Science is Based on Faith like Theism?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Veritas Aequitas

Re: Science is Based on Faith like Theism?

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:36 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:34 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:28 pm
Not "insignificant." Constant. Read Polanyi.
I am interested in your point, what is your argument for it.
To save time of me reading the whole book, show me some points in Polanyi's book to support your point.
What am I, your "Reader's Digest"? :D I don't do book precis for people. I tell them where they information is, and let them read it and discuss it if they want. Polanyi's worth your time, if you can understand him.
Fair enough.
Given I always request people to read the whole of Kant's book if they want to counter Kant's ideas.

What is your definition of 'faith' 'God' and reality.
Last edited by Veritas Aequitas on Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:28 pm
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:22 am Scientists do rely on faith to some insignificant degrees...
Not "insignificant." Constant. Read Polanyi.
Are you equating tacit knowledge with faith?
Could you define 'faith'?
Then could you connect your Christian faith with Polyani's tacit knowledge? How is your faith an example of tacit knowledge, Polyani's version, that is?

In general I think this is a good direction for theists to go. Call faith 'intuition' and then also a 'doing', so practice is involved. Then demonstrations of God are participation in the practices of the religion rather than propositional arguments.

It's not, however, how most Abrahamists use the word 'faith' - well, there are a lot of versions.

I don't think Polyani uses the word 'faith', though it's been a couple of decades since I read him.

So, how does tacit knowledge play out for you in your faith?

And then if you are arguing that faith is a kind of tacit knowledge, this would generally mean that no rational argument can produce it. Is this what you believe? Do you feel like you can present an argument for the existence of God that a rational, open person should be convinced by, or is faith like tacit knowledge?
Last edited by Iwannaplato on Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:12 am
Flannel Jesus wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:28 am Lose the ChatGPT stuff please. Here's my dirty protest: 💩
When I rely on ChatGPT I always qualify "with reservations" which I forgot to do above.

I believe it would be very unintelligent and unwise not to take advantages of all the pros offered by ChatGPT and other AIs with the full awareness of its cons.
You aren't taking advantage of it well here. You can't even think for yourself anymore.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:39 am What is your definition of 'faith' 'God' and reality.
I've given my definition of "faith" and of "God" multiple times, in multiple posts. Briefly, "faith" is conviction of things that can only be known probabilstically." And "God" means "the Supreme Being." But those definitions need a lot of filling out, because there are natural follow up questions to such shorthand definitions. They don't do much work but to give a basic signal of where we start with those concepts.

As for the definition of "reality," let me just begin with the claim I've heard from others, "Reality is what pushes back against our wishes." That, too, is too little to say, but it has to do as a starting point.

Now where do you want to go with all that?
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:21 am Are you equating tacit knowledge with faith?
Not precisely. Personal knowledge is an articulation of one aspect of faith, when the term "faith" is not erroneously treated as explicitly religious only.
Could you define 'faith'?
I just have, for VA, above. That's a "starting point" definition I have been using in my earlier discussion.
Then could you connect your Christian faith with Polyani's tacit knowledge? How is your faith an example of tacit knowledge, Polyani's version, that is?
In "personal knowledge," the key idea is of the investment of a "person" in the thing being known. One might say, one commits to an action or supposition which one does not fully yet understand, often within a field of knowledge in which one is merely 'apprenticing' (so to speak) and then becomes more knowledgeable of it as a result. That's about where Polanyi goes with it, though that's still too little to say of his thesis.

Faith, like personal knowledge, is a commitment of self to the thing being known. But ordinary personal knowledge is merely knowledge of facts and phenomena. There is an exercise of faith in that, but faith is more than that, as well. Faith is a faculty that is relevant to knowing metaphysical truth, as well as physical phenomena. It serves for both: one might suppose personal knowledge to serve primarily for the latter, rather than the former.

I'm not sure how far Polanyi will let us take personal knowledge into the metaphysical realm. It seems he will, for some distance. So I can't say with a hard line drawn that Polanyi stops at physical phenomena. But I tend to think that faith is the larger category, and personal knowledge is seated within it, and I tend to associate the term personal knowledge primarily with the more "secular" matters, and faith with both the religious and the secular.

In sum, personal knowledge is a species of faith, not faith a species of personal knowledge. Like "siamese" is a subcategory of cat, but "cat" is not a subcategory of "siamese," personal knowledge is a subcategory of faith, but faith is not merely the equivalent of what Polanyi means when he talks about "personal knowledge."
In general I think this is a good direction for theists to go. Call faith 'intuition' and then also a 'doing', so practice is involved. Then demonstrations of God are participation in the practices of the religion rather than propositional arguments.
I hear Marx turning in his grave. :D

I agree with you that faith and practices are essentially linked, for sure. As the book of James says, "Faith without works is dead, being by itself." Faith must be acted upon, and involve personal commitment, or it is really not faith. But one cannot merely eliminate the faith and take the practices in their place: because one can do the "works" and yet have no faith at all. The Bible likewise makes that clear, as in condemnation of the Pharisees by Jesus Christ in Matthew 7:22:23 -- "Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’" He accepts that they have "done the deeds," so to speak, but their hearts were always in the wrong place, so their deeds amounted to "lawlessness." So to God, the heart matters as much as what the hands are doing.

