The Christianity Moral FSK is the Most Effective at Present

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Veritas Aequitas

Re: The Christianity Moral FSK is the Most Effective at Present

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:39 am Something is objective if it wins a popularity contest, right. I'm really not on board with any of the ways you choose to use language, I can't see any point to using the word this way outside of crafting ways to confuse people.

There's already an adjective for beliefs that are held by a lot of people, and it's not "objective". It's "popular". If I get my towel book published and a lot of people believe it, the belief isn't "objective", it's "popular" or "common", or even "ubiquitous" if it gets popular enough, but none of those things are synonyms with "objective". There's no reason to take the word "objective" and make it a synonym with "popular", when the word "popular" already exists
The scientific fact that 'Water is H2O' is also 'popular' because even school kids will accept that but at the same time it is objective.

I do not make "objective" synonymous with "popular" merely on the words alone.

The critical criteria for objectivity in my case is the presence of a human-based FSR-FSK.
Many things can be popular, common, or even 'ubiquitous' and yet are objective.
The USD dollar is common and popular but is considered 'objective' because of the presence of a FSK underlying its existence.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

I think you're misunderstanding something. I'm not disputing whether popular things can be objective. I'm disputing the idea that being popular MAKES something objective. Your h2o example makes me think you haven't grokked that.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:58 am I think you're misunderstanding something. I'm not disputing whether popular things can be objective. I'm disputing the idea that being popular MAKES something objective. Your h2o example makes me think you haven't grokked that.
I had never implied "being popular MAKES something objective."

Note I wrote:
The critical criteria for objectivity in my case is the presence of a human-based FSR-FSK not being popular nor common.

What you had ignored is the "human-based FSR-FSK" in determining what is objective.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Write a book, it gets popular, now it's objective. :shock:
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

I don't know why you're saying now that you never implied popularity was part of the equation. These are your words:
If your belief "My towel is a god" is accepted by a large group of people who form a club or association with a Constitution to support it, then it qualify as a FSK, thus that would be objective.
I'm not inventing this. You said it.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:35 am I don't know why you're saying now that you never implied popularity was part of the equation. These are your words:
If your belief "My towel is a god" is accepted by a large group of people who form a club or association with a Constitution to support it, then it qualify as a FSK, thus that would be objective.
I'm not inventing this. You said it.
Ask him how many people currently subscribe to his morality-proper FSK.

Suddenly he has to have "confidence" that one day there will be more than just himself, and that "confidence" is the basis for him assigning it a credibility score of something like 97 cedibles even though it meets his own factual threshold for nothing more than 0.0000000000001 credibles.