he's decided to go "Independent" instead. As far as I'm concerned there aren't any other candidates out there that I know of who would dare go against entrenched policies of social prejudice and pandering to economic interests such as Oil and "defense" contractors.
What was it about him that the Green Party rejected his candidacy, would be my question.
Maybe he was too radical and would take unreasonable steps to achieve green related goals and endanger jobs and the economy? I'm guessing.

On a purely practical note. He's never going to win. I know this sounds trivial, but he'd need to have a haircut and a shave for a start.
Marianne Williams seems a better bet.