That truism is easy to illustrate. A man may give to charity, yet not be a charitable man. For instance, if I give to charity but only do so that I may make headlines and turn heads, I have done the works but have not personal commitment to the value of charity. Likewise, if I pledge a thousand dollars to charity but never write the cheque, I am also not making the personal commitment to the charity I only say I believe in doing. So the two are tightly linked: but there are two things required by genuine faith. They are (1) an actual, truthful belief in the value as a proposition, and (2) the practical action of following through on that proposition in reality, as much as it's possible for me to do.
It's not, however, how most Abrahamists use the word 'faith' - well, there are a lot of versions.
Many "Abrahamists" would not use the word at all, actually. But being an "Abrahamist" is irrelevant, really, because the Bible says that Abraham is not some kind of fount of God's blessing, as if mere association with his name made one good, but rather an exemplar of an ordinary man who found extraordinary favour with God by having this genuine faith of which we have been speaking.
So, how does tacit knowledge play out for you in your faith?
Are you meaning "tacit" or "personal"? Because they are different subcategories, of course.
And then if you are arguing that faith is a kind of tacit knowledge, this would generally mean that no rational argument can produce it.
I haven't called faith "tacit." Interesting that you choose that word. That's a new term here.

I think there can be "tacit" knowledge: intuitive knowledge would be an example, since one has perhaps never articulated it. We have tacit knowledge of how to walk: we don't describe the steps to ourselves every time we do it; we just "know" that one foot goes before the other...and all the other elements of balance and speed involved are likewise "tacit" whenever we walk. Polanyi himself uses the example of riding a bicycle: people "know" how to do it, but almost nobody knows the physical principles on which the ability to ride a bike actually entirely depends. (He makes a fascinating discussion of those principles, which actually have to do with a succession of accellerating falling actions utilizing the disparities between circumferences on sides of the tires, coordinated with an undetected back-and-forth in the steering head.) That's "tacit" knowledge: knowledge of things one cannot explicitly articulate to oneself.

But we now have three distinct terms: "faith," "personal knowledge" and "tacit knowledge" with which to deal, and we will have to keep them from being accidentally switched or amphibolized when we speak about them, or we shall confuse the issue and lose our way, I suspect.
Is this what you believe? Do you feel like you can present an argument for the existence of God that a rational, open person should be convinced by, or is faith like tacit knowledge?
I am conviced (I do not merely "feel" it) that one can present an argument for the existence of God that a rational, open person should be convinced to accept. But since knowing is "personal," meaning that it requires a commitment of the person himself in order to know, it's quite possible for such an argument to be presented and the recipient simply to refuse it.

And I think Polanyi would certainly agree about that.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:29 pm I just have, for VA, above. That's a "starting point" definition I have been using in my earlier discussion.
Briefly, "faith" is conviction of things that can only be known probabilstically.
So, if you're a poker player and you weigh your odds of winning, this is faith?
I don't think this is what Polyani meant by tacit knowledge, even if some of it is probablistic. Ah, ok, I see below you are working with personal knowledge not tacit knowledge. Let's see what's up....
In "personal knowledge," the key idea is of the investment of a "person" in the thing being known. One might say, one commits to an action or supposition which one does not fully yet understand, often within a field of knowledge in which one is merely 'apprenticing' (so to speak) and then becomes more knowledgeable of it as a result. That's about where Polanyi goes with it, though that's still too little to say of his thesis.
I can relate to this. I've mentioned this in discussions with atheists in relation to demands for online proof, suggesting instead that participation and practice are the route. I think this is more obvious outside mainstream Western theist contexts because there is so much argument in Western Abrahamic traditions. Words.
Faith, like personal knowledge, is a commitment of self to the thing being known. But ordinary personal knowledge is merely knowledge of facts and phenomena. There is an exercise of faith in that, but faith is more than that, as well. Faith is a faculty that is relevant to knowing metaphysical truth, as well as physical phenomena. It serves for both: one might suppose personal knowledge to serve primarily for the latter, rather than the former.
I agree with the first sentence as far as the process of investigation, but 'the thing being known' could be a messy abstraction for these two processes. Faith, at least for most theists, when they have it, is in the conclusion. In science faith is in the methodology but the conclusion may not be what one expected. Now a theist could certainly have faith in the process also, but this is generally coupled to the faith that God exists.
I'm not sure how far Polanyi will let us take personal knowledge into the metaphysical realm. It seems he will, for some distance. So I can't say with a hard line drawn that Polanyi stops at physical phenomena. But I tend to think that faith is the larger category, and personal knowledge is seated within it, and I tend to associate the term personal knowledge primarily with the more "secular" matters, and faith with both the religious and the secular.
It's fine with me if Polyani doesn't explicly or even implicitly think that his idea of personal knoweldge 'works' with what get characterizes as metaphysical claims or explorations. I'm happy to extend his idea into realms he didn't intend.

But I'm balking at a difference. Polyani, with personal knowledge, it seems to me, is arguing that passion and emotion aid the scientist. Fine. Agreed. However once the process of performing an experiment is finished and if the results warrent it, a dispassionate process in the scientific community works on confirming or disconfirming the results. Sure, the other scientists may be passionate and curious say, but there is the mechanical process of confirmation.

