Having escaped a cult after 50 years I'm here to say hi!

Tell us a little about yourself.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Re: Having escaped a cult after 50 years I'm here to say hi!

Post by Age »

Wizard22 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:22 am
Age wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:05 amI hope you did NOT leave one cult, only to enter another one like the one that is existing in the days when this is being written, which is LED by 'the love-of-money' and indoctrinates children into BELIEVING that they need TO WORK and OBTAIN MONEY over just about ANY 'thing' ELSE.
IS this THE cult 'YOU' come 'FROM' age'?'
In a sense this is a very resounding, Yes.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:58 pm
BYBH:

A common tactic of the forum rhetoricians: rephrasing what you post then attributing the rephrasing to you. It seems they reflect back your meaning in the rephrasing, but: they do not.

Keep your guard up.
Huh?
And while "here and now" you seem rather adamant regarding things like abortion and guns and mentally ill transgender folks, you do acknowledge that BYBH him or herself might post new information and knowledge here that prompts you to completely change your mind about these things.
henry quirk wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:20 pmNope. Never said it.
Note to BYBH:

That's a flagrant lie. On the "a defense of drag show/drag queens" thread, he flat out admitted that new information and knowledge might prompt him to change his mind about these issues:
iambiguous wrote:...you recognize that given new information and knowledge, you may well be in here concluding just the opposite of what you believe now.
henry quirk wrote:
Yep.
How exactly am I rephrasing "Yep" here, henry?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

iambiguous wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:23 pmHow exactly am I rephrasing(?)
Here's an example...
iambiguous wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:10 pmyou'll note that God created the human condition and God installed in all of us the capacity to "follow the dictates of Reason and Nature".
I never said, in any post, in any thread, God created the human condition. I said, God created the initial conditions necessary for free wills to come to be in a deterministic universe. Surely, you can see the difference, yeah? If anyone created the human condition (if there's such a thing), it was mankind, by way of our aggregated and on-going choices.

I never said, in any post, in any thread, God installed in all of us the capacity to "follow the dictates of Reason and Nature". I said God created man as a free will with natural rights and man has the capacity to recognize and respect those natural rights. Surely, you see the difference, yeah? Our understanding of natural rights is intuitive. We don't reason natural rights out.

You attribute to me things I did not, do not, say or believe, and will not defend.

There are many such examples I could cite, across multiple threads, but why should I bother? You won't admit diddly and I'd just be off on another wild ride thru rhetorician's land.

No Thanks.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:05 pm
Here's an example...
Wait, back up. On another thread you confirmed that given new information and knowledge [from BYBH, from me, from anyone] you might change your mind about abortion, guns and mentally ill transgender folks. You might come here arguing just the opposite of what you do now.

Also, you keep promising to cite examples for me of times in the past where something new happened or you met someone new or new information did come your way about "something important" in your life and you did change your mind about it. Something along the lines of abortion, guns and mentally ill transgender folks.

Indicating [to me] that existentially it can happen again prompting you to change your mind again.
iambiguous wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:10 pmyou'll note that God created the human condition and God installed in all of us the capacity to "follow the dictates of Reason and Nature".
henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:05 pmI never said, in any post, in any thread, God created the human condition. I said, God created the initial conditions necessary for free wills to come to be in a deterministic universe. Surely, you can see the difference, yeah? If anyone created the human condition (if there's such a thing), it was mankind, by way of our aggregated and on-going choices.
Okay, so given those initial conditions, this God that you believe in "in your head" but can provide us with no actual proof of beyond just one more "leap of faith" like these guys -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_r ... traditions -- do, how do you connect the dots between free will and being reasonable and natural? And in such a way that the Benjamin Button Syndrome and the manner in which I connect the dots between human identity, value judgments, conflicting goods and political economy to dasein is not applicable to you?

Given a particular context of your own choosing.
henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:05 pm I never said, in any post, in any thread, God installed in all of us the capacity to "follow the dictates of Reason and Nature". I said God created man as a free will with natural rights and man has the capacity to recognize and respect those natural rights. Surely, you see the difference, yeah? Our understanding of natural rights is intuitive. We don't reason natural rights out.
And how is human intuition not manifesting itself existentially given contingency, chance and change in an ever evolving world historically and culturally? And in terms of all the vastly different sets of circumstances that human beings can find themselves in? From their indoctrination as children to the uniquely personal experiences and friendships and ideas they come into contact with as adults.

Either someone's intuition can lead him or her to the optimal frame of mind regarding abortion, guns and transgender politics or intuition itself is rooted largely in dasein. Existentially, subjectively, subjunctively.

Your God installed in us the capacity to intuit but that says nothing about what different folks intuit differently about abortion, guns and human sexuality?

Instead, given the life you lived, you came to acquire one set of moral and political prejudices rather than another; and merely dismiss the part where this is rooted existentially in dasein in order to sustain the psychological comfort and consolation you embody in believing that your own value judgments really do reflect the most rational and natural vantage point of all. Only all of these folks... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_p ... ideologies ...are clamoring to insist that no, you are wrong unless you think like they do.
henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:05 pm There are many such examples I could cite, across multiple threads, but why should I bother? You won't admit diddly and I'd just be off on another wild ride thru rhetorician's land.

