What's the problem with scalpers?

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

fy&ur4vDf

Re: What's the problem with scalpers?

Post by fy&ur4vDf »

Walker wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:57 am
Flannel Jesus wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:42 pm I was looking at this thread

https://www.reddit.com/r/therewasanatte ... l_jordans/

and this question occurred to me:

What's the ethical difference between a scalper and any ol' store that buys goods from wholesale places and sells them for a profit?

Forgive me if the solution is obvious and very basic, I'm just coming up blank here.
Scalpers are not authorized which means the transaction can't be automatically traced or taxed.

I wonder if this is why governments have issues with bitcoins and stuff. Or maybe the reasoning is different.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

fy&ur4vDf wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:33 pm
Walker wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:57 am

What's the ethical difference between a scalper and any ol' store that buys goods from wholesale places and sells them for a profit?

Forgive me if the solution is obvious and very basic, I'm just coming up blank here.
Scalpers are not authorized which means the transaction can't be automatically traced or taxed.

I wonder if this is why governments have issues with bitcoins and stuff. Or maybe the reasoning is different.
No. It's not the only reason. There are other reasons too. But, yes. It's a complicated thing. Governments are doing their best right now.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

In the olden days of barter trading, someone could have "scalped" someone in exchanging a chicken for a cow. Assuming there is no coercion, this is basic economics principle of Supply vs Demand.

Assuming there is no coercion, misrepresentation, basically there is no difference between a scalper and any ol' store that buys goods from wholesale places and sells them for a profit - its supply vs demand plus Caveat Emptor.

If there are laws that stipulated it is illegal to sell those things without a proper business license, the only ethical consideration is that of breaking rules and be exposed to possible penalties within the rules [political or social].

Note, I view Ethics-General as encompassing Morality-proper and Ethics-proper.
Morality-proper focus on evil acts while Ethics-proper focus on virtues and general 'good' behaviors' both pertain to the well-beings of the individual[s] and therefrom humanity.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

It's all got to do with walls. That much I know. Perhaps I should qualify that last statement but then that would be an illegal chess move.