Keep the Middle Way

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

Keep the Middle Way

Post by Gary Childress »

I'm coming to see the world a little less in terms of ideals and more in terms of an economy. I suspect it is because I'm a citizen of the United States and I want peace. Chomsky is right. "American exceptionalism" can manifest itself as a disease.
Harbal

Re: Keep the Middle Way

Post by Harbal »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:57 pm I'm coming to see the world a little less in terms of ideals and more in terms of an economy.
I'm not as adventurous, or as curious, as you, Gary. I only look at my immediate surroundings. 8)
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Harbal wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:56 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:57 pm I'm coming to see the world a little less in terms of ideals and more in terms of an economy.
I'm not as adventurous, or as curious, as you, Gary. I only look at my immediate surroundings. 8)
I suppose that's something you are able to do. I can't seem to do that. No matter where I am, the whole world is there too. The threat has been made by Putin to use Nuclear weapons if Russia loses in Ukraine. Nuclear arsenals are being revived, rejuvenated, and put on alert. The chances of miscalculations or accidents increase with the increase in tensions. If it were only a matter of warriors who want glory fighting each other on the battlefield, then I would say let them fight if that's what they want to do. However, if it could involve catastrophic consequences for all, then we are drifting into irrationality and extremism.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:17 pm
I suppose that's something you are able to do. I can't seem to do that.
Honestly, Gary, it hardly takes any effort at all.
The threat has been made by Putin to use Nuclear weapons if Russia loses in Ukraine.
I don't listen to or read any news, so I didn't know that, and I'll have forgotten about it again before I have the chance to start worrying. 8)
However, if it could involve catastrophic consequences for all, then we are drifting into irrationality and extremism.
Even though I don't concern myself with it, it makes me feel a little safer knowing that others are worrying on my behalf.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote="Gary Childress" post_id=652965 time=1688216278 user_id=6477]
I'm coming to see the world a little less in terms of ideals and more in terms of an economy. I suspect it is because I'm a citizen of the United States and I want peace. Chomsky is right. "American exceptionalism" can manifest itself as a disease.
[/quote]

Legitimate pragmatism is in addition to, not instead of idealism. It's practical, not intentional. The practical must serve a valid intent.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:57 pm I'm coming to see the world a little less in terms of ideals and more in terms of an economy. I suspect it is because I'm a citizen of the United States and I want peace. Chomsky is right. "American exceptionalism" can manifest itself as a disease.
Exceptionalism is a process of relinquishing one's humanity, second world war was a grand example of German and Japanese exceptionalism. The tradition of colonialism is also a grand example of exceptionalism in both British and American colonialism. Exceptionalism is a statement of superiority and as such conditions the psyche in egocentric arrogance, a precondition for making war. War is America's cottage industry, in the larger scale of the industrial military complex. The United States is the greatest threat to world peace in the present, this is underline I believe by its being the subject of global hatred. Exceptionalism is anything but the middle way.

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:17 pm
I suppose that's something you are able to do. I can't seem to do that. No matter where I am, the whole world is there too. The threat has been made by Putin to use Nuclear weapons if Russia loses in Ukraine.
you speak as though the one human been known as "vladimir putin" is the ONLY one TO BLAME for EVERY 'thing' here.

Now, OBVIOUSLY, if the people of ANOTHER country or OTHER countries were NOT DOING what they ARE DOING, then 'that one person' would NOT 'feel' that 'it' HAS TO DO what 'it' IS DOING.

BUT, the typical response of the adult human being, back in the days when this was being written, was to LOOK AT and BLAME "others" ONLY, INSTEAD OF LOOKING AT what 'they', "themselves", were DOING, and CONTRIBUTING TO 'the mess'.
Gary Childress wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:17 pm Nuclear arsenals are being revived, rejuvenated, and put on alert.
If 'they' are, then this MEANS that 'they' had NOT been removed, replaced, put AWAY for good in the FIRST PLACE.

So, WHY have the people of the country that 'you' live in "gary childress" KEPT, and kept BUILDING MORE and MORE, so-called 'advanced nuclear arsenal' "yourselves", where they CAN BE revived, rejuvenated, and put on alert?

By the continual creation of MORE and MORE 'weapons' it is like 'you', people, WANT MORE and MORE 'WARS'.

AND, if you DO 'IT' FOR so-called 'defense' or 'protection', then 'this' would make me wonder, WHY do "other" people WANT TO destroy 'you', people, FOR, EXACTLY?

WHAT could 'you', people, possibly BE DOING that would make "others" HATE 'you' SO MUCH?

Or, do 'you' NOT WANT TO LOOK AT, and ANSWER, these types of QUESTIONS, and INSTEAD just BLAME "the others", completely?

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:17 pm The chances of miscalculations or accidents increase with the increase in tensions. If it were only a matter of warriors who want glory fighting each other on the battlefield, then I would say let them fight if that's what they want to do. However, if it could involve catastrophic consequences for all, then we are drifting into irrationality and extremism.
So, what you are essentially SAYING here is; If "others" want to KILL "themselves", then let 'them' DO IT. BUT, if 'i', of ANY one i like or love, could be hurt in absolutely ANY way AT ALL, then do NOT 'fight' nor 'kill' "each other". Which, AGAIN, brings us BACK TO just how GREEDY and SELFISH 'these adults' REALLY WERE, back in the days when this was being written.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Age wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:45 am So, what you are essentially SAYING here is; If "others" want to KILL "themselves", then let 'them' DO IT. BUT, if 'i', of ANY one i like or love, could be hurt in absolutely ANY way AT ALL, then do NOT 'fight' nor 'kill' "each other". Which, AGAIN, brings us BACK TO just how GREEDY and SELFISH 'these adults' REALLY WERE, back in the days when this was being written.
Do you know how to read? You're looking for demons to destroy. Include yourself in the list with the rest of us if you want to be thorough. Or maybe it's everyone else's problem, not yours. You're posts are getting vomit worthy.