No Thanks.
Gasp! Stooge stuff!!
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

iambiguous wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:10 pm
Called it...
henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:05 pm You won't admit diddly
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

ME:
henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:05 pm
Here's an example...
Wait, back up. On another thread you confirmed that given new information and knowledge [from BYBH, from me, from anyone] you might change your mind about abortion, guns and mentally ill transgender folks. You might come here arguing just the opposite of what you do now.

Also, you keep promising to cite examples for me of times in the past where something new happened or you met someone new or new information did come your way about "something important" in your life and you did change your mind about it. Something along the lines of abortion, guns and mentally ill transgender folks.

Indicating [to me] that existentially it can happen again prompting you to change your mind again.
henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:05 pmI never said, in any post, in any thread, God created the human condition. I said, God created the initial conditions necessary for free wills to come to be in a deterministic universe. Surely, you can see the difference, yeah? If anyone created the human condition (if there's such a thing), it was mankind, by way of our aggregated and on-going choices.
Okay, so given those initial conditions, this God that you believe in "in your head" but can provide us with no actual proof of beyond just one more "leap of faith" like these guys -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_r ... traditions -- do, how do you connect the dots between free will and being reasonable and natural? And in such a way that the Benjamin Button Syndrome and the manner in which I connect the dots between human identity, value judgments, conflicting goods and political economy to dasein is not applicable to you?

Given a particular context of your own choosing.
henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:05 pm I never said, in any post, in any thread, God installed in all of us the capacity to "follow the dictates of Reason and Nature". I said God created man as a free will with natural rights and man has the capacity to recognize and respect those natural rights. Surely, you see the difference, yeah? Our understanding of natural rights is intuitive. We don't reason natural rights out.
And how is human intuition not manifesting itself existentially given contingency, chance and change in an ever evolving world historically and culturally? And in terms of all the vastly different sets of circumstances that human beings can find themselves in? From their indoctrination as children to the uniquely personal experiences and friendships and ideas they come into contact with as adults.

Either someone's intuition can lead him or her to the optimal frame of mind regarding abortion, guns and transgender politics or intuition itself is rooted largely in dasein. Existentially, subjectively, subjunctively.

Your God installed in us the capacity to intuit but that says nothing about what different folks intuit differently about abortion, guns and human sexuality?

Instead, given the life you lived, you came to acquire one set of moral and political prejudices rather than another; and merely dismiss the part where this is rooted existentially in dasein in order to sustain the psychological comfort and consolation you embody in believing that your own value judgments really do reflect the most rational and natural vantage point of all. Only all of these folks... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_p ... ideologies ...are clamoring to insist that no, you are wrong unless you think like they do.
HIM:
henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:15 pm
Called it...
henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:05 pm You won't admit diddly
How can this sort of "post" not be utterly embarrassing to him?!!

Now, however, he's over on another thread floating up in the clouds with AJ.

:lol:

No, seriously.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

iambiguous wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:10 amNow, however, he's over on another thread floating up in the clouds with AJ.
How do you figure that? AJ and me never actually tussled, on the ground or in the air. We never got out of the startin' gate.

Interestin' how you have no comment on my actual conversation with FJ and instead fixate on a conversation that didn't actually happen.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

BiteYerBumHard wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:46 am Hi everyone.

I was indoctrinated into a cult as a child. I woke up at the age of 60 and have embraced a more epistemological approach to what I believe and why.

I recognise the dangers I face in falling back into any form of belief or world view without due diligence.

Since waking up in 2017, I have been looking more closely at philosophy and how I can apply it to things I should and shouldn't believe.

It's been a tough path losing friends and family, but I feel cleansed with a clearer view of my place in the universe.
What cult?
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

It seems our OP writer, BYBH, has moved on...and despite the great welcoming he got here...?
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Iwannaplato wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:07 pm It seems our OP writer, BYBH, has moved on...and despite the great welcoming he got here...?
Probably got scared because we don't take kindly to objectivist scum round these parts. He's probably a Taliban Nazi or some shit, cocksucker.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:09 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:07 pm It seems our OP writer, BYBH, has moved on...and despite the great welcoming he got here...?
Probably got scared because we don't take kindly to objectivist scum round these parts. He's probably a Taliban Nazi or some shit, cocksucker.
While I'm a fan of hyperbole, I should remind you that the most pernicious moral realists need not be members of fringe groups, they could be anti-racists or people who work in charity organizations, who think some behaviors are objectively better than others. There's many a nursing home volunteer I've had to shun.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Iwannaplato wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:04 pm
Flannel Jesus wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:09 pm
While I'm a fan of hyperbole, I should remind you that the most pernicious moral realists need not be members of fringe groups, they could be anti-racists or people who work in charity organizations, who think some behaviors are objectively better than others. There's many a nursing home volunteer I've had to shun.
Like I said, cocksuckers.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

After viewing this forum, he decided his cult wasn't that bad afterall... >.>
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:05 pm I said God created man as a free will with natural rights and man has the capacity to recognize and respect those natural rights. Surely, you see the difference, yeah? Our understanding of natural rights is intuitive. We don't reason natural rights out.
So if our intuition tells us we have a natural right, then we have that natural right?

What if I intuitively feel I have a natural right to sell you into slavery, henry? :|
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Wizard22 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:18 am After viewing this forum, he decided his cult wasn't that bad afterall... >.>
:mrgreen:
I think we advertised ourselves with great honesty. Many ignored the person in his own thread. Others brought in their own pet peeves and started fights. We saved him weeks, perhaps months, that it otherwise might have taken him to realize he deserved a better place to celebrate his new-found freedom.