a bit about the meaning of life

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

nemos

Re: a bit about the meaning of life

Post by nemos »

My life is not mine.

It was given to me in rather vague circumstances, without actually asking for my opinion - well, at least I don't remember and am not aware of it. And likewise, when the time comes, my life will be taken from me, likewise without asking my opinion, the only thing I can do to express my position is to terminate the lease early.
So my life is not my property, but something given to me for rent.
If we rent a cow or a chicken, neither the cow nor the chicken is ours and will have to be returned after some time. But the milk and eggs could actually be ours, otherwise it's not clear why we rent them.

Question:
If compare our life to a cow, then what is the "milk" that we get during the lease and that we can consider as ours??
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

nemos wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:16 am So my life is not my property, but something given to me for rent.
I couldn't help with your question since I don't understand the above statement. To me, your life is YOU, ergo you own it if only briefly.
nemos

Post by nemos »

Well, I stick to the opinion that mine is only what I get myself, and not what is given to me. Because what is given can just as easily be taken back.
Well, even though the concepts of belonging and existence are probably intertwined and derived from each other. The understanding of 'what is mine' probably depends on the understanding of 'who I am'.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

None of that makes any sense to me, sorry.
nemos

Post by nemos »

attofishpi wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:22 pm None of that makes any sense to me, sorry.
No need to apologise, my words are mine alone and, apart from myself, do not impose any obligation on anyone else.

An unattainable dream as a goal to work towards can give life meaning or the appearance of meaning.
Ideally, it could be a very general dream that can unite many if not all.
Without such a guiding dream, life becomes like a garbage dump where people play the roles of garbage.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

nemos wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:17 am
attofishpi wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:22 pm None of that makes any sense to me, sorry.
No need to apologise, my words are mine alone and, apart from myself, do not impose any obligation on anyone else.

An unattainable dream as a goal to work towards can give life meaning or the appearance of meaning.
Ideally, it could be a very general dream that can unite many if not all.
Without such a guiding dream, life becomes like a garbage dump where people play the roles of garbage.
Absolutely people need to have a dream, a goal I've said it to some friends a few times otherwise life can turn to garbage.

As to 'the meaning of life' I think whatever gives your life meaning is the meaning of life, so if one doesn't hold on to that dream, goal, then their life has no meaning and again can turn to garbage.

Even though I know of God, I don't believe there is an over-arching God given meaning that applies to all. Although to know God is to believe Christ (according to the NT) - so I guess if anyone does want to have this awareness about reality, that there is indeed this intelligence behind its construct, then Christ is a worth_Y man to put your faith, belief, trust into.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

nemos wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:16 am My life is not mine.

It was given to me in rather vague circumstances, without actually asking for my opinion - well, at least I don't remember and am not aware of it. And likewise, when the time comes, my life will be taken from me, likewise without asking my opinion, the only thing I can do to express my position is to terminate the lease early.
So my life is not my property, but something given to me for rent.
If we rent a cow or a chicken, neither the cow nor the chicken is ours and will have to be returned after some time. But the milk and eggs could actually be ours, otherwise it's not clear why we rent them.

Question:
If compare our life to a cow, then what is the "milk" that we get during the lease and that we can consider as ours??
The experiences you get to have. Doesn't matter if they're positive or negative. They're yours, no one can take them away from you.
nemos

Post by nemos »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:44 pm
When I talked about a common dream, I didn't mean religion, or god in the context of religion. Although that is also an option. I am no stranger to the concepts of god or soul, only their understanding may differ. I don't believe in a common god, for me both god and my soul are very individual and intimate entities to be shared with others.
As for religion, I don't associate it with god at all, but see it as just another tool of power to manipulate the masses using the concept of god.
By the way, there are other religions besides the Christian religion which are quite successful in exploiting the concept of god without the mediation of Christ.

LuckyR wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:09 am The experiences you get to have. Doesn't matter if they're positive or negative. They're yours, no one can take them away from you.
Well, I thought the same, except that I assumed that others might have different visions that could enrich my experience and revelations.
I also see how what we can really get out of life are experiences and revelations that actually determine how I interact with the environment and who I am, at least for others.
Only if we talk about meaning then only what has a lasting effect is meaningful. I am afraid that my experience will disappear with me.
To make sense of it, the life cycle should be divided into three stages:
- gaining experience
- reflecting on the experience and gaining revelations
- pass it on to someone else, if there will be someone who will be interested.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

nemos wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:54 am When I talked about a common dream, I didn't mean religion, or god in the context of religion.
Yes, I know that but when one talks about the meaning of life it is hard not to bring God into the question of 'meaning'.

Note I stated:- I don't believe there is an over-arching God given meaning that applies to all.
nemos

Post by nemos »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:05 am ... it is hard not to bring God into the question of 'meaning'.
Yes, the concept of God, like the concept of the soul, is closely linked to the search for the meaning of life. The mere existence of the concept of god does not prove the existence of god at all. Both the concept of god and the concept of soul could be created by the search for the meaning of life - the straw to which the drowning man clings.

But if we are talking about a shared dream, what does it really mean to dream of a god, is it like dreaming of eternal life after death ?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

nemos wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:54 am
LuckyR wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:09 am The experiences you get to have. Doesn't matter if they're positive or negative. They're yours, no one can take them away from you.
Well, I thought the same, except that I assumed that others might have different visions that could enrich my experience and revelations.
I also see how what we can really get out of life are experiences and revelations that actually determine how I interact with the environment and who I am, at least for others.
Only if we talk about meaning then only what has a lasting effect is meaningful. I am afraid that my experience will disappear with me.
To make sense of it, the life cycle should be divided into three stages:
- gaining experience
- reflecting on the experience and gaining revelations
- pass it on to someone else, if there will be someone who will be interested.
I agree with your three steps. And of the three, the third is the least important from your own perspective.