The Sun Also Sets

Known unknowns and unknown unknowns!

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Re: The Sun Also Sets

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:19 pm
Age wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:01 pm It IS this kind of RIDICULOUSNESS and ABSURDNESS WHY 'you', people, in the days when this is being written, are NOT PROGRESSING and EVOLVING as QUICKLY as 'you' ALL COULD BE.

JUST ASK 'me' the ACTUAL QUESTIONS, which 'you' would like 'me' TO ANSWER, FOR 'you' here.
I just did some Googling, Age.
Okay.
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:19 pm Is this article true?
I do NOT KNOW.
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:19 pm Yes or no?
But IF I just ANSWERED with one of those two words, then I would NOT be INFORMING 'you' of what the ACTUAL and IRREFUTABLE Truth IS, EXACTLY. Like I JUST DID in MY ANSWER, PRIOR.
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:19 pm OR what in this article is NOT true or what in the article IS true?
The ACTUAL IRREFUTABLE Truth IS, I DO NOT KNOW.
Now that 'you' HAVE the ACTUAL IRREFUTABLE Truth does 'this' HELP 'you'?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

commonsense wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:05 pm
Sculptor wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:43 pm
commonsense wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:03 pm

Do you agree that reading is an experience?
Reading is not knowledge
Reading is one way to acquire knowledge. (The act of) reading is an experience. Knowledge is a collection of experiences.
And when I read I can read about things about which I can have no experience.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Age wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:06 pm
Age wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:01 pm It IS this kind of RIDICULOUSNESS and ABSURDNESS WHY 'you', people, in the days when this is being written, are NOT PROGRESSING and EVOLVING as QUICKLY as 'you' ALL COULD BE.

JUST ASK 'me' the ACTUAL QUESTIONS, which 'you' would like 'me' TO ANSWER, FOR 'you' here.
Okay.
I do NOT KNOW.
But IF I just ANSWERED with one of those two words, then I would NOT be INFORMING 'you' of what the ACTUAL and IRREFUTABLE Truth IS, EXACTLY. Like I JUST DID in MY ANSWER, PRIOR.
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:19 pm OR what in this article is NOT true or what in the article IS true?
I don't know if it helps me or not. Are you sure we have the actual irrefutable truth? And if so, what do you think that truth is? Or is the truth that we must all determine if this article is the absolutely irrefutable truth or not?

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:14 pm
Age wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:06 pm

Okay.
I do NOT KNOW.
I don't know if it helps me or not. Are you sure we have the actual irrefutable truth?
YES. I JUST INFORMED 'you' OF 'It'.

Are 'you' DOUBTING 'I' JUST INFORMED 'you' of the ACTUAL IRREFUTABLE Truth?

If yes, then WHY, EXACTLY?
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:14 pm And if so, what do you think that truth is?
I HAVE INFORMED 'you', ALREADY.

DID 'you' NOT READ my answers in my last reply TO 'you'?
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:14 pm Or is the truth that we must all determine if this article is the absolutely irrefutable truth or not?
WHAT???
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:09 pm
Sculptor wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:43 pm
Reading is not knowledge
Reading is one way to acquire knowledge. (The act of) reading is an experience. Knowledge is a collection of experiences.
Exactly.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

commonsense wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:24 pm

Exactly.
No.
This is contrary to what you said above.
Knowledge is NOT about experience. (though it is sometimes).
You have just lost the threads of your thoughts.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:00 pm

Exactly.
No.
It’s time to backtrack. What do you say knowledge is?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

commonsense wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:08 pm

Exactly.
No.
To stay on thread..
Knowledge is information about the state of affairs, which is at a higher form than belief.
Belief is about things taken as true which do not necessarily conply with strict criteria based on reason and evidence.
Knowledge has to have a formal basis based on a reasonable and rational consideration of evidence; belief does not.
This is why knoweldge is often calle "justified true belief", though for myself I think it most important is sunder ideas of knowledge thouroghly from belief for reasons of clarity.
Thus knowledge is based in reason and actuality, whereas belief is faith base. This can inlcude things accepted as true ragardless of reason and evidence, but accepted simply because it is wished to be true. Matters pertaining to mystical and divine things fall into this category.
Thus you cannot "know" god, typically, but you can "believe" in god.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:22 pm

