How i am the best philosopher

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Atla

Re: How i am the best philosopher

Post by Atla »

Advocate wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:08 am Hypothetical.. only theoretically possible. "Look," said the puddle, "how perfect the ground is for me. It fits me perfectly. It must be made just for me.". That's the anthropic principle; the inversion of probability. We could Only have arisen in this universe because it's the only universe there is. Hypothetically possible ones, you may be surprised to discover, don't actually exist and have no bearing on anything.
How do you know this is the only universe that actually exists? That seems completely illogical.
nemos

Post by nemos »

"We could only have originated in this universe, ..."
it is only if the universe is itself and we are ourselves.
But if we are also the universe, then as an organic part of it?
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=nemos post_id=674880 time=1698042100 user_id=24568]
"Why this particular universe?"
The question involves the claim that other universes exist.
Is it proven or just an assumption?
[/quote]

This one because there is no other. Everything that can happen does happen, and that's one infinite ongoing thing.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Atla wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:23 am How do you know this is the only universe that actually exists? That seems completely illogical.
Sophist handbook page ... whatever.

Manufacturing uncertainty.

Step 1. Take any two synonymous nouns X and Y ("universe" and "existence")
Step 2. Make one of them an ontological gerund (exist); and the other a noun (universe)
Step 2. Invoke multiplicity: How many universes exist?
Step 4. Profit.

All that is knowable is that which is within causal distance of our minds given the age of our universe and the speed of causality.
Atla

Post by Atla »

nemos wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:21 am "Why this particular universe?"
Of course it's an assumption. I'm using the new meaning of 'universe' here of course as in universe vs multiverse, not the old meaning of universe where it just means all-there-is.

If we stick to the illogical one-universe-philosophy, that's of course also the end of philosophy right there. There are no answers then. Anyone who is serious about philosophy doesn't stop there.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Atla wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:53 am Of course it's an assumption. I'm using the new meaning of 'universe' here of course as in universe vs multiverse, not the old meaning of universe where it just means all-there-is.
The new meaning is exactly the same as the old meaning.

All there is is all there is.

Is there is a universe or a multiverse? This is a structural question. How is "all there is" configured?

A different configuration/structure of "all there is" doesn't change the meaning of "all there is".

Post by Age »

Atla wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:53 am
nemos wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:21 am "Why this particular universe?"
Of course it's an assumption. I'm using the new meaning of 'universe' here of course as in universe vs multiverse, not the old meaning of universe where it just means all-there-is.

If we stick to the illogical one-universe-philosophy, that's of course also the end of philosophy right there. There are no answers then. Anyone who is serious about philosophy doesn't stop there.
Talk ABOUT providing A PRIME example of being ABSOLUTELY CLOSED.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Age wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:59 am Talk ABOUT providing A PRIME example of being ABSOLUTELY CLOSED.
Talk about failing to graph the very meaning of open vs closed.

Atla's conception is exactly OPEN.

His use of language is an intentional effort to let meaning escape. Through the opening created by re-defining words.
Last edited by Skepdick on Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
nemos

Post by nemos »

"Of course it's an assumption...., that's of course also the end of philosophy right there ..."

What is more important philosophy or truth ?!
Last edited by nemos on Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

nemos wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:03 am What is more important philosophy or truth ?!
Is it true that the connective is an "OR" and not an "AND"?

What if you don't have to choose?

What Atla is peddling as "philosophy" is just a mind game aimed to deceive and confuse.
nemos

Post by nemos »

"What Atla is peddling as "philosophy" is just a mind game aimed to deceive and confuse."

Of course, I'm sorry that it happened, but I am a natural enemy of any efforts to create confusion. :(
Last edited by nemos on Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atla

Post by Atla »

nemos wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:03 am "Of course it's an assumption...., that's of course also the end of philosophy right there ..."

What is more important philosophy or truth ?!
What are you asking? A part of philosophy can be seen as the establishment of truth beyond reasonable doubt, and the rest is educated guess or worse.
Atla

Post by Atla »

nemos wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:09 am "What Atla is peddling as "philosophy" is just a mind game aimed to deceive and confuse."

Of course, I'm sorry that it happened, but I am a natural enemy of any efforts to create confusion. :(
No, you guys are playing mind games.
nemos

Post by nemos »

Don't blame the tool for how you use it ;)
Atla

Post by Atla »

Sticking to a one-universe-educated-guess is arguably roughly equivalent to saying that

1 < 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000...00000000000000001

In terms of orders of magnitude, it may be the most irrational educated-guess in all of philosophy.
Because in terms of sheer random chance, that's how much more likely it is for the one existing universe to be consisting of say, one particle-pair or two particle-pairs or something similar very small and very simple.

But instead we have THIS universe. If that's not illogical then arguably nothing else is illogical either. No thanks.

And then there are all the constants and laws of our universe which are also variables, I only took one little part of the improbability problem.