For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

henry quirk

Re: What can we agree on?

Post by henry quirk »

Peter Kropotkin wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:08 pm
your answer to government is simply anarchism
Minarchism actually.
Now the next point, about your ''bazooka'' and how it becomes my concern after its use... at that point it is no longer my concern because I am dead...
That depends on how I use the bazooka.
so I can only become concerned about your owning a ''bazooka'' after its violent use?
In context: I was referrin' to the community, not lace in particular (and not you at all).
is it your contention that the guy who killed all those people in Maine, is of no concern until after he killed 18 people and then himself?
He *wasn't.

Anywho: if a person does no wrong with his property, his property is nobody's business. That, of course, conflicts with your guilty till proven innocent notion (and make no mistake, that is where you live...if one is deprived of X becuz of what he might do, you've declared him guilty and lay the burden on him to prove his innocence...here, in America, currently, the opposite is held to be true).

*Unless you wanna take into account he reported hearing voices and having trouble with his thinking well before he went on a spree. Apparently a whole whack of folks knew he was in trouble and did diddly squat to intervene. Not family, friends, the Vet Admin., etc. He telegraphed his trouble and no one stepped up.
Peter Kropotkin

Post by Peter Kropotkin »

henry quirk:
Anywho: if a person does no wrong with his property, his property is nobody's business. That, of course, conflicts with your guilty till proven innocent notion (and make no mistake, that is where you live...if one is deprived of X becuz of what he might do, you've declared him guilty and lay the burden on him to prove his innocence...here, in America, currently, the opposite is held to be true).
*Unless you wanna take into account he reported hearing voices and having trouble with his thinking well before he went on a spree. Apparently a whole whack of folks knew he was in trouble and did diddly squat to intervene. Not family, friends, the Vet Admin., etc. He telegraphed his trouble and no one stepped up.

K: according to your own theory, no one is supposed to help him... what a person does
with their own property/life is no one else's business.. if he has mental problems,
that is on him.. that is your theory... no one can or should have interfered with him
even if he had mental problems and had guns... remember according to your own
theory, a person own business is their own business and of no concern to
anyone else... you directly said that.... and thus under your very own theory,
no was supposed to stop him... or as you put it... ''stepped up""
everyone did exactly as your theory suggest and what was the outcome?

just 18 dead...
too much government overreach had they tried to stop him... right?

Kropotkin
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Peter Kropotkin wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:17 pmaccording to your own theory, no one is supposed to help him
You asked: is it your contention that the guy who killed all those people in Maine, is of no concern until after he killed 18 people and then himself?

I responded: He *wasn't. *Unless you wanna take into account he reported hearing voices and having trouble with his thinking well before he went on a spree. Apparently a whole whack of folks knew he was in trouble and did diddly squat to intervene. Not family, friends, the Vet Admin., etc. He telegraphed his trouble and no one stepped up.

*Can't see where you get I favor not helping those who ask for it. And ask for it he did. Look to his family, friends, and the VA. Ask them why their loved one, their friend, was left flailing; why their professional obligation, was left unattended.
too much government overreach had they tried to stop him... right?
No even tried to stop him. Not family or friends or the agency tasked with aiding vets. No one.

So: why are you miscategorizing my positions?

There's two issues here: the right to property, and, compassion for those in need. His property was his, full stop, till he used it to take lives unjustly. He asked for help from those who love him and from those tasked to assist and got nuthin' for his trouble. Two issues you're conflating and trying to dirty me in the process. Stop it or you can jibber-jabber to yourself.

*In fact just upthread I wrote: encourage private charity...you know, that thing where folks offer assistance to other folks who need a hand up (instead of a hand out).
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Q: What can we agree on?

A: That the world is often a mess.