And I am not sure that the passions and emotions are really a kind of faith as you define it or other theists do - those that focus on faith. Many theists do not think in terms of faith (at least not contrasted with belief).
In sum, personal knowledge is a species of faith, not faith a species of personal knowledge. Like "siamese" is a subcategory of cat, but "cat" is not a subcategory of "siamese," personal knowledge is a subcategory of faith, but faith is not merely the equivalent of what Polanyi means when he talks about "personal knowledge."
I don't really see it. But I understand what you are saying in this paragraph.
Well, theists and atheists alike tend not to like this. There are theists who get it and I have had atheists acknowledge it's a reasonable response. But it's not popular, especially in philosophy forums, since it more or less is saying: hey, this format is a limited one. I think there is an assumption in philosophy forums (a generalization) that anything that is true can be somehow demonstated online via words on a screen. But that's only one way we learn.
I agree with you that faith and practices are essentially linked, for sure. As the book of James says, "Faith without works is dead, being by itself."
I mean practices more in the practicing the violin sense: as in learning a skill or set of skills: You need to learn by repetition, participation and potentially getting guidance during the apprenticeship. Works or good works in Christianity, at least, seems more focused on being a moral person. To make this clearer practice is key and explict in the big Eastern religions: Hinduims and Buddhism. It is central to meditate (or chant). You are learning to connect to Shiva or Brahma or the Budda, even if the last is not really a deity.

There's an interpersonal facet also. A bit like learning how to be a good partner - in marriage, in art, in business.
Faith must be acted upon, and involve personal commitment, or it is really not faith. But one cannot merely eliminate the faith and take the practices in their place: because one can do the "works" and yet have no faith at all.
This is again where it seems to differ from science. Belief can be the result of practices. But here it seems like faith comes first then practices. I don't think that works. YOu may be born into a religion and take it all as true, but if you actually engage in the practices with any passion you will probably realize you didn't know very much at all for a long time.

Intuition, my original comparison (or was it yours? anyway it's one I've made for a while) is generally learned.
The Bible likewise makes that clear, as in condemnation of the Pharisees by Jesus Christ in Matthew 7:22:23 -- "Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’" He accepts that they have "done the deeds," so to speak, but their hearts were always in the wrong place, so their deeds amounted to "lawlessness." So to God, the heart matters as much as what the hands are doing.
I tend to think most things are processes. Including processes of the heart.
That truism is easy to illustrate. A man may give to charity, yet not be a charitable man. For instance, if I give to charity but only do so that I may make headlines and turn heads, I have done the works but have not personal commitment to the value of charity. Likewise, if I pledge a thousand dollars to charity but never write the cheque, I am also not making the personal commitment to the charity I only say I believe in doing. So the two are tightly linked: but there are two things required by genuine faith. They are (1) an actual, truthful belief in the value as a proposition, and (2) the practical action of following through on that proposition in reality, as much as it's possible for me to do.
And I think you have to practice your way to personal knowledge. IOW the practices I am talking about in science might be a biologist observing animals, mulling what she is seeing, making guesses and seeing if they come true, ruling out factors in the animal's behavior, perhaps making controlled interventions to see effects - just some practices that they need to practice. Later comes the belief that in baboons females tend to X when there is a change in the alpha male. In religion there are practices like prayer, contemplation, reading the Bible and contemplating that, participation in rituals, as some examples off the top of my head. Then you get faith. Because you have learned something. It doesn't prove it to others. There isn't the short term type of confirmation process you can have in science where some Austrian baboon biologists come down to Africa and see if their observations match yours when they intervene in the group. And in chemisty the distance is even greater (Polyani's science). In science you practice your way to belief. You seem to be saying you have belief first and then express/act from this. I think that happens later, or at the very least is not a complete description.
Many "Abrahamists" would not use the word at all, actually. But being an "Abrahamist" is irrelevant, really, because the Bible says that Abraham is not some kind of fount of God's blessing, as if mere association with his name made one good, but rather an exemplar of an ordinary man who found extraordinary favour with God by having this genuine faith of which we have been speaking.
I'm hust using the term as a shorthand for Islam, Christianity and Judaism.
I haven't called faith "tacit." Interesting that you choose that word. That's a new term here.
I think Polyani is better known for his ideas around tacit knowledge than those around his idea of personal knowledge. They are not unrelated, but when you mentioned Polyani without any specifics I immediately went to his ideas on tacit knowledge, which I think are very relevant to 'faith/intuition'.

But now I know what you're focused on.
I think there can be "tacit" knowledge: intuitive knowledge would be an example, since one has perhaps never articulated it. We have tacit knowledge of how to walk: we don't describe the steps to ourselves every time we do it; we just "know" that one foot goes before the other...and all the other elements of balance and speed involved are likewise "tacit" whenever we walk. Polanyi himself uses the example of riding a bicycle: people "know" how to do it, but almost nobody knows the physical principles on which the ability to ride a bike actually entirely depends. (He makes a fascinating discussion of those principles, which actually have to do with a succession of accellerating falling actions utilizing the disparities between circumferences on sides of the tires, coordinated with an undetected back-and-forth in the steering head.) That's "tacit" knowledge: knowledge of things one cannot explicitly articulate to oneself.
Sure.
But we now have three distinct terms: "faith," "personal knowledge" and "tacit knowledge" with which to deal, and we will have to keep them from being accidentally switched or amphibolized when we speak about them, or we shall confuse the issue and lose our way, I suspect.
I don't think it's so easy to separate them in Polyani. I'm trying to find a good comparison/contrast, but I'll start here...
Tacit knowledge is contrasted with explicit or propositional knowledge. Very loosely, tacit
knowledge collects all those things that we know how to do but perhaps do not know how to
explain (at least symbolically). The term “tacit knowledge” comes to us courtesy of Michael
Polyani, a chemical engineer turned philosopher of science. This biographical detail is not
incidental, for Polanyi emerged from his laboratory with the news that the philosophers had
scientific practice all wrong: their account of how science proceeds was massively weighted
toward the propositional, encoded, formulaic knowledge that is exchanged between
laboratories, and almost totally ignorant of the set of skills that are required to actually work
in one of those laboratories.
Polanyi’s motivation is that we recognise the importance of this second, embodied
(and hence “personal”) sort of knowledge, and that we collapse the hierarchy that sees handson skills and unwritten rules neglected and devalued, whilst the propositional report is
privileged. Tacit knowledge is messy, difficult to study, regarded as being of negligible
epistemic worth. Proper knowledge exists in propositional form (which is, conveniently,
much easier to study).
As far as I can tell Personal knowledge is a specific category of Tacit knowledge. Here are some of the types of Tacit knowledge...
Personal Knowledge
Knowledge that cannot be made explicit because it relates to the knower’s body and background. It avoids subjectivity by relating individual discoveries to collective standards. “It seems reasonable to describe this fusion of the personal and the objective as Personal Knowledge” (Polanyi, 1958, iv)

