The Sun Also Sets

Known unknowns and unknown unknowns!

Moderators: AMod, iMod

commonsense

The Sun Also Sets

Post by commonsense »

I believe the sun will descend in the west tonight. I believe this because that is what has always happened. But, of course, I cannot know what the sun will do tonight, no matter how many times it has done such until now. I can believe it, but cannot know it.

So knowledge is really belief rather than fact. It is JTB. It is even said by some to be opinion. What makes a belief justifiable other than its ability to be reproduced, along with its inability to fail to be reproduced? And how can I be certain that the belief can be reproduced ad infinitum? Or that it will always be impossible to fail to be reproduced?
Impenitent

Re: The Sun Also Sets

Post by Impenitent »

the sun will go supernova soon enough

-Imp
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

commonsense wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:15 pm I believe the sun will descend in the west tonight. I believe this because that is what has always happened. But, of course, I cannot know what the sun will do tonight, no matter how many times it has done such until now. I can believe it, but cannot know it.

So knowledge is really belief rather than fact. It is JTB. It is even said by some to be opinion. What makes a belief justifiable other than its ability to be reproduced, along with its inability to fail to be reproduced? And how can I be certain that the belief can be reproduced ad infinitum? Or that it will always be impossible to fail to be reproduced?
Knowledge is experience. The sun in my experience has always set in the west, and perhaps will do so today and tomorrow.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

popeye1945 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:26 pm
commonsense wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:15 pm I believe the sun will descend in the west tonight. I believe this because that is what has always happened. But, of course, I cannot know what the sun will do tonight, no matter how many times it has done such until now. I can believe it, but cannot know it.

Knowledge is experience. The sun in my experience has always set in the west, and perhaps will do so today and tomorrow.
Perhaps.

Post by Age »

So, instead of 'believing' it will happen why not just 'think' it will happen, instead?

The word 'believe', in the above circumstance, brings with 'it' a connotation of 'must happen'. Which, as you already explained, may NOT even happen and so do NOT 'know' will happen but which you 'think' will happen.
commonsense wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:15 pm So knowledge is really belief rather than fact.
BUT what you 'believe' will happen, or 'believe' is true, is NOT necessarily what 'will happen', nor 'what is true', at all. So, 'knowledge', therefore, is NOT necessarily 'belief' AT ALL but rather some 'thing' else instead. Which, by the way, will all depend on how 'you' are defining the word 'knowledge' itself, anyway, EXACTLY.
commonsense wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:15 pm It is JTB.
So-called 'justified true belief', in the above, scenario can only be verified AFTER 'the fact', which may be all well and good. But, AGAIN, WHY even hold or have 'a belief' of some 'thing' that may NOT be true or may NOT even happen anyway? AGAIN, WHY NOT just 'think' that 'it' is true or will happen.

WHY NOT just say and/or think, 'From my perspective, which is based solely and only upon my own past experiences, and as far as I am aware the sun will 'appear' to set, to me, at some designated measured 'time', instead. At least 'this' IS IRREFUTABLY and ACTUALLY True.
commonsense wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:15 pm It is even said by some to be opinion. What makes a belief justifiable other than its ability to be reproduced, along with its inability to fail to be reproduced?
WHY even bother 'wasting time and energy' on such completely unnecessary 'things'. WHY NOT just 'think' some 'thing' is true or will happen, INSTEAD, of 'believing' 'it' is true or will happen?
commonsense wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:15 pm And how can I be certain that the belief can be reproduced ad infinitum?
If you can NOT, then 'it' is ONLY 'thought' to happen/be true, and NOT 'known' to happen/be true. The word 'known', by the way, relates to the word 'knowledge'. Which, by the way, should help or be some guidance in HOW you are/could be defining the word 'knowledge', as I alluded to above, earlier.
commonsense wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:15 pm Or that it will always be impossible to fail to be reproduced?
It is all just a complete waste of time and energy anyway. Just replace the word 'believe' with the word 'think' and change the words 'my belief is ...' with the words 'as far as i am aware ...', then all is well and good here.

It is all VERY SIMPLE and VERY EASY, REALLY.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

commonsense wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:09 am

Knowledge is experience. The sun in my experience has always set in the west, and perhaps it will do so today and tomorrow.
Perhaps.

Nothing being eternal it is all perhaps.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Age wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:19 am
So, instead of 'believing' it will happen why not just 'think' it will happen, instead?

