Skepticism: A Way of Life for Inner Peace - How?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Veritas Aequitas

Re: Skepticism: A Way of Life for Inner Peace - How?

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Iwannaplato wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:59 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:37 am The above is off topic again.
Nope, it is right on topic. It is a response to assertions and positions presented as Pyrric in the title of the thread and the OP: It is using the Pyrric ideas about suspending judgment - central to what is asserted about them in the OP and asserted by them - and aiming those ideas at their own prioritization of Inner Peace, which is central to the title of the thread and their own proclaimed intentions. What they did all that suspending judgment ..... for.

I am right on topic. There are certainly other ways to be on topic - in this thread that no one had responded to for quite a while - but mine is certainly one of these.
You need to understand why [.. I had mentioned somewhere] and the reasons [negatives and evil potentials] why Pyrrhonists suspend judgment on specifically the idea of a mind-independent reality.
I have read what you wrote and I have seen that in outside texts also. Yes, you covered that in the OP......also. and it seems part of the why is to achieve inner peace. It is one of the many ideas they suspend judgment regarding.
If the suspension of judgment SPECIFIC to the idea of a mind-independent reality eliminate the noises, pains and sufferings associated with it thus resulting in inner peace, it would not be rational and wise for them to suspend judgment on this positive move.
But first they must show that that is the criterion - achieving innner peace - we must make central. And they have not done that. Thus using their own arguments they should suspend judgment about making that the criterion for adopting the belief that that is the right goal.
As humans, Pyrrhonists would have achieved degrees of inner peace via various [physical and mental] struggles but these are not related to the belief and clinging specifically to the [on topic] idea of a mind-independent reality.
We have no idea if they achieved any special degree of inner peace or not.
You are off topic.
I said so because I am the one who started the OP and thus set the intended theme.

There are two main schools of skepticism:
1. Radical Skepticism - suspend judgment on all forms of knowledge
2. Pyrrhonian Skepticism - moderate, suspend judgment on ultimate reality.

The topic is on Pyrrhonian Skepticism - the moderate version.
  • More moderate forms claim only that nothing can be known with certainty, or that we can know little or nothing about nonempirical matters, such as whether God exists, whether human beings have free will, or whether there is an afterlife. In ancient philosophy, skepticism was understood as a way of life associated with inner peace.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skepticism
Example;
To pyrrhonists, someone who believe dogmatically that ghosts exist as real will suffer real terrible fears wherever they are in dark and mysterious places which they think there are ghosts.
The pyrrhonist would recommend that someone suspend judgment that ghosts exist as real entities; if they are able to suspend judgment [or just give up the idea] they will not have any more fears and mental disturbances [thus no inner peace] triggered by any belief ghosts are real entities lurking in dark places.
If this is the positive result, why should that someone reconsider whether his suspension of judgment should be suspended or not?