Embedded Knowledge
Knowledge that cannot be made explicit because it exists in objects, buildings, artworks, or other material artifacts; or, because it exists sub- or unconsciously within individuals and/or communities.

Embodied Knowledge
Knowledge that resides in the capacities of individuals, learnt and refined through practice and training. This is somatic tacit knowledge, related to the “the nature of the human body and brain” (Collins, 2008, 2).

Enacted Knowledge
Knowledge that is performed, practiced, made, crafted or otherwise produced, resulting in tangible or observable outputs but whose operation occurs solely in action.

Situated Knowledge
Knowledge that eschews objectivity in favor of the positional, partial, personal and/or specific to a culture/site/place. “Situated knowledges are about communities, not about isolated individuals. The only way to find a larger vision is to be somewhere in particular” (Haraway, 1988, 590).

Communities of Tacit Knowledge
Knowledge related to a particular culture, practice, school, or other group defined and differentiated by their shared tacit knowledge. Adapted from the term “Community of Practice” (Lave & Wenger, 1991).

Collective Tacit Knowledge
Knowledge that cannot be made explicit because it operates as a changing network of reference points within society. It is “the knowledge that the individual can acquire only by being embedded in society” (Collins, 2008, 11).

Relational Tacit Knowledge
Knowledge which could be made explicit but is kept hidden whether deliberately or not: “the reasons range from deliberate secrecy to failure to appreciate someone else’s need to know” (Collins, 2008, 11).
I am conviced (I do not merely "feel" it) that one can present an argument for the existence of God that a rational, open person should be convinced to accept.
Which to me puts it outside tacit knowledge and thus personal knowledge. You can articulate this proof. You don't need the person to engage in prayer, rituals, etc. They can be convinced via words.
But since knowing is "personal," meaning that it requires a commitment of the person himself in order to know, it's quite possible for such an argument to be presented and the recipient simply to refuse it.
Well, of course. But if you think it should be convincing I don't think that knowledge falls under what Polyani is focusing on.
And I think Polanyi would certainly agree about that.
I'm sure he would agree with the negative idea. Of course people can be resistant to logic and reasoning.

But if you think a reasoned proof of God should convince rational non-believers and shift them to being believers, then we are not talking about what Polyani was. You are able to make this knowledge explict via words and the apprentice need not engage in long practice and repetition to gain the skills that are the knowledge of the various tacit types.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

No science just describes phenomena, it doesn't attempt to explain it like theism does.

I mean there are scientific causal explanations (x is becuz y happened) but in the strictest sense such explanations are again only descriptions; they describe a contiguity of events and don't 'explain' why x followed y. They only report that x followed y.
Veritas Aequitas

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:51 pm
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:39 am What is your definition of 'faith' 'God' and reality.
I've given my definition of "faith" and of "God" multiple times, in multiple posts. Briefly, "faith" is conviction of things that can only be known probabilstically." And "God" means "the Supreme Being." But those definitions need a lot of filling out, because there are natural follow up questions to such shorthand definitions. They don't do much work but to give a basic signal of where we start with those concepts.

As for the definition of "reality," let me just begin with the claim I've heard from others, "Reality is what pushes back against our wishes." That, too, is too little to say, but it has to do as a starting point.

Now where do you want to go with all that?
I am reading Polanyi's Science, Faith & Religion. Will present my counter later when I have finished reading the book.

Noted your 'briefly',
"faith" is conviction of things that can only be known probabilstically."
"God" means "the Supreme Being."
"Reality is what pushes back against our wishes."

I find your definition of 'faith' and 'reality' a bit weird.

Why not,
Faith = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faith

Reality = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:04 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:29 pm I just have, for VA, above. That's a "starting point" definition I have been using in my earlier discussion.
Briefly, "faith" is conviction of things that can only be known probabilstically.
So, if you're a poker player and you weigh your odds of winning, this is faith?
In a manner of speaking, yes. But gambling is an example of bad faith, unwarranted faith, since the gambler actually has the odds against him. If he were calculating probabilities accurately, he wouldn't gamble. There's a reason all the casinos are stinking rich: he should do the math.
I can relate to this. I've mentioned this in discussions with atheists in relation to demands for online proof, suggesting instead that participation and practice are the route. I think this is more obvious outside mainstream Western theist contexts because there is so much argument in Western Abrahamic traditions. Words.
Words are very important. But words are also more than the Western tradition generally has recognized in them. Words are tied to other things, like personal responsibility, duty to act, morality, truth, the identity and integrity of a speaker, and to reality itself...those are important concerns, to be sure. Words untethered from these things, though, can mislead. And arguments that are purely intellectual are what we call "fruitless," invoking a metaphor that draws attention back for a need of uniting of words with action.
I agree with the first sentence as far as the process of investigation, but 'the thing being known' could be a messy abstraction for these two processes. Faith, at least for most theists, when they have it, is in the conclusion. In science faith is in the methodology but the conclusion may not be what one expected. Now a theist could certainly have faith in the process also, but this is generally coupled to the faith that God exists.
I'd say that's not a significant distinctive...at least as far as the process involved goes. The Atheist or Materialist simply takes a different first premise on faith: he has faith that no God exists, and proceeds on that basis.