The word 'believe', in the above circumstance, brings with 'it' a connotation of 'must happen'. Which, as you already explained, may NOT even happen and so do NOT 'know' will happen but which you 'think' will happen.
commonsense wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:15 pm So knowledge is really belief rather than fact.
BUT what you 'believe' will happen, or 'believe' is true, is NOT necessarily what 'will happen', nor 'what is true', at all. So, 'knowledge', therefore, is NOT necessarily 'belief' AT ALL but rather some 'thing' else instead. Which, by the way, will all depend on how 'you' are defining the word 'knowledge' itself, anyway, EXACTLY.
So-called 'justified true belief', in the above, scenario can only be verified AFTER 'the fact', which may be all well and good. But, AGAIN, WHY even hold or have 'a belief' of some 'thing' that may NOT be true or may NOT even happen anyway? AGAIN, WHY NOT just 'think' that 'it' is true or will happen.

WHY NOT just say and/or think, 'From my perspective, which is based solely and only upon my own past experiences, and as far as I am aware the sun will 'appear' to set, to me, at some designated measured 'time', instead. At least 'this' IS IRREFUTABLY and ACTUALLY True.
commonsense wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:15 pm It is even said by some to be opinion. What makes a belief justifiable other than its ability to be reproduced, along with its inability to fail to be reproduced?
WHY even bother 'wasting time and energy' on such completely unnecessary 'things'. WHY NOT just 'think' some 'thing' is true or will happen, INSTEAD, of 'believing' 'it' is true or will happen?
commonsense wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:15 pm And how can I be certain that the belief can be reproduced ad infinitum?
If you can NOT, then 'it' is ONLY 'thought' to happen/be true, and NOT 'known' to happen/be true. The word 'known', by the way, relates to the word 'knowledge'. Which, by the way, should help or be some guidance in HOW you are/could be defining the word 'knowledge', as I alluded to above, earlier.
commonsense wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:15 pm Or that it will always be impossible to fail to be reproduced?
It is all just a complete waste of time and energy anyway. Just replace the word 'believe' with the word 'think' and change the words 'my belief is ...' with the words 'as far as i am aware ...', then all is well and good here.

Very good. But how can you think something is true unless you believe your thinking is reliable?

Post by Age »

popeye1945 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:20 am

Knowledge is experience. The sun in my experience has always set in the west, and perhaps it will do so today and tomorrow.
Perhaps.

But some 'things' ARE eternal.

Post by Age »

commonsense wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:55 am
Age wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:19 am

Very good. But how can you think something is true unless you believe your thinking is reliable?
VERY SIMPLY, and, VERY EASILY.

Besides the very fact that NO one HAS TO even 'believe' that their 'thinking' is reliable in the first place, 'believing' that one's own 'thinking' is reliable, or not, will NEVER necessarily make what is being 'thought' to be true anymore 'more true' NOR accurate anyway.

Just 'thinking' some 'thing' is true, by 'its' very nature MEANS that what is 'thought' to be is NOT necessarily true in part nor at all. Which is what IS NEEDED to BECOME, and REMAIN, Truly OPEN, which will ALWAYS OUTWEIGH having 'belief'.

Now, besides these few 'things', 'believing your thinking is reliable' brings us BACK TO what I was SHOWING and HIGHLIGHTING above here. Namely, is there absolutely ANY purpose AT ALL in 'believing' some 'thing' is true, or will happen, in the first place, especially considering the fact that what is being 'believed' may NOT be true, NOR may NOT even happen, anyway?

In other words, is there ANY purpose AT ALL in 'believing' one's own thinking is reliable WHEN 'it' may NOT be anyway?

If one just does NOT YET KNOW, for sure, some 'thing', then 'that thing' is just 'thought' to be true, but which may well NOT be true, which, obviously, includes one's own 'thinking'.

ANY one can, VERY EASILY and VERY SIMPLY, 'think' some 'thing' is true WITHOUT there necessarily HAVING TO BE absolutely ANY 'belief' in one's own 'thinking' is reliable.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

You can't. We do our best in the given situation. Or we don't.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Impenitent wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:02 pm the sun will go supernova soon enough

-Imp
It will never do that. It's not massive enough.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Age wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:14 am
popeye1945 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:20 am

Perhaps.

But some 'things' ARE eternal.
Like what?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Iwannaplato wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:45 am

Yes, and that’s why I say that one must believe that something is a fact before one can begin to consider it to be true knowledge.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

commonsense wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:17 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:45 am

Yes, and that’s why I say that one must believe that something is a fact before one can begin to consider it to be true knowledge.
One believes one's personal experience until one is given a reason to question that experience, that is why it is said that experience is knowledge. Experience is knowledge of the physical world though it is not infallible.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

popeye1945 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:27 pm
commonsense wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:17 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:45 am You can't. We do our best in the given situation. Or we don't.
One believes one's personal experience until one is given a reason to question that experience, that is why it is said that experience is knowledge. Experience is knowledge of the physical world though it is not infallible.
Agreed, and because we consider ourselves to be sane and our senses to be reliable, we judge our experiences as accurate and real.