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:32 am
Age wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:45 am So, what you are essentially SAYING here is; If "others" want to KILL "themselves", then let 'them' DO IT. BUT, if 'i', of ANY one i like or love, could be hurt in absolutely ANY way AT ALL, then do NOT 'fight' nor 'kill' "each other". Which, AGAIN, brings us BACK TO just how GREEDY and SELFISH 'these adults' REALLY WERE, back in the days when this was being written.
Do you know how to read?
Does it appear to you that I do NOT?

If yes, then WHY, EXACTLY?
Gary Childress wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:32 am You're looking for demons to destroy.
NO I AM NOT.

I ALREADY KNOW WHERE and WHAT 'the demons' ARE, EXACTLY.
Gary Childress wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:32 am Include yourself in the list with the rest of us if you want to be thorough.
WHEN have i NOT?
Gary Childress wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:32 am Or maybe it's everyone else's problem, not yours.
IF 'the mess', which HAS BEEN CREATED BY 'you', adult human beings, is NOT 'your' so-called 'problem', then WHO'S is 'it'?

Talk ABOUT ASKING if one KNOWS HOW TO READ, I suggest 'you' SEEK OUT and GAIN CLARIFICATION BEFORE 'you' continue to MAKE ASSUMPTIONS, and JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS, like 'you' ARE DOING and SHOWING here. That way 'you' WILL NOT BE SO Wrong, AS OFTEN, as 'you' ARE here.
Gary Childress wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:32 am You're posts are getting vomit worthy.
AND, 'your' complete and utter MISINTERPRETING and complete LACK OF ANY 'responsibility' is BECOMING MORE and MORE OBVIOUS, even to 'the readers' of the days when this is being written.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Age wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:45 am
Gary Childress wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:17 pm I suppose that's something you are able to do. I can't seem to do that. No matter where I am, the whole world is there too. The threat has been made by Putin to use Nuclear weapons if Russia loses in Ukraine.
you speak as though the one human been known as "vladimir putin" is the ONLY one TO BLAME for EVERY 'thing' here.
No. That is not what I'm saying.
The chances of miscalculations or accidents increase with the increase in tensions. If it were only a matter of warriors who want glory fighting each other on the battlefield, then I would say let them fight if that's what they want to do. However, if it could involve catastrophic consequences for all, then we are drifting into irrationality and extremism.
So, what you are essentially SAYING here is; If "others" want to KILL "themselves", then let 'them' DO IT. BUT, if 'i', of ANY one i like or love, could be hurt in absolutely ANY way AT ALL, then do NOT 'fight' nor 'kill' "each other". Which, AGAIN, brings us BACK TO just how GREEDY and SELFISH 'these adults' REALLY WERE, back in the days when this was being written.
No. That is NOT what I'm saying.

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:19 am
Age wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:45 am
Gary Childress wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:17 pm I suppose that's something you are able to do. I can't seem to do that. No matter where I am, the whole world is there too. The threat has been made by Putin to use Nuclear weapons if Russia loses in Ukraine.
No.
WHY did you write, 'No', here?

you now seem to, AGAIN, also NOT be reading and understanding what I am ACTUALLY SAYING, WRITING, and MEANING here.

I NEVER WROTE, SAID, NOR ASKED what you were SAYING NOR MEANING here, so there IS NO 'no' NOR 'yes' here. I just EXPRESSED what SEEMED or APPEARED to me to be the case, which, OBVIOUSLY, is IRREFUTABLE and can NOT be logically DISPUTED.
Gary Childress wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:19 am That is not what I'm saying.
Okay, so what were and are you SAYING, and MEANING?

Have not so-called "leaders" of other countries threatened to use nuclear weapons?
Gary Childress wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:19 am
The chances of miscalculations or accidents increase with the increase in tensions. If it were only a matter of warriors who want glory fighting each other on the battlefield, then I would say let them fight if that's what they want to do. However, if it could involve catastrophic consequences for all, then we are drifting into irrationality and extremism.
No. That is NOT what I'm saying.
So, what, EXACTLY, are you saying and meaning here?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Age wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:08 am So, what, EXACTLY, are you saying and meaning here?
I'm saying and meaning exactly what I wrote and nothing more. You're welcome to go back and reread if you truly want to know.

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:39 pm
Age wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:08 am So, what, EXACTLY, are you saying and meaning here?
I'm saying and meaning exactly what I wrote and nothing more. You're welcome to go back and reread if you truly want to know.
NO NEED TO.

you have ALREADY SAID and EXPRESSED ENOUGH here, as well as SHOWN what was Truly MEANT. Even if 'you' can NOT YET SEE and UNDERSTAND 'it'.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Age wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:34 am
Gary Childress wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:39 pm
NO NEED TO.

you have ALREADY SAID and EXPRESSED ENOUGH here, as well as SHOWN what was Truly MEANT. Even if 'you' can NOT YET SEE and UNDERSTAND 'it'.
Ok, Mr. "You adults". If your interpretation of what I "truly" mean suits your agenda, then blame everyone but yourself. Enjoy.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

You're really giving him more attention than is advisable.