But faith, rightly understood, is more than something one affixes to a conclusion. One always has to have it in first premises...there's no other way to know anything at all, actually. But then one also must use faith as part of a process: the Christians call it, "the life of faith." Faith is not a one-time, propositional thing, for them; it's a way of orienting oneself to the world, and of choosing one's actions accordingly, and of addressing the vicissitudes of life, as well as an attitude to the hope of certain outcomes. And if that fuller picture of faith has been lost, it's a tragedy. But the fault is not with faith itself, but with the people who have understood it as less than a full pattern of life.
It's fine with me if Polyani doesn't explicly or even implicitly think that his idea of personal knoweldge 'works' with what get characterizes as metaphysical claims or explorations. I'm happy to extend his idea into realms he didn't intend.
Well, as I say, he certainly does let it get across the boundary between strictly physical phenomena and metaphysical concerns. I just don't want to speak for him as to how far he allows.
But I'm balking at a difference. Polyani, with personal knowledge, it seems to me, is arguing that passion and emotion aid the scientist.
"Passion"? "Emotion?" I don't recall him invoking those at all. No, his idea of personal knowledge is not those things, but rather the venture of commitment of a person to a particular proposition. Passion and emotion may or may not be involved in a given case, but they aren't any part of Polanyi's conception of the essence of knowledge.

Now, if you were to say "intuition," I think Polanyi would be on board, particularly when we get to what he calls "tacit knowledge." But even that needs nuancing, I think.
Fine. Agreed. However once the process of performing an experiment is finished and if the results warrent it, a dispassionate process in the scientific community works on confirming or disconfirming the results. Sure, the other scientists may be passionate and curious say, but there is the mechanical process of confirmation.
Yes...?
And I am not sure that the passions and emotions are really a kind of faith as you define it or other theists do - those that focus on faith. Many theists do not think in terms of faith (at least not contrasted with belief).
As I say, neither Polanyi nor I make "passion" or "emotion" any synonyms -- or even any essential feature -- of knowing. So I don't think that's a problem.
Well, theists and atheists alike tend not to like this. There are theists who get it and I have had atheists acknowledge it's a reasonable response. But it's not popular, especially in philosophy forums, since it more or less is saying: hey, this format is a limited one. I think there is an assumption in philosophy forums (a generalization) that anything that is true can be somehow demonstated online via words on a screen. But that's only one way we learn.
To be honest, I think this is like the relation between all human beings and philosophy. Most people don't bother philosophizing. That's not to say they don't have a tacit philosophy, or a tacit set of beliefs that they use to orient themselves in the world; clearly, everybody has to have that. But what I mean is that they don't make that philosophy so formal and explicit as real philosophers want to do.

Most folks are more pragmatic. They need to live their lives, and they get as much of the philosophy into themselves as they feel they need to function; but rare are the opportunites when they feel they have time or desire to push the boundaries of that much. There are simple Atheists, and simple Theists. There are half-informed Atheists, and half-informed Theists. And there are a few of each who have a taste for pushing the limits of their actual knowledge, or who become teachers or professors of the thing. But there tend to be fewer folks who have the higher-level philosophical knowledge than there are those who are just getting by with the philosophy they already have.
I agree with you that faith and practices are essentially linked, for sure. As the book of James says, "Faith without works is dead, being by itself."
I mean practices more in the practicing the violin sense: as in learning a skill or set of skills: You need to learn by repetition, participation and potentially getting guidance during the apprenticeship. Works or good works in Christianity, at least, seems more focused on being a moral person.
That's a recent innovation, and has much more to do with Western individualism than anything. Historical Christianity is rather communally-concerned. And in fact, even today, you'll find that most social help and social welfare organizations either began with Christianity, or still are dependent on it.

In fact, Christianity has a lot to say about the kind of conduct that is becoming to the community of the faithful. And while it puts the responsibility on the individual for the most part (with some exceptions, like the opening three chapters of Revelation, for example), it reasons and explains these in terms of the duties of the individual to the community and the world.

At the end of the day, making faith strictly individualistic is probably nearly as wrongheaded as to make it dependent on mere cognitive assent rather than on belief-plus-action.
To make this clearer practice is key and explict in the big Eastern religions: Hinduims and Buddhism. It is central to meditate (or chant). You are learning to connect to Shiva or Brahma or the Budda, even if the last is not really a deity.
There are Christian practices, too, of course; but they're rather different from those "practices." One could easily argue that the whole Christian life is, in fact, a practice; but unlike those others, it's not divorced from content or propositional belief. It's got both.

