Consequentiliast author recommendation- doctoral research-healthcare ethics

For the discussion of philosophical books.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Bioethicist

Consequentiliast author recommendation- doctoral research-healthcare ethics

Post by Bioethicist »

Dears,

I hope everyone is well. I am a PhD student in applied ethics/bioethics. My research focuses in professional pharmacy ethics. In particular, I am investigating three ethical dilemmas that pharmacists face during their daily practice (patient's data protection, allocation of scarce medicines and dispensation of emergency oral hormonal contraceptives to females). My methodological starting point is a particular moral theory which belongs to the non-utilitarian consequentialist moral theories. For my thesis I need to compare this particular moral theory to the work of another important contemporary consequentialist author and either criticise it or agree with it. I would like to kindly ask you if you know of an important contemporary consequentialist author whose work I could use. I have already read several books e.g M. Walzer''s "Spheres of Justice" but I do not find them a very good for healthcare and pharmacy ethics.i would highly appreciate any recommendation or suggestion since it could help me tremendously in these early phases of my research. thank you very much in advance for your time and have a nice day.
jeffreystanger

Re: Consequentiliast author recommendation- doctoral research-healthcare ethics

Post by jeffreystanger »

Well, I suggest you should try reading the book Reasons and Persons by Derek Parfit.In "Reasons and Persons," Parfit examines various consequentialist theories, including hedonistic utilitarianism, and offers his own unique perspective on consequentialism. Although Parfit does not explicitly present a non-utilitarian consequentialist moral theory in the book, his exploration of consequentialism and his alternative views on ethical reasoning can be valuable for your research.territorial io

By studying "Reasons and Persons," you can gain insights into Parfit's critique of traditional consequentialist theories and their implications. You can then compare Parfit's views to the work of another important contemporary consequentialist author, as you mentioned in your question.