No.
To stay on thread..
Knowledge is information about the state of affairs, which is at a higher form than belief.
Belief is about things taken as true which do not necessarily conply with strict criteria based on reason and evidence.
Knowledge has to have a formal basis based on a reasonable and rational consideration of evidence; belief does not.
This is why knoweldge is often calle "justified true belief", though for myself I think it most important is sunder ideas of knowledge thouroghly from belief for reasons of clarity.
Thus knowledge is based in reason and actuality, whereas belief is faith base. This can inlcude things accepted as true ragardless of reason and evidence, but accepted simply because it is wished to be true. Matters pertaining to mystical and divine things fall into this category.
Are you claiming that knowledge is justified true information in contradiction to your statement that knowledge is justified true belief?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Age wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:24 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:14 pm Or is the truth that we must all determine if this article is the absolutely irrefutable truth or not?
WHAT???
Do you believe that the Chinese government which is currently saber rattling against us and which has a navy that now exceeds our own in raw numbers promoted cannibalism as mentioned in the Wiki article I linked? Do you believe that the Chinese people in the province referred to in the article linked practiced cannibalism? Yes, no, maybe, possibly, no way?

Or do you think the Wiki article is propaganda?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

commonsense wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:46 pm

To stay on thread..
Are you claiming that knowledge is justified true information in contradiction to your statement that knowledge is justified true belief?
No there is no contradiction
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:19 pm
WHAT???
Do you believe that the Chinese government which is currently saber rattling against us and which has a navy that now exceeds our own in raw numbers promoted cannibalism as mentioned in the Wiki article I linked? Do you believe that the Chinese people in the province referred to in the article linked practiced cannibalism? Yes, no, maybe, possibly, no way?

THe US is sabre rattling, not China. Take a look at the bases dotted around in SE Asia.
Why do you think a massacre is relevant here?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:22 pm

WHAT???

THe US is sabre rattling, not China. Take a look at the bases dotted around in SE Asia.
Why do you think a massacre is relevant here?
Because, if it is the case that the Chinese government is somehow responsible for what allegedly happened in that province, then maybe the US has been equally right all along to distance itself from China and any governments that follow more or less in that vein. If you read the article it's pretty surreal (at least to me). I suspect propaganda (either theirs or ours) could be involved and therefore it's not true in whatever sense, but I can't say it with 100% certainty. It makes a guy wonder about who our fellow humans are and what they're capable of. Granted, the US hasn't been an angel, but one might wonder if being an angel isn't perhaps a recipe for being dinner in this world for anyone who tries it.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:20 pm
commonsense wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:46 pm

To stay on thread..
No there is no contradiction
Because knowledge is both justified true belief and justified true information :mrgreen:

Post by Age »

WHAT???
Do you believe that the Chinese government which is currently saber rattling against us
What, EXACTLY, are you going on ABOUT?

Who and/or what is the 'us' word here even REFERRING TO, EXACTLY?
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:19 pm and which has a navy that now exceeds our own in raw numbers promoted cannibalism as mentioned in the Wiki article I linked?
How MANY TIMES do 'you' HAVE TO BE TOLD some 'thing' BEFORE 'you' FULLY COMPREHEND, UNDERSTAND, and ACCEPT 'it'?

I ONLY BELIEVE one 'thing' and what you ASKED here is NOT 'it'.

Are you even remotely aware that the 'navy' of the country and citizens, which you are alluding to here, was organized and run by peoples who STOLE the lands of "OTHER" peoples?
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:19 pm Do you believe that the Chinese people in the province referred to in the article linked practiced cannibalism? Yes, no, maybe, possibly, no way?
I ALREADY ANSWERED you. DID you, ONCE AGAIN, NOT READ the ACTUAL WORDS and the ACTUAL IRREFUTABLE Truth that was BEFORE 'you'?
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:19 pm Or do you think the Wiki article is propaganda?
Is this A 'philosophy' FORUM, or some sort of 'news' and/or 'opinion' FORUM?