The Eastern meditator tries to vacate his mind. The Christian or Jew tries to occupy it with the Word of God, meditating on the knowledge of God. They're opposite orientations, it's true: but both have their practices, and both use the term "meditation," at least, even if their concepts are different.
Faith must be acted upon, and involve personal commitment, or it is really not faith. But one cannot merely eliminate the faith and take the practices in their place: because one can do the "works" and yet have no faith at all.
This is again where it seems to differ from science. Belief can be the result of practices. But here it seems like faith comes first then practices. I don't think that works.

Well, it certainly "works" in relationships. Take the conversation we're having right now: without some good faith on your part and mine, it would not be possible. Or better still, take the case of a young man considering asking a young woman out for the first time. He has to believe it's possible that something good will happen if he takes that risk. But he does not know. He may have a few indications -- she smiled at him, her friends say she's interested, perhaps -- but he's pretty unsure, all the same. He has to decide whether or not to make that personal investment that is involved in asking her, or he'll never find out. He's got to start with a step of faith.

Once he takes that first risk, though, he finds his faith is justified: she says "Yes," perhaps. And his confidence and knowledge of her increase as he spends time with her -- that's the practice -- and he has more faith in her after a few dates than he had before...and so faith and practice become cyclical and mutually-reinforcing in his experience with her.

I think that's a pretty natural sort of flow.

The same is sometimes even true in science. The experimenter on a genuinely new experiment does not know what his "practice" wiil produce, before he does the "practice." He has to start with faith; but if his experiment works, then the practice informs further confidence. He realizes it's worth doing the experiment again, or in a somewhat different way, so as to strengthen his confirmation. And so again, and again, and again...
YOu may be born into a religion and take it all as true, but if you actually engage in the practices with any passion you will probably realize you didn't know very much at all for a long time.
That is true of everybody. We come into this world knowing practically nothing at all, in fact.
And I think you have to practice your way to personal knowledge.
That can happen. But practice actually never comes before faith, because faith is required for even the most rudimentary actions. Once practice is in play, though, it certainly can increase and modify knowledge. That's just what it means to "learn something."
IOW the practices I am talking about in science might be a biologist observing animals, mulling what she is seeing, making guesses and seeing if they come true, ruling out factors in the animal's behavior, perhaps making controlled interventions to see effects - just some practices that they need to practice.
Okay, but those practices have to be organized in some way, because otherwise, the biologist doesn't know what "observations," or "guesses" or "rulings in or out," or "interventions" are relevant, and which are right to exclude from his concerns. He can't include every back scratch or yip the baboons make as determinative of something important; there may be gestures or yips that ARE relevant, but he'll only know that with reference to some goal or hypothesis he's already got.

And where did he get that hypothesis? Not from the observations themselves, obviously; he hadn't even made them, at that point. Something pre-verbal, something hopeful, something speculative motivated him, and made him choose to impose the structure of relevance-non-relevance that now governs his observations and data. Polanyi's interested in that, too; and he has some neat things to say about that. It's a rather spooky process. Something makes it possible for us, tacitly, to set certain data in the background and others in the foreground of our consciousness. But it's not the data itself that does this: it's something else.
In religion there are practices like prayer, contemplation, reading the Bible and contemplating that, participation in rituals, as some examples off the top of my head. Then you get faith. Because you have learned something.
That's certainly one way.
You seem to be saying you have belief first and then express/act from this. I think that happens later, or at the very least is not a complete description.
Well, take a look at what I just said about the biologist, and see if that modifies your thoughts about me on that question.
It's not, however, how most Abrahamists...I'm hust using the term as a shorthand for Islam, Christianity and Judaism.
I know. But it's not a very good term, and it's a really unfortunate conflating of conflicting belief systems. Islam's "Abraham" isn't the Abraham of the Torah. And Islam, while it's called "a faith" is actually a religion of works. Islam's God is even quite different from the Jewish YHWH, having quite different features and a very different will. It's not by accident that the Islamists hate the Jews and Christians with great enthusiasm: all sides know they're not of-a-piece.
I think Polyani is better known for his ideas around tacit knowledge than those around his idea of personal knowledge. They are not unrelated, but when you mentioned Polyani without any specifics I immediately went to his ideas on tacit knowledge, which I think are very relevant to 'faith/intuition'.
Yes. He does have a lecture series called "Tacit Knowing, Truthful Knowing." But the concept of "tacit" knowing is somewhat different and distinct from his concept "personal knowing." They have some overlap, but aren't the same.
As far as I can tell Personal knowledge is a specific category of Tacit knowledge.

Well, they're both related to the mechanics of knowlege, as Polanyi sees it, obviously. But whereas the former emphasizes the element of personal, embodied commitment to a particular knowledge-proposition or situation, the latter emphasizes those situations in which the knowledge cannot be articulated easily. Personal knowledge can be made explicit; tacit knowledge, by definition, is not.
I am conviced (I do not merely "feel" it) that one can present an argument for the existence of God that a rational, open person should be convinced to accept.
Which to me puts it outside tacit knowledge and thus personal knowledge.
No, it's still IN the "personal knowledge" category, because the bodily commitment is there. But it's not "tacit," so long as I can articulate it.
You can articulate this proof. You don't need the person to engage in prayer, rituals, etc. They can be convinced via words.
It depends. Who's the person in question?

