What it Means to be Human: Blade Runner 2049

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

What it Means to be Human: Blade Runner 2049

Post by Philosophy Now »

Kilian Pötter introduces the big ideas and problems around artificial consciousness.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/155/What_it_Means_to_be_Human_Blade_Runner_2049
Impenitent

Re: What it Means to be Human: Blade Runner 2049

Post by Impenitent »

we will breed the perfect human- and it will be artificial...

-Imp

Post by Age »

Impenitent wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:49 pm we will breed the perfect human- and it will be artificial...

-Imp
Is an artificial tree', for example, an actual tree'?

If yes, the HOW, EXACTLY?

But if no, then HOW, EXACTLY, could a so-called 'perfect tree' be bred, 'artificially'?

Also, what is 'a human', EXACTLY, and, HOW does 'it' supposedly DIFFER from a so-called 'perfect human', EXACTLY?
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

"Ah Mrs. Worthington, good morning. Taking Mr. Min out for a walk?" Jack said, cheerfully. Mrs. Worthington, a bit confused, "Good morning Jack, yes, but the name's Ms. Jenny." It was Jack's turn to get confused. "This is the male leopard and his name is Mr. Min, no?" Mrs. Worthington was baffled by this, "Good heavens Jack, no, Ms. Jenny's a female French poodle!!" Jack stood there, carefully looking at the animal and calmy corrected Mrs. Worthington, "No, it's a male leopard and his name is Mr. Min." Mrs. Worthington was speechless. Jack was adamant, "Mrs. Worthington, no need to be alarmed, the leopard isn't dangerous. A quick question. Did Mr. Min sleep longer than usual?" "Why, yes! Ms. Jenny was still asleep when I woke up, 6:00 AM, I always get up at that time. Since I've had her, 2 years now, she's always been up before me," Mrs. Worthington replied. "Mr. Min Mrs. Worthington and he's a leopard," Jack reminded Mrs. Worthington.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Impenitent wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:49 pm we will breed the perfect human- and it will be artificial...

-Imp
and so not human.

Perfect for what? According to whose criteria? Perfect at what?

Is a healthy crow flawed?