How Should I Live?

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

How Should I Live?

Post by Philosophy Now »

The following readers’ answers to this central human question each win a book.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/103/How_Should_I_Live
Impenitent

Re: How Should I Live?

Post by Impenitent »

“Live fast, die young and have a good-looking corpse!” - John Derek

-Imp
Gary Childress

Re: How Should I Live?

Post by Gary Childress »

I don't have an answer to how "should" I live. I live as close to the way that seems fit or right to me as I can tolerate. I don't smoke, don't do drugs, don't break many laws other than speed limits sometimes (to a limited extent), or do "rolling stops" at stop signs sometimes. I abstain pretty well from physical harm but am wrongfully verbally abusive on the Internet at times when I perceive some others are refusing to acknowledge valid points in what I'm saying or they make clearly erroneous remarks that I feel they should know better than to make. I tend to be generous and relatively kind to people when I meet them in person. However, the Internet clearly brings out the worst in me. It's like being stuck in traffic on the freeway and yelling to myself at the guy who can't hear me who is blocking traffic--except I type out rants on the Internet where the people I rant about can see them. And now that I've typed the above, I perceive I 'should' stop ranting at others. Anger management on the Internet would obviously be a good thing for me.