Polanyi would say it matters. So would I. Some people can be convinced by purely cerebral arguments, perhaps. Some require experiences of the divine. Some find their way to God through prayer, reading, meditation, and so on. But most people find that all these play significant roles in what they come to know as the life of faith. Different folks may find different ones their best entry-point; but they all end up being engaged with all of them, one way or another.
But since knowing is "personal," meaning that it requires a commitment of the person himself in order to know, it's quite possible for such an argument to be presented and the recipient simply to refuse it.
Well, of course. But if you think it should be convincing I don't think that knowledge falls under what Polyani is focusing on.
Oh, it does. One thing Polanyi is adamant about is that you cannot separate the issue of the "knowing" from the "person" who is involved in it. A person who is set not to be convinced will not be convinced, even by the most elaborate of miracles. (Christ Himself said that, actually.)
Veritas Aequitas

Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:38 am Oh, it does. One thing Polanyi is adamant about is that you cannot separate the issue of the "knowing" from the "person" who is involved in it.
I have read Polanyi's Science, Faith and Society first round.
Here is a general view and we can go into the details if need be.

I noted Polanyi's focus is not so much on 'faith' which is of the typical definition, i.e.
faith: strong belief in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual conviction rather than proof.
He merely mentioned faith-proper a few times;
  • I do not assert that eternal Truths are automatically upheld by men.
    We have learnt that they can be very effectively denied by modern man.
    Belief in them can therefore be upheld now only in the form of an explicit profession of faith.
  • Thus to accord validity to Science—or to any other of the … domains of the mind—is to express a faith which can be …ld only within a community.
    We realize here the connection between Science, Faith and Society adumbrated in essays.
Perhaps your definition,
"faith" is conviction of things that can only be known probabilstically."
can be
"faith" is conviction that TRUTH [God] exists without a need for empirical proofs which are limited to personal knowledge and the human conditions.

Rather, Polanyi's focus is on the hidden spiritual Truth beyond all phenomena.
The basis of Polanyi's philosophy is theism grounded on philosophical realism, i.e. things and God are absolutely mind-independent.

As such, whatever the human activity, e.g. science [no matter how arrogant] or whatever, they are grounded on personal knowledge and confined to the individual itself.
  • I accept it moreover as inevitable that each of us must start his intellectual development by accepting uncritically a large number of traditional premisses of a particular kind;
    and that, however far we may advance thence by our own efforts, our progress will always remain restricted to a limited set of conclusions which is accessible from our original premisses.

To grasp the essence of this Truth or God, men can only rely on faith [as defined].
  • The advancement of well-being therefore seems not to be the real purpose of society but rather a secondary task given to it as an opportunity to fulfil its true aims in the spiritual field.
    Such an interpretation of society would seem to call for an extension in the direction towards God.
  • If the intellectual and moral tasks of society rest in the last resort on the free consciences of every generation, and these are continually making essentially new additions to our spiritual heritage, we may well assume that they are in continuous communication with the same source which first gave men their society-forming knowledge of abiding things.

How near that source is to God I shall not try to conjecture.

But I would express my belief that modern man will eventually return to God through the clarification of his cultural and social purposes.
    Knowledge of reality and the acceptance of obligations which guide our consciences, once firmly realized, will reveal to us God in man and society.

Polanyi's explanation of human activities as inevitable grounded on the individual and therefrom the community is similar to what I had been proposing with my FSKs, i.e. Framework and System of Realization [FSR] or Knowledge [FSK].

Because philosophical realism is illusory
Why Philosophical Realism is Illusory
viewtopic.php?t=40167
for me there is no ultimate Truth beyond the phenomena world.

To me,
What is truth, fact, reality, knowledge, objective is conditioned upon a specific human-based FSK.
There is no mind-independent Truth nor God.

Point is Polanyi's grounding on theism which is fundamentally philosophical realism is grounded on an illusion.

It is Impossible for God to be Real
viewtopic.php?t=40229

There is no such thing as a mind-independent TRUTH hidden beyond all phenomenon that science and other fields of human knowledge.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:39 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:38 am Oh, it does. One thing Polanyi is adamant about is that you cannot separate the issue of the "knowing" from the "person" who is involved in it.

I noted Polanyi's focus is not so much on 'faith' which is of the typical definition, i.e.
faith: strong belief in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual conviction rather than proof.
I have not seen him give any summary like this. Please supply the reference.
"faith" is conviction that TRUTH [God] exists without a need for empirical proofs which are limited to personal knowledge and the human conditions.
That's clearly your own invented definition, or one you borrowed from somebody who'd never considered anything but the debased version of "faith," what Sartre calls, "bad faith."
There is no such thing as a mind-independent TRUTH hidden beyond all phenomenon that science and other fields of human knowledge.
The statement you just made above is presented to me as a mind-independent truth, is it not?

If it's not, then all you mean is, "VA thinks there is no mind-independent truth, but that's just in VA's mind." But if that's all you mean, then nobody has to agree. All it means is, "VA doesn't know any mind-independent truths."

On the other hand, if you're presenting it to other people as something they ought to believe, you're having to assert it as a mind-independent truth. You have to be implying, "Whether your mind knows it or not, there is no truth for you to know."

But then, you've just declared a mind-independent truth.

