Morality: Intrinsic vs Extrinsic Values

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skepdick

Re: Morality: Intrinsic vs Extrinsic Values

Post by Skepdick »

Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:39 am
Skepdick wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:31 pm
LuckyR wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:00 pm Well if what you're calling "value" is intrinsic to objects and what I'm calling value is an intersubjective concept that exists solely within the mind of observers, I think that's a difference.
Whatever the differences it's still a fact that Intrinsic value and intersubjective value are both valuable, are they not?

It seems kinda obvious given that values are valuable.
Maybe only to Joe. Sally doesn't have to feel bad when Joe tells her the Transam in the driveway is valuable and she's stupid for not recognizing that. She can say 'I know. It's valuable to you. To me, no.' So, in the air, abstract, we have value with both ways of looking at value. Somewhere in reality. But in one this value only occupies some of reality or only arises in the presence of certain other things. It might not be there for years or in Tanzania at all. The empty fridge and the hungry kids is what Sally's focused on. A whole world for Sally where nowhere does she find value in the Transam. It's absent from her world. In Joe's world much value in the driveway.
But then I'm sure none of this is a surprise to you, so I'm probably missing the point.
Yes, even conflicting values are still valuable to the conflicting parties ;)

All disagreements reduce to conflicting values. Evaluation is interpretation.

Does this sense-data evaluate to "red" or 'blue"? There is no path to mutually-agreed-upon facts without shared linguistic values.