Consciousness requires something more than functionality isomorphic to Turing Machine?

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Darkneos

Re: Consciousness requires something more than functionality isomorphic to Turing Machine?

Post by Darkneos »

Skepdick wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:30 pm
Darkneos wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:30 pm
Skepdick wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:28 pm
Produce the algorithm which runs on a Turing Machine and determines that I am "wrong" and consider this settled...

Otherwise that's the 4th time you are wrong about be being wrong.
You’re just wrong dude.
You are just wrong about me being wrong dude.
Well at least you’ve accepted being wrong, that’s progress I guess.
Skepdick

Re: Consciousness requires something more than functionality isomorphic to Turing Machine?

Post by Skepdick »

Darkneos wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:32 pm
Darkneos wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:30 pm
You’re just wrong dude.
Does this sort of rhetorical self-congratulatory idiocy work for you in practice?
Darkneos

Post by Darkneos »

Skepdick wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:37 pm
Does this sort of rhetorical self-congratulatory idiocy work for you in practice?
Yep
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Darkneos wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:42 pm
Yep
Great! So produce the working algorithm which proves me wrong.
Darkneos

Post by Darkneos »

Skepdick wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:46 pm
Yep
But you’re wrong.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Darkneos wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:47 pm
Yep
But you’re wrong.
Then why can't you produce the proof/program?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry%E2% ... espondence
Darkneos

Post by Darkneos »

Skepdick wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:53 pm
Darkneos wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:47 pm
But you’re wrong.
Then why can't you produce the proof/program?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry%E2% ... espondence
Because you’re just wrong
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Darkneos wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:25 pm
commonsense wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:52 pm
Impenitent wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:41 pm

have you ever met anyone with autism?

-Imp
No. Must they not be conscious?
Swing and a miss
Seriously, are people who are mute, not conscious? Am I missing what your comment says? How can that be?

Wait a minute, are you saying that I missed the ball or that you did? Are you rudely mocking me or are you humbly admitting a mistake?

Or are you saying that Imp made a mistake?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Darkneos wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:44 pm
bahman wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:36 pm
Darkneos wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:41 pm
Mind is something that has always been assumed but never proven to be a thing. As far as we know everything is brain stuff, so much like a self if there was a mind there wouldn’t be anything for it to do.
No, the mind is needed for the experience. Any experience needs an experiencer. As I said, the experience cannot happen in a vacuum.
Darkneos wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:41 pm You do need a brain for consciousness thought maybe not a mind.
You definitely need a brain for thoughts but without a mind, there could not be any experience so no thought.
Darkneos wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:41 pm Not sure what you mean by experience not having a casual power.
Experience is not a thing with the ability to cause. That is the mind that experiences and causes.
Again you’re really not proving a mind exists just asserting there is one. Like I said we don’t really have evidence for it.
Actually, I have an argument for the existence of the mind: Consider a change in a substance, X to Y. X and Y do not occur at the same point since otherwise there could be no change and the process is simultaneous. Therefore, X and Y should occur at different points in time. This means that there is a gap between X and Y so X cannot possibly cause Y. Therefore there must be a mind with the ability to experience X and cause Y.
Darkneos

Post by Darkneos »

bahman wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:26 pm
bahman wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:36 pm
No, the mind is needed for the experience. Any experience needs an experiencer. As I said, the experience cannot happen in a vacuum.

You definitely need a brain for thoughts but without a mind, there could not be any experience so no thought.

Experience is not a thing with the ability to cause. That is the mind that experiences and causes.
Again you’re really not proving a mind exists just asserting there is one. Like I said we don’t really have evidence for it.
Actually, I have an argument for the existence of the mind: Consider a change in a substance, X to Y. X and Y do not occur at the same point since otherwise there could be no change and the process is simultaneous. Therefore, X and Y should occur at different points in time. This means that there is a gap between X and Y so X cannot possibly cause Y. Therefore there must be a mind with the ability to experience X and cause Y.
Nope, literally none of that is true nor does it imply a mind. A logical argument isn’t proof of anything.

This just sounds like argument from ignorance.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Darkneos wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:46 pm
Nope, literally none of that is true nor does it imply a mind.
Nope, it is true and implies a mind.
Darkneos wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:46 pm A logical argument isn’t proof of anything.
Seriously!?
Darkneos wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:46 pm This just sounds like argument from ignorance.
Ahan. That shows your ignorance to understand my argument.
Darkneos

Post by Darkneos »

bahman wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:54 pm
Darkneos wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:46 pm A logical argument isn’t proof of anything.
Seriously!?
Darkneos wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:46 pm This just sounds like argument from ignorance.
A logical argument isn’t proof of anything. Logic just shows conclusions follow from premises but that doesn’t make the premises true and they’ve been wrong before.

Also you’re delusional if you think this proves a mind. Literally none of it follows. X and y can occur at the same time, the process would just be instant but still change.

“Should” is just explaining what you want to be true not what is and then it fails from there. A gap between things doesn’t mean X doesn’t cause Y.

Nevermind that the conclusion doesn’t even follow one bit from this. You just kinda shoehorn mind in there
Last edited by Darkneos on Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Darkneos wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:56 pm

Seriously!?
A logical argument isn’t proof of anything. Logic just shows conclusions follow from premises but that doesn’t make the premises true and they’ve been wrong before.

Also you’re delusional if you think this proves a mind. Literally none of it follows
Which part does not follow?
Darkneos

Post by Darkneos »

bahman wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:59 pm

Seriously!?

Also you’re delusional if you think this proves a mind. Literally none of it follows
All of it.

You just want there to be a mind an it shows in the “logic”
bahman

Post by bahman »

Darkneos wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:03 pm
bahman wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:59 pm

All of it.
Could you please elaborate?
Darkneos wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:03 pm You just want there to be a mind an it shows in the “logic”
No. I prove that there is a mind.