Since you're going to be mistaken both ways, we can ignore that claim.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Insofar as scientists base investigations on a theory of reality/truth(e.g. such as the primacy of human reason) then science is " based on faith". However theism goes further and presupposes not only reason but also supernatural authority.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

promethean75 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:35 pm No science just describes phenomena, it doesn't attempt to explain it like theism does.
It doesn't try to explain it like theism does, but it does try to explain many things.
I mean there are scientific causal explanations (x is becuz y happened) but in the strictest sense such explanations are again only descriptions; they describe a contiguity of events and don't 'explain' why x followed y. They only report that x followed y.
Scientists produce models of all sorts of things. They provide explanations for all sorts of things: why animals do X, for example....
transitive verb
a
: to make known
explain the secret of your success
b
: to make plain or understandable
footnotes that explain the terms
: to give the reason for or cause of
unable to explain his strange conduct
: to show the logical development or relationships of
explained the new theory
Or look at all the research that explains something....
https://www.sciencedaily.com/search/?ke ... gsc.page=1
Veritas Aequitas

Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:13 pm
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:39 am

I have not seen him give any summary like this. Please supply the reference.
I have read Polanyi's book' he did not provide the above summary, but I had summarized from what I have read from his book.

Hey! did you read my above post thoroughly, here again;
  • He [Polanyi] merely mentioned faith-proper a few times;

I do not assert that eternal Truths are automatically upheld by men.
    We have learnt that they can be very effectively denied by modern man.
    Belief in them can therefore be upheld now only in the form of an explicit profession of faith.

Thus to accord validity to Science—or to any other of the … domains of the mind—is to express a faith which can be …ld only within a community.
    We realize here the connection between Science, Faith and Society adumbrated in essays.
One can get an idea of what 'faith' meant to Polanyi from the above, see point below;
That's clearly your own invented definition, or one you borrowed from somebody who'd never considered anything but the debased version of "faith," what Sartre calls, "bad faith."
Nope.
The above is how I interpret as Polanyi's idea of 'what is faith'.
If not, show me with reference, what do you think is Polanyi's definition of what is faith.
The statement you just made above is presented to me as a mind-independent truth, is it not?
The statement I posted is presented in association with my mind, so it cannot be mind-independent truth.
If it's not, then all you mean is, "VA thinks there is no mind-independent truth, but that's just in VA's mind." But if that's all you mean, then nobody has to agree. All it means is, "VA doesn't know any mind-independent truths."

On the other hand, if you're presenting it to other people as something they ought to believe, you're having to assert it as a mind-independent truth.
You have to be implying, "Whether your mind knows it or not, there is no truth for you to know."

My argument 'there is no mind-independent truth' is based on this argument;

Why Philosophical Realism is Illusory
viewtopic.php?t=40167
i.e.
  • 1. Theists believe in a mind-independent God [the absolute truth] which is grounded on Philosophical Realism;
    2. Philosophical Realism is illusory [argument above]
    3. Therefore God is an illusion.
In addition,
Polanyi assume that science is based on philosophical realism, i.e. there is a mind-independent Truth that science is trying to discover.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_realism
During his time in the 1940s, logical positivism was the dominant forces using science as their backing.
Polanyi argued against logical positivism and scientism pointing out that atheists were chasing after the false truths, whereas there is an ultimate truth i.e. God. Note the references I quoted in blue in my previous post.

You threw in Polanyi's book to insist that science relied on faith like those of theism.
However, I don't see that as the main theme in Polanyi's book.

As I had argued, science as practiced since the beginning is based on 'empirical adequacy' plus critical thinking with the acknowledgement of its inherent weaknesses.
Most modern scientists reject the view that science is striving to discover mind-independent truths out there and is getting closer and closer to them.
Van Fraasen: There are No Laws of Nature [mind-independent or from God]
viewtopic.php?t=40451

If any faith is relied upon by scientist, it is insignificant that is polished off via intersubjective peer reviews and consensus.

Popper had stated and many agreed, scientific truths are at best 'polished conjectures' or 'polished hypothesis' which can be rejected upon new evidence that show otherwise.
Despite is weaknesses, Objective Scientific truths and facts conditioned upon the scientific FSK is the most credible, reliable and objective which is the standard for all other FSKs.

Two Senses of 'Objective'
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=39326
Scientific Objectivity
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=39286

What other truths can be more objective than the scientific truths and objectivity [even taking into account its weaknesses]?
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:40 am
Nope.
The above is how I interpret as Polanyi's idea of 'what is faith'.
"How I interpret"? :shock: Why should we care how somebody else chooses to merely "interpret"? What matters is only if it's true for both of us; and you'd need to show it is. In other words, you'd need to show it as an objective truth, which, as below, you've insisted is impossible.
The statement I posted is presented in association with my mind, so it cannot be mind-independent truth.
That's a mental error.

To say that something passes through one's mind doesn't say that it's a "truth." It might well be nothing but a delusion, in such a case. Delusions happen. Whether it's a truth or not will depend on whether or not reality corresponds to that belief one holds.

If your declaration is presented as an objective truth, then it's falsified your claim that truth is mind-dependent: it will be always and universally true, whether your mind knows it or not. But if you're offering at as merely mind-dependent, your own feeling or subjective view, then my mind and the minds of others do have any reason to accept what you believe.

Either your argument self-defeats, as in the first case, or it fails to matter, as in the second.

Pick your way to fail, I guess.

On the other hand, if you're presenting it to other people as something they ought to believe, you're having to assert it as a mind-independent truth.
You have to be implying, "Whether your mind knows it or not, there is no truth for you to know."

My argument 'there is no mind-independent truth' is based on this argument...
We don't care. And we don't have to care. Truth, you tell us, is "mind dependent." And our minds don't agree with yours, perhaps. But if you say we must care, then you've tried to declare an objective truth, and truth isn't "mind-dependent."

That's a pretty obvious catch-22. Your argument there is so obviously wrong there's nothing left to say to save it.

Pick your way to fail. There's no other option left, given your suppositions.